City of Heroes...

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Mecron
Kerberos

City of Heroes...

Post by Mecron » Wed May 29, 2019 8:30 pm

...IS BACK, BABY!!!!

Slashman

Re: City of Heroes...

Post by Slashman » Thu May 30, 2019 2:08 am

Wow. I thought I was the only one who cared about this!
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri May 31, 2019 7:40 am

Greatest...MMO...evar!

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Fri May 31, 2019 8:41 am

Happy that the game is back, not happy about how the issue was handled for 6 years. That the sanitized serverpack was only released after the cat was out of the bag is still a fairly raw wound.

About a month or so of grumbling though was enough to get that anger down to a managable level, so I've been back playing the game for two weeks now.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri May 31, 2019 6:54 pm

focus on the joy!

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Fri May 31, 2019 10:04 pm

Mecron wrote: ↑
Fri May 31, 2019 6:54 pm
focus on the joy!
Very much trying to do so. The first week was "Return of the Alt-itis", recreating some of my favorite characters as well as 3 new concepts.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:11 am

lol yep 10 characters in the first 5 days

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:52 am

fiendishrabbit wrote: ↑
Fri May 31, 2019 8:41 am
Happy that the game is back, not happy about how the issue was handled for 6 years. That the sanitized serverpack was only released after the cat was out of the bag is still a fairly raw wound.

About a month or so of grumbling though was enough to get that anger down to a managable level, so I've been back playing the game for two weeks now.
I was part of the 'Closed Beta Server'... i.e., I played on Resurgence during some of those six years.

I have heard that the server code was originally supposed to have been released on the fifth anniversary of the shutdown, but people leaking the secret and RL issues caused some slowdowns. I actually knew about the server for at least a year before I got invited to join, but... I know how to keep a secret. The reason the code was released 'after the cat was out of the bag' was because it was finally ready to be released. If that leak hadn't occurred, it would have been a few weeks later, on the anniversary of the game launch. Or at least, that's what I've heard in the Resurgence community.

Everyone who was invited was supposed to be a vetted player, dedicated to keeping it secret so that NCSoft wouldn't shut us down. However, as often happens when you get too many people into a closed group, some people were disaffected because they weren't allowed to invite their friends. So they'd respond by putting pictures and video out there. These had to be covered up, and usually resulted in a ban on further invites. And one of the things about signing up during the blackout period was that if your invitees got banned - so did you. That didn't make people happy either.

I understand that everyone wanted the game back sooner. Things weren't in a good enough state - the code is serious spaghetti. Keep in mind that the Resurgence team *never* had all of the code, or the tools. Many things had to be rebuilt by hand, part time, in secrecy. It's amazing that we were able to be playing as quickly as we were. And once more people started being invited, we had to add more hardware and figure out scaling problems. It's not as as simple as 'download the server pack and hundreds of your friends can play on your private server', even with all the work they've done.

If your anger was at the situation, that's fine. I just don't want to see it directed at the Resurgence team... we wouldn't have the game back without them, and keeping it small and secret was the only way to get us to the point where we *could* have the game back.

Oh, and if you want an invite to the Beta server, PM me. :)
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Defenestar

Post by Defenestar » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:15 am

... It's back? I missed that game. I tried making a clan for heroes who looked suspiciously familiar called The Infringers. it ended up being just me, a couple friends, and some people who joined and then wandered off to play something else.

After it shut down, I tried out Champions Online to see if it felt right, but I quit after a couple days as some of the writing made me regret that I had learned to read.

These days I've been hanging out in Warframe for my online gaming fix. Might have to revisit CoH, though, and punch out some of those demon-cultist gangsters along memory lane.

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”