Just saw Prospect (2018)

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

fiendishrabbit

Just saw Prospect (2018)

Post by fiendishrabbit » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:03 pm

So, Prospect came out a few months ago on DVD/streaming services and I watched it yesterday with a couple of friends.
Has anyone else here seen it?

Plot:
A father making a last grab for unimaginable wealth, and bringing his daughter with him on this mad venture. They're on the clock, because the rush has died and if they don't make it back into orbit they're never leaving a toxic, hostile planet. There is no law out here, and others are just as desperate to catch the last interstellar (or is it interplanetary?) flight home.

My opinion:
It's a very tight (and pretty hard-sci fi) story that makes the most of its budget. Tense and claustrophobic, mixing elements of Frontier gold rush with the horrors and stakes that only sci-fi can provide. Stylisticly it feels like a mix of 60s western desperation and the industrial near-future sci-fi of Alien. Its dialogue and plot is heightened to a fever pitch by wheezing of the respirators and the intense conviction that these are characters that are mad, desperate people to start with and they've been pushed to the very edge of sanity by the stress of merely being in this hellhole; this forest which every second pushes the conflicting messages of "This place looks like home" and "This is a hostile place, toxic, dangerous, unforgiving and it will never be a friend of humans".
Well worth watching.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Just saw Prospect (2018)

Post by Mecron » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:41 pm

cool thanks! Noticed it but haven't had the time to sit down for it. More inclined to do so now.

Slashman

Re: Just saw Prospect (2018)

Post by Slashman » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:13 pm

Sounds interesting fiendishrabbit...I'll check it out when I get a chance!
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”