Loa Repair Mission Section

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.

Moderator: Erinys

Sazuroi

Loa Repair Mission Section

Post by Sazuroi » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:07 pm

Assuming this is the right place, this is something that came up in the ingame chat today:

While normal Cruiser Repair&Salvage Mission Sections offer 1500 Points of repair for all races I tried them with, I was made aware that the Loa Repair&Salvage Cruiser provides 3000 Points of Repair, which is quite a jump considering only the Loa have an alternative means to repair their ships, if at the cost of numbers, using cubes. The Loa Supply DN, which also has Repair capabilities, supposedly has only 1400 Points of repair, like common R&S Cruisers. Hiver Supply DNs, for example, offer 5000 Points of Repair, as do those of other factions from what I've heard.

There has been some puzzlement whether this is intentional, since Loa profit highly from Repair (as it means they don't have to sacrifice cubes), but not moreso than other factions, since the Loa would have to rebuild the cubes at least, and lower their already small numbers to repair without a specialized ship.
This brings up the question why the much more costly Supply DN, usually justified by being resilient and offering both supply and repair capabilities beyond cruiser-sized equivalents for either role, has such a restricted capability, without significantly better armament or other factors to justify it in comparison to other factions. This is especially crippling for the Loa, who need as much capability in every ship as possible, considering the limits of NPG transfer.

Galwail

Re: Loa Repair Mission Section

Post by Galwail » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:11 pm

Maybe it's a practical joke. You know, every time someone fields a Loa supply DN, someone from Kerberos laughs and says, "Gotcha!" :angel:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:17 pm

as designed

Darkwing dack

Post by Darkwing dack » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:12 am

Just as planned :twisted: :twisted:

ReynoldsXD

Post by ReynoldsXD » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:58 pm

i think i will take the 15+ repair cruisers over 5-6 repair dreads, thx ^^

+ it means the threshold for pulling rpeair right out of my arse becomes lower, because a cruiser is cheaper than a dread as far as cubes go. and thaths good.

Its also the reason i finally think i understand the whole 300k cub limit and its intentions:

resonign as follows: Your ships do mostly structure tank. Struc gts repaird for free by repair ships.
Your ability to take damage is technically higher due to this, given the relative speed with which armor is stripped. Combined with the torrent of firepower you can throw, you basically come out ahead if you field your crap load of repair cruisers that noone will ever be able to kill (let that sink in) and that yo ucna deploy as needed, wherever needed, in whatver quantity needed.

Just dwell on that for a second:

The opponent has no way of breaking a loa siege early. He cant hunt for CNC's, he cant shoot your ships mission incapable because even if he does they will repair next turn either by cubes or by repair. He has to continue to bleed you off cubes which is increasingly difficult when you factor in repair fleets. Which you can deploy as needed.

Now combine with the nasty habit of loa cruisers having most of the oomp in the middle section so you can abuse siheld section for fun and profit.... even if shields fail and you gets damaged, you can repair that stuff right back up next turn....

you just need to survive and a shield crusier running away... is hard to kill..... :googly:

now imagine that with fully dressed battle fleets with all the trinkets and doodads and wtffuckerys avaialable....

also explains why its so difficult to get those cubes to the target: once they are there they are like a swarm infestation on crack.

Pentel123

Post by Pentel123 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:57 pm

So just to check LOA do not need Supply Ships? They are better off using that Fleet Comp slot from a Repair and Salvage?

Karu

Post by Karu » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Pentel123 wrote:So just to check LOA do not need Supply Ships? They are better off using that Fleet Comp slot from a Repair and Salvage?

Correct.
Just remember to FIRST repair and then reform the fleet, else you loose cubes :)

Sincerely

Pentel123

Post by Pentel123 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:11 pm

Thank you Karu :D

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:31 pm

And consider that a Support DN can be included in your main fleet and work like a combat ship, while that's much harder to do with a R&S CR.
But it's probably better to just have a supporting fleet with a cheap CnC and 1 cheap R&S. Any additional R&S ships in that fleet are only useful for salvage (and minimizing micromanagement of dissolving and reforming the fleet when the repair points are depleted).

LOA having Supply ship section is probably a mistake, as their fleet endurance is fixed to 15, while IIRC supplies are reset to full when you reform a fleet.

Karu

Post by Karu » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:08 am

I would prefere Loa R+S CR over the Supply DN, you get much more repair out of the CR as Loa.

A supply DN repairs 1400 points, a R+S CR 3000 (yes there is no typo here).
Not to mention the cube costs (over 100k for the DN vs 7k for the CR)

Wasn't there a bug a while ago that you needed an R+S in the fighting fleet to get the salvage (don't remember if fixed)?

Sincerely

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:36 am

Never heard of that bug.

The point is that Loa need their ships to survive to be able to take advantage of unlimited repair. And a R&S CR can much more easily lose its mission section than the Supply DN die. Though the CR can also more easily flee...

Of course sometimes 1R&S CR + 2 Combat CR can be stronger than 1 Supply DN and the survivability loss (and as you mentioned, lower cube cost) worth it.

Depends also on command points : If you have 6-17 spare command points in your DN-only fleet, why not add a R&S CR?

Return to “The Ships”