Solforce surprising drone affinity :D

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.

Moderator: Erinys

dmoniks

Re: Solforce surprising drone affinity :D

Post by dmoniks » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Deflector shields on brawlers and half of your strenght is gone.

Gramalian

Post by Gramalian » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:42 pm

Can I bring counters to your counters such as ionic torps ( or whatever the direct fire anti shield on is), have the missile boats aim for engine sections on those brawlers, use drones like suicide ones to target engines too, just have heavy drones fly around shooting them from back angles, strafe my own ships around the shields, counter with flanking...Not sure about you but I dont just smash my ships directly into the other guys.

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:10 am

Drones have always seemed to be (to me) something that needs to be used en masse to be effective. Mixing and matching BR and Drones sounds nice, but seems to risk not having enough of either. It'd be really tricky to reach the right proportions for it to be worthwhile.
Go Hiver or go home!

dmoniks

Post by dmoniks » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:24 pm

Gramalian wrote:Can I bring counters to your counters such as ionic torps ( or whatever the direct fire anti shield on is), have the missile boats aim for engine sections on those brawlers, use drones like suicide ones to target engines too, just have heavy drones fly around shooting them from back angles, strafe my own ships around the shields, counter with flanking...Not sure about you but I dont just smash my ships directly into the other guys.

Ionic torps, suicide drones, shield brakers - all of that is available to counter shields, but it comes later in the game, whereas disruptor shield are one of the first available things to research, and fairy easily aquired counter to two thirds of threat that you encounter in the begining - missiles, ballistics and torps. And with addition of PD weapons, for with most players go as fast as possible, you have easy time to get your brawlers without much damage into fry. Later game rules of play changes due to available tech, but in the beginning, thats another story.

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:28 pm

I think you mean Deflectors. Disruptor shields are for stopping energy based attacks.
Go Hiver or go home!

Treliant

Post by Treliant » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Dreadnought fleets using heavy drones, battle riders and missles can be extremely effective against fleets that are fielding average amounts of PD (no dedicated PD cruisers). Especially when you throw magno or quantum and reflective armors on them. I've used it many times and the enemies PD gets so overwhelmed that alot of missles can sneak through and demolish ships :twisted:

crazy10101

Post by crazy10101 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:11 am

Well, Hivers really don't have PD until you mix PD cruisers in; such bad arcs it doesn't make sense to try and spread it throughout. So, they avoid that tactic nicely.
99 bugs found in the code!
99 bugs found!
Fix one bug!
Compile it again!
100 bugs found in the code!

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:10 pm

I think that they are quite a bit less durable. They are also more expensive compared to their counterparts which are generally quite inexpensive warships. Plus drones are a great way to make SolForce's supply issues even worse.
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Solforce surprising drone affinity :D

Post by ZedF » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:50 pm

wingren013 wrote:I think that they are quite a bit less durable. They are also more expensive compared to their counterparts which are generally quite inexpensive warships. Plus drones are a great way to make SolForce's supply issues even worse.

Depends on what race and weapons you are using. For SolForce, I tend to find the extra firepower from drones and generous weapons on the carrier compensates nicely for the loss of armour, at least on cruiser-sized drone carriers. (For DNs, I'd generally prefer to bring BRs instead.) The extra range can be a real plus for kiting-based tactics as well.

Drone cruisers are somewhat but not markedly more expensive than armour cruisers -- certainly not enough more expensive to be a really serious barrier to entry -- providing you are not exclusively using expensive guns such as emitters. Again, I'd be considering using BRs instead if I had that kind of money available.

But the supply point is pretty moot; as SolForce, you're going to be a lot more limited by how far you can get assault shuttles to go than by how far you can get drone carriers to go, generally speaking.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:18 pm

crazy10101 wrote:Well, Hivers really don't have PD until you mix PD cruisers in; such bad arcs it doesn't make sense to try and spread it throughout. So, they avoid that tactic nicely.

Hivers just need a good formation to support covering each other with fire from the other ships. I've killed full Liir BR swarms with Phalanx PD on the Hiver lights + PD Modules in the two module slots when the Liir BRs all had Phasers. Now I'd lose a couple of cruisers in the process due to the alpha - but Hiver are hardly weak without their PD ships filling their ranks.

That being said the PD ship by contrast is amazing and a couple of them in a fleet can annihilate BRs/Pods/missiles in a decent radius around them.

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Hiver cruisers actually have pretty good PD mounts for anti-drone purposes. They only need the PD section when going up against targets that don't fly through their formation such as missiles and torps.
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

crazy10101

Post by crazy10101 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:08 pm

HIver PD ship filled with interceptors can tackle 60 missiles in the design screen. Those 60 are all starting within a quarter of interceptors max range. There is no long-range weaponry that could get through even 2 of those. O_O

I need them for gate fleets.
99 bugs found in the code!
99 bugs found!
Fix one bug!
Compile it again!
100 bugs found in the code!

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:12 pm

Wait interceptors can target missiles now! I never bothered with them because I thought that they couldn't!

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:33 pm

They've been able to do that in II for quite a while now. They're quite good at it, too.

It also helps that they aren't as limited by weapon arcs as the other options. I like sticking them in those turrets that otherwise wouldn't be able to hit anything anyway.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Return to “The Ships”