SOTS Aliens converted for Traveller?

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Itharus

SOTS Aliens converted for Traveller?

Post by Itharus » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:03 am

Just wondering how many of ya'all have used SOTSVerse stuff in games of Traveller, and what sorta stat-lines you used for the assorted aliens if you have.

I'm using Mongoose 2nd ed. right now, which I've been told isn't too far off from even the original version of the game in that sort of thing.

I'm particularly interested to know if anyone's statted up Zuul (male and female) cuz honestly everything about that race just screams "kick-ass villains".

Honestly, I suspect Kerberos folks themselves have already been through this :D
Go Hiver or go home!

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: SOTS Aliens converted for Traveller?

Post by Mecron » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:58 am

Lol my SotS conversions are all for original 1978 traveller stats :twisted:

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:09 pm

From what I've been told, the stats are more or less the same* :) I'm just mostly used to D&D 2nd through 3.5 and the Roll20 stuff they used for the latter and its derivatives, so I struggle putting the physical attributes into the right perspective sometimes.

I like this system better so far though, honestly. As a bonus, it seems to work better with theater of the mind instead of all that grid based minis nonsense they've been pushing so much the last couple decades.

*For perspective: you roll the 2d6 for your stats, then add bonuses and penalties. The maximum stats a non-augmented human can achieve cap at 15 iirc. Good luck getting there, though... heh. All rolls, char gen careers, and specifically trying for it in game -- none of that sissy power gaming point buy nonsense ^_^. For comparison's sake... Aslan are at +2str -2dex in MgT2.

On a somewhat unrelated note: I ran into this game because I'm looking for various games that lend well to being played while blind. The system in use here seems to work pretty well without ever touching a visual. All the data the game can throw at you for ships and what not can be easily tossed in an excel sheet and you can navigate that by audio and keystrokes very easily. Games like pathfinder can be done blind as well, but require a bit of conversion and fudging to do it. Honestly this system lends well to fantasy games as well as sci fi though, so that's pretty nice.

The real challenge is trying to figure out how to play Star Fleet Battles and Federation Commander by touch O_O.

But I digress :)
Go Hiver or go home!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:26 pm

The fun part is less character stats and more generating the career dev charts for everyone's major occupations. And of course, species unique skills! :twisted:

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:55 pm

That's the greater portion of the work, for sure. Call me weird, though, but I rather think the cultural part is fun, and consider it an enjoyable part of the process.

Mostly I'm just trying to figure how they compare physically. Aslan for comparison, in Mongoose 2nd ed, are +2str -2dex. Some google-fu shows that Aslan were +1str -1dex +1end in Classic Traveller. Aslan males being around 2m tall, plus or minus a bit, and 100kg.

Female Zuul, based on ye olde SOTS Premium Lore Book (love that thing), are about the same height but around 75kg heavier. They're also mentioned to have very sturdy and dense bones though, so how much of that is muscle? Mecron, do you think they'd have more than a +2str bonus? I imagine they'd definitely have some bonus endurance. I don't think I'd let a player roll one up, but I am curious about a stat treatment (instead of just treating it like an animal) for NPC usage.

So with Aslan males as a reference, how'd you judge it?
Go Hiver or go home!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:09 pm

Female Zuul....hmmm +4 Str, -2 Dex, +2 End, -2 Int, -5 Ed, -8 SS

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:17 am

Go Hiver or go home!

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”