Goop or Bulwark?

Discuss ships, sections, and designs.

Moderator: Erinys

Pavane

Goop or Bulwark?

Post by Pavane » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:19 pm

I have researched both Goop and Bulwark modules. I assume that Goop is most useful because it stops damage before it hits internal systems which might possibly cause a critical hit. On the other hand Bulwarks are a much later technology and adds 200, 800, and 800 structure points to cruisers, dreadnoughts, and leviathans respectively. I assume that Goop repairs less armour than that, so Bulwarks offer more protection.

Which is your preference, or do you use a combination?
Last edited by Pavane on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stellar Union

Karu

Re: Goop or Bulwark?

Post by Karu » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:27 am

You can Bulkward on some slots were goop does not work (Engine sections one some cruisers and most DNs comes to mind).

But at the end I would say depends on your enemys weapon loadout.
Against heap f.e. bulkward would be better, while for Mass driver the goop is much better.

Sincerly

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:00 pm

I guess the key is that once the armour is breached, even one box wide, then Goop cannot fix it any longer. When you are in the era of having both modules available then cruisers should definitely use Bulwarks, while ships with lots of layers of armour might be able to get away with Goop. As the saying goes: Goop is good but Bulwarks are forever.
Last edited by Pavane on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stellar Union

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:05 pm

Yeah it heavily depends on the weapons you're facing.

I'd say against Meson for example - Bulwark is far superior since Meson's penetrate so many armor layers. Against mass XRay lasers or Stormers then Goop would most likely be better.

Against focused beams Goop is questionable in some ways as well since the weapon damage pattern is a narrow, deep line.

On the other hand over a long sustained battle, replenishing armor over the course of a multi-round battle is invaluable.

Return to “The Ships”