Epic Store thoughts?

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Itharus

Epic Store thoughts?

Post by Itharus » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:57 am

Heya Kerbies,

Just wondering if you guys would be willing to share your thoughts on the whole Epic Store scenario. Seems a couple games that were coming out on Steam jumped ship entirely and signed exclusivity deals and what not -- it's generated some backlash from customers, naturally. I wasn't thrilled about two of them, personally.

How do you guys feel about the differences in the cut taken between Steam and Epic? Is that 18% a big enough slice to abandon a platform like Steam which serves so many and has so many deeply invested in it? Do you think it will open up Steam to negotiating a lower cut?

And what say folks from the customer side of things?

For myself, I do enjoy having a nice centralized source for my games. I hate having to have 25434234243 accounts to sign into everywhere, and I hate all the damned EULA's that come with data mining rights that come with those sign ins. Steam's is bad enough, lol. Same kinda deal has been irking me with netflix getting nibbled at too. Part of the lure of NF was not having to subscribe to 24234243 channels and what not. Granted, this is entirely from a consumer standpoint atm. Not really qualified to say anything about the other side - which is why I'm here asking!

As an aside, personally I'd be willing to pay a small premium to keep things centralized.

Regards,
Itharus
Go Hiver or go home!

Slashman

Re: Epic Store thoughts?

Post by Slashman » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:56 pm

Personally I haven't given it much thought. Epic is still flying high from Fortnight or is that 'nite'. I don't know how much resources they are willing to sink into this in the long term.

I'm less concerned about having more games on more platforms than I am of having to buy some games from one platform and then buying some games from another. Steam can easily match this offer of course...but is it economically feasible to do so? People keep saying that the 70/30 split is horrible...but that's mostly consumers. I would have to hear from developers what they think and from more than just a few pissed off ones.

What games are jumping ship if I may ask?
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:43 am

As a consumer I already had to do this with Origin store to play Mass Effect 3. Granted, 95%+ of my PC games have been purchased on Steam. Having games exclusive to your store does work as a business model and makes sense for any company that sells large numbers.

I'm not crazy about having multiple accounts with different stores and share your privacy concerns. However my enthusiasm for steam has peaked years ago and I welcome any competition.

From a game discovery point of view, Steam has been un-usable for me for a while. I almost always know exactly what I will be purchasing well before even opening the application.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:03 am

Well. Satisfactory jumped ship. Which makes me a bit sad. I already have Uplay, battle.net and steam installed and there is no way I'm getting a fourth client.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:22 am

Slashman wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:56 pm
What games are jumping ship if I may ask?
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is going Epic exclusive for a year and Genesis Alpha One pulled from Steam entirely.

I'm cranky about both. GAO is particularly offensive since it had quite a lot of community buzz on Steam before it made that decision. As for RGO -- I'm surprised they gave a whole year. They claim they are willing to be "the canary in the airshaft" for this thing. Well, sadly, I'm willing to let that canary die.

As irrational as it sounds, the moves kinda feel like betrayal. Which makes me want to punish them by either just never buying those games, or by waiting for however long it takes for them to come back to Steam and go on a deep sale.

I too am very curious about what the developers think about this stuff. It's wholly possible as consumers we don't have the full picture and Epic's store might really be a great move for devs. Who knows. That's part of why I asked here -- I'd like to know what the Kerbies think :)
Go Hiver or go home!

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:53 pm

Wow. Well Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is interesting.

But I have to think they are not really the canary in the airshaft that they purport to be. They are a well known developer with a hugely successful past game behind them. and they used the buzz on Steam to generate interest in their new game.

What happens when the Epic store fills up with starving indie games? They can't all be featured on the storefront ad infinitum.

Like I said I will wait and see what happens. I will probably not buy Rebel Galaxy from the Epic store immediately as by the time it launches, X4 will probably be ready for actual play.

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:22 am

Itharus wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:22 am
...Which makes me want to punish them by either just never buying those games, or by waiting for however long it takes for them to come back to Steam and go on a deep sale.
It is a big assumption. These companies very much understand that the survival of their platform depends on their exclusive content. They will not put it back on Steam because it would undermine their competitive advantage, however small, by back pedaling. It's no longer about just about selling an extra few thousand units of a given game, but building a platform for every game they make from now on.

Referring back to my previous example of Mass Effect 3, to this day it is STILL not available on Steam for any kind of discount.
Slashman wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:53 pm
What happens when the Epic store fills up with starving indie games? They can't all be featured on the storefront ad infinitum.
Then they become a slightly different flavoured copy of Steam and would have to compete at an extreme disadvantage with them considering Steam has been at it much longer. Steam seems to have cornered the "ad infinitum"; any new platform would be foolish not to carefully curate and cultivate talent.

Ultimately these companies either make an exclusive game you want to play enough to download their client, or you keep your money and don't play their game(s) or just watch them played on Youtube/twitch (for some genres, there isn't much difference). While I don't enjoy Steam as much as I used to, I do accept that they probably made the right decision to open the flood gates when faced with practically having a monopoly on PC gaming.

rytram

Post by rytram » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:47 pm

i agree that i dont like the idea of having multiple mediums for my games. Hell, even tv shows for that matter lol.

but one thing to keep in mind is that they are offering FREE games every month like XBL and PS+ does. as far as i can remember Steam hasnt done this. sure they have massive sales and that is great but when you think about it, many of us see those cheap deals, spend money on them and end up with 100+ games they never played. so as a customer this would save me some money. Sure, Steam gives us Demo periods on some games. and F2P games always end up in my library without my asking lol. but i dont think they have ever just given games away for free. and if they did it would probably be closer to what PS+ does and give you shitty Indie games instead of the AAA games that XBL gives. after all im willing to wager that nowadays a large percentage of the games on Steam are indie games and Early access games that never go full release. though this isnt to assume they do not have plenty of AAA games to offer.

but one must consider what this means for the Dev's. if you are a loyal customer of your favorite Dev's much like Kerb here. then we should be willing to understand and even support a decision to move to a platform that gives them a better/ more fair deal. after all this ultimately means more money in their pockets that can be allocated to future development.

if Kerb made the move. id support them fully and id still buy the games even if it meant using a new platform to do so.
Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:56 pm

Well its not true that Steam doesn't give away games. You may have just missed the ones it did give away. Most of the time you will see a game free for a certain amount of time and if you install it in the that time frame you have it forever.

If Kerb decided to go with an Epic release I would likely break my stance and buy it from there...but as I said before, they are not a big name studio and will not have droves of fans flocking to them where ever they go. However, if they were offered an exclusivity deal then they should definitely take it but Epic isn't offering those to just anyone. Take careful note.

Finally, Epic still isn't offering anything to ME the customer to make me want to switch platforms. And until that happens I can wait a year to play most any game that comes out. It will surely be patched into shape by then (hopefully).

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:37 am

I don't like this whole "exclusivity" thing. It reeks of monopolism.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:49 pm

I already got burned buying Stardock games from Impulse, because they went out of business. I only trust Steam and GOG to not go out of business soon.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:35 am

Yeah I got burned with Impulse, too.

I like some of GOG's policies, and so occasionally get some games there. But Steam certainly does have that whole 'too big to fail' kind of vibe to it.
Go Hiver or go home!

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”