Are point absorber, Projector ships still awesome?

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.

Moderator: Erinys

Birdco

Are point absorber, Projector ships still awesome?

Post by Birdco » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:44 am

In SOTS prime, the point absorber recharge to a projector created quite a powerful ship. Is the point absorber dynamic similar enough to create a firehose of antimatter bolts if anyone was foolish enough to fire a HCL at the ship.

And let's not talk about the frame rate destroying awesomeness of 2 absorber projector ships dukeing it out.

Has Kerberos nerfed this in SOTS II, or can you still build ships to create the same effect? I've yet to get to a point in the game where I've researched both of these to test it out.

chris0101

Re: Are point absorber, Projector ships still awesome?

Post by chris0101 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:07 am

The meson projector is very potent against leviathans.
"Never trust a traitor, not even one you create."
- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

GammaPaladin
Cassandra

Post by GammaPaladin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:56 am

Honestly, unless they changed it so that Absorbers don't make torpedoes charge faster... Torpedoes are the ideal weapon on a ship with absorbers, not projectors.

Weapons with long firing times (Stormers, Projectors, heavy beams, etc) aren't really ideal, because the bonus energy can't shorten the firing time, only the recharge. Torpedoes are ideal, because they do a high damage with a single shot, and have a long recharge to offset that. Which means that if you reduce torpedo recharge times you're getting huge bang-for-the-buck returns.

Back in Prime, I used to build fleets with as many torpedoes as I could fit on them, and absorbers, for taking out Locust Fleetworlds.

You haven't seen damage output until you've seen a DN firing it's AM Torpedoes so fast they make solid beams. Fleetworlds died in seconds.

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Wed May 13, 2015 4:53 pm

GammaPaladin wrote:Honestly, unless they changed it so that Absorbers don't make torpedoes charge faster... Torpedoes are the ideal weapon on a ship with absorbers, not projectors.

Weapons with long firing times (Stormers, Projectors, heavy beams, etc) aren't really ideal, because the bonus energy can't shorten the firing time, only the recharge. Torpedoes are ideal, because they do a high damage with a single shot, and have a long recharge to offset that. Which means that if you reduce torpedo recharge times you're getting huge bang-for-the-buck returns.

Back in Prime, I used to build fleets with as many torpedoes as I could fit on them, and absorbers, for taking out Locust Fleetworlds.

You haven't seen damage output until you've seen a DN firing it's AM Torpedoes so fast they make solid beams. Fleetworlds died in seconds.

Would meson torpedoes work better for such a situation than AM?
"Never trust a traitor, not even one you create."
- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Return to “The Ships”