...but at least we can listen to true talent

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

fiendishrabbit

...but at least we can listen to true talent

Post by fiendishrabbit » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:52 am

Sometimes I'm incredibly happy that I live in a post-fall of the berlin wall world, despite its flaws. Despite the fuck up political system, despite that the last 20 years have been a democratic crabwalk, despite the return of fascism. Despite everything. And that's when I hear something like this.
Dimash Kudaibergen performing SOS d'un Terrien en detresse.
It's probably the technically most perfect performance I've heard in ever. The vocal range is amazing (ranging from low baritone to high soprano. At least 5 octaves) but unless you're familiar with opera you might miss the way he's modulating his voice. Not only shifting from the airiest of light tones to powerful chest voice but also, insanely enough, incorporating both male and female opera techniques. At 2:30 it's...soprano. Not just a guy singing in soprano range, it's a god damn soprano using the techniques of a soprano opera singer. 3:23 he's technique perfect tenor.
There is practicly only one way you can learn to sing like this (if you have the natural talent it requires), and that's if you've started training under a female opera coach before you hit puberty, then as you go through puberty you have guided vocal coaching to retain that range and expand your range with male vocal techniques.

This is what makes me appreciate the modern era. 100 years ago he would have been a star of the Astana opera, a jealously guarded jewel (150 years ago he might have enjoyed the patronage of St.Petersburg). 50 years ago he would have been a musical wonder, but never heard of outside the iron curtain. Today, it's global. Sent the link to a friend who sings at the Malmö Opera and watched her explode into a rant of equal jealousy and admiration, which I guess is the only sane reaction.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Slashman

Re: ...but at least we can listen to true talent

Post by Slashman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:50 pm

Well I don't know music but that was incredible!
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:38 pm

very cool, thanks for sharing it with us!

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:27 am

Goosebumps.

I can sing. That was so far beyond singing as to approach magical. Thank you for sharing that. :)
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”