Weapon ready to fire?

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.

Moderator: Erinys

dionysios123

Weapon ready to fire?

Post by dionysios123 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:58 pm

Sometimes my ships won’t fire their heavy beams and torpedoes. And I’d like to know if this is some bug, or the weapon is not reloaded, if the enemy is not in range or something.”Hold fire” is of course not activated.
In SOTS there was this useful ship icon in battle where on could see the status of every weapon on the selected ship and the target cone.
Is there something like that also in SOTS2? If not, I would like to have it! :)
Cheers!

Ryat

Re: Weapon ready to fire?

Post by Ryat » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:46 am

It can depend on what weapon you selected to be your main weapon upon building the ship. Look for the star above one of the weapon's icons. The star designates which weapon will be the main weapon. This is useful for example when you say build a ship that is mostly long range weapons but you put in a few short range weapons for protection from any short ranged equiped ships that try to come in range. That way, the ships will focus using only the missiles unless the enemy ship comes in range of the other weapons then those will be used.
Sins of Solar Empire: Distant Stars http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/335474

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:45 pm

yes but that won't cause them to hold fire without being told to hold fire. In todays update, you can now see the range and active arc of the weapon you have selected, dion, so that should help. Let us know if you still have trouble with them firing when you see them inside the weapon arcs. You no longer have specific weapon bank control as it is just too unweidly in a universe with leviathans, but instead we gave you much more control over weapon behaviour on a type by type basis.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:20 pm

What if there was a progress bar around the weapon icons like in SotS1, indicating the average state of recharge for those weapons?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:56 pm

The average state? For 45 separate pulse lasers spread around a half kilometre? How is that going to be useful?

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Satisfying OCDs maybe? Best i can think of right now.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Well, obviously it won't be useful for small turret weapons, but for bigger, slower reloading weapons like missiles, heavy beams, torpedoes, etc... it might.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:21 pm

right...so a set of weapons displays...some appear to be always on...some appear to be half on no matter what you do and a few seem to slowly reload...does that seem a lil...unclear at all?

Galwail

Post by Galwail » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:57 pm

You guys were so awesome that you managed to bring that feature to Sots I. The only thing we ask is if you will be able to add it to Sots II as well :angel:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:22 am

Did you actually understand what I wrote before you posted?

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:10 pm

I can understand where mecron is comming from on this - It would probably be OK for me with my massive computer monitor, but the amount of realestate rewuired to actually display this in an in anyway usable format would be quite large. LVs are just too gosh dark packed to the brim with guns (and no - dont go taking away their guns, I like their guns)

And for what? Maybe this would be useful for a COL - if you only have one launcher in the fleet, and your tactics all hinge on it firing, and you have already stuffed up and fired it earlier and now you are waiting for it to reload so you can restart your master plan. It is possible I guess.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:59 pm

Hmm, maybe then you could have an option to toggle a kind of screen overlay that would display weapon banks of selected ships similar to how they are displayed in the ship designer?

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:08 pm

dionysios123 wrote:Sometimes my ships won’t fire their heavy beams and torpedoes. And I’d like to know if this is some bug, or the weapon is not reloaded, if the enemy is not in range or something.”Hold fire” is of course not activated.
In SOTS there was this useful ship icon in battle where on could see the status of every weapon on the selected ship and the target cone.
Is there something like that also in SOTS2? If not, I would like to have it! :)
Cheers!

For the limited arc weapons such as heavy beams and direct fire torpedoes the game will do a quick calculation as to whether the target will be in range for more than an instant. This prevents them from firing at ships that just pass through the arc at max range and wasting their firepower. Unfortunately the game sometimes has issues with this. If the spot on the ships that you are targeting does not stay in the arc for about a second beforehand the weapon usually will not fire. It kind of makes me wish for a fire on my order command. Until then tractor beams and pursuit mode are your friends.
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

dionysios123

Post by dionysios123 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:55 pm

So in my new game I eventually fielded some Blazer cruisers and they again turned out quite useless. They fired an initial salvo and that was it for the rest of the battle. Only turrets were working. My ships and the those of my oponent were not moving, so targeting should not have been the problem. I mean, a fleet of colonizers almost took my same number of blazer ships apart :cry: When ordered to "pursuit" at least the heavy beams of the command section fire sometimes, but not those of the mission section.
Any help is appreciated.
Btw: the torpedoes work fine now and I like the weapon arcs!
Cheers!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:06 pm

What mode were your ships in while "not moving"

Return to “The Ships”