Nazism is much more than is portrayed in games

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Slashman

Nazism is much more than is portrayed in games

Post by Slashman » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:54 pm

Found this article and thought it was very interesting.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Nazism is much more than is portrayed in games

Post by Mecron » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:47 pm

ehhh...no one hates nazis more than me but a lot of this applies to game mechanics. I mean does anyone want to play my third Reich financial simulator where I show the slow process of how the nazis were less interested in ideology and more interested in draining the public coffers into their own pockets? Its a very valid point about a core tenant of Fascism but I am not sure it fits into Castle Wolf.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:38 pm

Mecron wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:47 pm
Its a very valid point about a core tenant of Fascism but I am not sure it fits into Castle Wolf.
I think that's essentially the core of the issue. The things not being portrayed aren't done so for no reason, they just wouldn't make for much of a game.
Would anybody really want to play Weimar Republic Parliament Simulator 1920?

Games simply aren't the right medium for this purpose, the slack has to be made up for elsewhere.

Not like we don't have more current examples to worry about anyway.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:33 pm

Pretty much...I mean if you did a B5 game you could find a lot of the current news into it.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:01 pm

Well maybe not an action game per se. But I could see that stuff going into city builder for example where you have to manage a city under the orders of the Third Reich.

There are a fair number of indy games playing around with mechanics that could fit...its just a matter of if we really want that kind of thing.

For example Spinnorality is an interesting one.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:09 pm

Slashman wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:01 pm
Well maybe not an action game per se. But I could see that stuff going into city builder for example where you have to manage a city under the orders of the Third Reich.

There are a fair number of indy games playing around with mechanics that could fit...its just a matter of if we really want that kind of thing.

For example Spinnorality is an interesting one.
Those are typically missing other parts, though.

It's hard to get the full picture in a game, and it would be a jumbled mess to play. Particularly since some of the issues surrounding the whole mess require a fairly good understanding of psychology just to get what's going on and why people are supporting it if you don't have somebody to explain it to you. I've personally known people fully convinced that the Nazis did nothing bad despite being personally present when it happened.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:42 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:09 pm
Those are typically missing other parts, though.

It's hard to get the full picture in a game, and it would be a jumbled mess to play. Particularly since some of the issues surrounding the whole mess require a fairly good understanding of psychology just to get what's going on and why people are supporting it if you don't have somebody to explain it to you. I've personally known people fully convinced that the Nazis did nothing bad despite being personally present when it happened.
Yeah I'm not saying that we will ever get a game that has all the parts (that gave a full representation of Nazism). But there are certainly some parts that aren't highlighted that could be brought to the front a bit more. Obviously not in action game format.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:31 pm

Which would mostly mean that different people know about different aspects of the topic. Still not helpful.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:08 am

Right now the current post modern trend in indy game is the shard of a gameplay experience as opposed to an actual game.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:45 pm

Mecron wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:08 am
Right now the current post modern trend in indy game is the shard of a gameplay experience as opposed to an actual game.
Good point. But there are still a few gems out there.

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:33 pm

Mecron wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:08 am
They have been touting "minimally viable product" at game developer conferences for years now. I'm fine with it. I have the experience to discern value and all the resources in the form of video footage.

What I'm not okay with is padding out shallow experiences for marketing purposes.

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:35 pm

Congressman Quotes Anti-Semitic Hitler Passage In House To Attack Democrats, Press

And yet another, epic republican facepalm moment. I mean, c'mon... how much more BLATANTLY obvious can they be that they are the party of hate?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:42 pm

wait until they start goosestepping

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”