All sjets leviathans?

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.

Moderator: Erinys

chris0101

All sjets leviathans?

Post by chris0101 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:06 am

Are you guys using all sjet on your leviathan modules?

I know there's a thread about the Morrigi LV with I think all Sjet (since they have up to 8 per LV). It's kind of made the crew modules obsolete on LVs (although perhaps not on the multi-section DNs, depending on your race), and the additive (or I think it's additive) rate of fire is very potent. The extra range also means a lot more flexibility for moving your LV.

Is there anything else in terms of raw usefulness that matches the Sjet? In terms of raw firepower, anyways, it's hard to justify using torpedoes or beams. Maybe a goop, hannibal, or a psyonic weapons module?
"Never trust a traitor, not even one you create."
- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Nall White

Re: All sjets leviathans?

Post by Nall White » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:04 am

How is adding 10% to your fire rate per module and the crazy supply they give you useless?
I'm NOT a cat!

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:18 am

Nall White wrote:How is adding 10% to your fire rate per module and the crazy supply they give you useless?

Quite the opposite. You misread my post.

Nall White

Post by Nall White » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:32 am

chris0101 wrote:
Nall White wrote:How is adding 10% to your fire rate per module and the crazy supply they give you useless?

Quite the opposite. You misread my post.

That I did. :oops: I asked the same questions a while ago with a poll. The general consensus was the Sjet module is king.
I'm NOT a cat!

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:47 am

Yeah it does seem that the 10% firepower plus the other benefits make Sjet the way to go. That being said, other modules might be useful - it's hard to compare a Sjet to say ... a Goop.

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:57 am

Yeah, I really like GOOPs personally, but the thing is that for Levs I don't think GOOPs are a valid option (iirc from a game from a while back) so SJet GO!

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:54 am

ScoSteSal118 wrote:Yeah, I really like GOOPs personally, but the thing is that for Levs I don't think GOOPs are a valid option (iirc from a game from a while back) so SJet GO!

You can put Goops onto leviathans no problem - the question is, are goops the best option compared to the alternatives?

War1910

Post by War1910 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:41 pm

I would like to point out that Sjet Modules can be bad if your enemy start shooting off the modules.

Makes the ship kinda useless pretty quick...
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure...

SerpentrasD

Post by SerpentrasD » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:06 pm

Play as Loa and you must get something else because there is no Sjet :lol:
I don't need a strange Avatar. I am strange enough for that.

The_Founder

Post by The_Founder » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:59 pm

SerpentrasD wrote:Play as Loa and you must get something else because there is no Sjet :lol:

Loa get AI Command bonuses for Free. Even on Levi.
The don't need the weak-but-save copies of AI commands for awesome*, they just have it by default

*both in Story and description, Sjet was inveted just for this reason. It is safer then AI command, but also weaker/more vulnerable.

The_Founder

Post by The_Founder » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:45 pm

About other Modules:
Goop is certainly a must have for any "Brick" or Brawler type ship. There is also significant synergy with Repair Psy Power (as goop can fix what repair cannot).
Dancer is good for ships whose job is to close in fast - ships to counter Torp ships on Standoff stance, or ones hunting down fleeing ships/engage vulnerable ships.
Bullwark - not certain what the game effect is. Is it only improoving Surcture it might not be that good. Unless you have realyl weak structure and the enemy uses Armor-skipping weapones.

Hanbial - must have for the CnC.
Semper Fi & Caravan - pretty much repalced by Sjet. Between the improved PD perfomance and lowerign of required crew you might even be ahead in effective Boarding Defense.
Xavier - When my species has Psi Powers, i always make special Armor designs to carry Modules of this type in the battle. Nothing is as easy to kill as an fleeing opponent
Karnak - If you use a Combiantion of Anti-Armor & anti structure weapones, a must have. Even a narrow crack in teh Armor can be used to totally skip the blue layers and directly hit the structure for massive daamge. And chance for Critcial hits.
Joker - If you lack phaser PD and Interceptors, this might just mean the difference between a Missile death and destryoing the foes.
Hawkeye - must for Combat Sensor ships. Never underestimate the relevance of Inforamtion agaisnt a human palyer Especially on that read how Sensors & signatures work: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=48303
Point Defense - only use them to retrofit some PD on ships that were designed pre-PD. Once i get them Sjet is better.
Heavy Beam & Torpedo - Never understimate having a big gun more! Sure, firing more often is nice. But 5 Torpdoes every 15 seconds are harder for PD to shoot down then 4 every 12 seconds even if both numbers are 20/Minute.
BioWar - If you want to posion a well, you want to poision a well. Also keep in mind that you can now mix different Plagues into one strike or have Biowar ability on unusual ship classes (like a much faster armor mission section).
Power Modules: Must have if your species just lacks the power Production nessesary for high energy weapons.
Scotsman - More usefull for High Structure races, but if your enemy aims to penetrate your armor with precise fire and Karnak to score criticals and you lack goop & repair psionic, this might be a soft counter.

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:11 am

I"m not sure any of these are "must" haves.

It's a more complicated decision and there is opportunity cost to consider. But yeah I can see why you think some of these are "must" haves, but for example, that "goop" or "karnak" - is it better to be able to heal, or to have more accurate shots that penetrate armor, versus having more volume of fire?

deathcoy

Post by deathcoy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:21 pm

chris0101 wrote:I know there's a thread about the Morrigi LV with I think all Sjet (since they have up to 8 per LV).

Morrigi LV are probably the weakest among all the LVs w/o Sjet modules, but with it decked with Sjet it becomes a beast, sometimes i wonder if Sjet was intended that way seeing as how Morrigi LVs are the only ones able to deck Sjet in every module slot except the some in the back...

zortlord

Post by zortlord » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:46 pm

You should check out bulwark modules on a Loa ship. Heh heh heh.

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:15 am

Oh my gosh... so I just now discovered that sjet modules stack...

Why would I ever use anything else? For Solforce at least, I actually *gain* endurance replacing camels with sjets! I see no downside to slapping 5 on every dreadnaught and having them just fire a continuous stream of pew!

Return to “The Ships”