Solforce surprising drone affinity :D

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.

Moderator: Erinys

zaknafein

Solforce surprising drone affinity :D

Post by zaknafein » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:10 am

I started playing solforce again and found something surprising, they have an extremely good drone carrier section. It only loses 1 hvy turret compared to the armor section O_O much better than a Morrigi or Tarka Carrier who lose 4 Medium mounts and 1 Hvy turret. Now a drone carrier can take over the function of missile cruisers in my fleet, while having the benefit of carrying drones.

I love how this game can surprise me after such a long time :) and yes I feel kinda noobish not noticing till now !doh

Rossinna-Sama

Re: Solforce surprising drone affinity :D

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:16 am

Clearly this means Solforce is OP. ;)
Sword of the Stars 2 - Project Hiver modder - work in progress.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:46 am

Morrigi have way better drones, though.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

SancheZ1993

Post by SancheZ1993 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:21 pm

Any PD makes useless both drones and missiles...

zaknafein

Post by zaknafein » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:27 pm

SancheZ1993 wrote:Any PD makes useless both drones and missiles...

You know that is an exageration.. it depends on the amount of pd. for example Morrigi dual med emitter drones, can often fry or heavily dmg a enemy cruiser fleet even if they have pd. There are also some missiles which are stronger vs pd, like MIRV, KK or beam missiles.. forgot their name.

Treliant

Post by Treliant » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:29 pm

You have to be fielding serious PD mission cruisers to really neutralize Morrigi heavy drones with armor techs. I find if your just running with PD on armor/drone/missle/torp ships the drones will still inflict enough damage before they are killed to justify their use, not to mention they eat up so much PD fire in the process that you can usually increase your missle hits substantially.
just my experience :D

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:35 pm

zaknafein wrote:
SancheZ1993 wrote:Any PD makes useless both drones and missiles...

You know that is an exageration.. it depends on the amount of pd. for example Morrigi dual med emitter drones, can often fry or heavily dmg a enemy cruiser fleet even if they have pd. There are also some missiles which are stronger vs pd, like MIRV, KK or beam missiles.. forgot their name.

True, heavy drones are powerful enough that if they lasted an entire battle, they would be a given in every battle. They are that dangerous. Dual Emitters from Morrigi drones can take out more than a few ships before they are dead. While this happens the carriers will help out with missiles (having other weapons than missiles/very long range weapons for carriers isn't normally a good idea), all before the enemy can strike back.

Of course 6 drones will not make a difference, but 36 or even 18 will make a massive difference if you just launch them at the right time (it takes a while but you can determine when it is good to launch them to coincide with the arrival of a missile volley).
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Gramalian

Post by Gramalian » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:25 am

Yea, my last few games as Sol force have had me use drones a lot more then I use too. A 66cp cruiser fleet for me usually has 2-3 drone ships loaded with missiles backing up 2-3( depending on drone ratio) torp boats, and then 3 brawler ships. Add in the CnC and 2 supply ships sending in missiles too and the other guy is walking though layers of fire before any type of fight happens.

Been a good tactic for me so far. Energy cannons make a good weapon tech for your non missile ships with their longer range and solid dmg. Can really pepper the other guy. Then send in the brawling units to clean up.

DarkCecilo

Post by DarkCecilo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:11 pm

Or take a few battleriders as "Tanks" And then Launch Drones once the Battleriders are in the combat zone. Serves me well and saves on costs as well.

zaknafein

Post by zaknafein » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:30 pm

DarkCecilo wrote:Or take a few battleriders as "Tanks" And then Launch Drones once the Battleriders are in the combat zone. Serves me well and saves on costs as well.

Interesting idea :) never tried looking at BR that way :) will test in my next morrigi game

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:50 pm

combined arms FTW!!!

manty5

Post by manty5 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:59 pm

I tend to use either all-brawlers or all-kiters, not mixing them up. Drones are for kiters, most BR's are for brawler support.

If you have 3 brawlers, 3 medium range, and 3 long range against an enemy force, then they'll have a far easier time of focusing you down while simultaneously diluting the PD-saturation of your missiles, torps and drones. It's the worst of all worlds.

While it is true that a fleet that's totally focused on brawling or one that's totally focused on kiting is vulnerable to being trounced by a fleet that's built to counter it, the fact is that it TAKES a purpose-built counterfleet to prevail... and often enough the counterfleet is easily enough countered itself. For example, adding corrosive and nanite missiles can decimate a PD-and-deflector counterfleet. (of course, you don't want your drones flying around in that crud, so you hold them back)

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:58 am

Or you can research subversion too. But at least morri drones armed with emitters can't hurt cruisers with addy armour - all you gotta do is hope you get addy armour :)

manty5

Post by manty5 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:53 pm

2 exceptions to that:

1. Losing your heavy turrets certainly counts as "harm". The drones will still have some effect.

2. If you hold the drones till after the armor's stripped with corrosive missiles, they'll work just fine.

Subversion is a counter that currently lacks a counter itself, so it's an exception to the general rule.

Gramalian

Post by Gramalian » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:43 pm

manty5 wrote:I tend to use either all-brawlers or all-kiters, not mixing them up. Drones are for kiters, most BR's are for brawler support.

If you have 3 brawlers, 3 medium range, and 3 long range against an enemy force, then they'll have a far easier time of focusing you down while simultaneously diluting the PD-saturation of your missiles, torps and drones. It's the worst of all worlds.

While it is true that a fleet that's totally focused on brawling or one that's totally focused on kiting is vulnerable to being trounced by a fleet that's built to counter it, the fact is that it TAKES a purpose-built counterfleet to prevail... and often enough the counterfleet is easily enough countered itself. For example, adding corrosive and nanite missiles can decimate a PD-and-deflector counterfleet. (of course, you don't want your drones flying around in that crud, so you hold them back)

I would disagree with that its weaker. In fact I would say its a stronger fleet as a whole while yours is the weaker fleet as whole. You noted that its easier to counter, and that its built for 1 strong point instead of being able to handle a large range of tactics. Thats true, and imo, its exactly why you would lose in the fleet match up.

Sure its kinda dependent on races as humans do this very very well, and seeing how this is a human thread Ill use them as my race. A fleet of 3 brawlers( battle bridge/armor semi early game tech) with 2xs Heavy Energy cannons, 6xs AP rounds, a back mount missile, and some PD in its light. Torp boats ( assault/torp) would have 5 direct fire torp slots( humans again) 2xs HCL, 2(?) medium turrets with lets say energy cannons,PD in light, and a missile on the back. Then 2 drone boats with missiles and PD. After that the CNC/supply shipts( lets say 2 supply) would all have missiles/PD in their slots so 4+ missiles from each..at least.

your 9 brawlers ( say heavy ballistic? or beam? PD of course) would have to wade through multiple volleys of missiles, then volleys of long range energy cannons( Heavy) 60 torps per salvo, which should be 2-3 salvos from max range to brawl range, Medium Energy cannons, 12 Drones when you got closer of multiple options, 11HCL( 2xs per torp boat and 1xs per brawler) and basic AP rounds from brawlers.

You might have the advantage in the brawl, but by the time the brawl started you would of had to take some hits on the jaw with focused long and medium range fire power of different weapon types. If I didnt pop 1-2 ships before the brawling started I would of at least crippled 1-2 which evens out the 9 vs 7 brawl( I would of course send the torps to brawl, just keep them a little farther away). Brawl starts and Id send the drones out, while the carriers and CNC/supply boats took missile pot shots.

Now thats my view point on it. You most likely would of had missiles on yours some where, at least the CNC and supply ships, and of course 9xs ships with heavy focus on 1 type of fighting such as brawling would have solid PD for getting there. Where your ships should have the advantage over my more combined arms. I just dont see how a pure brawl or kite could hope to counter the combined arms in any way as effective as the mixed fleet could yours. Just the layered longer range fire is a built in counter, not to mention the type of drones, or modules or what have you.

Return to “The Ships”