RACE: HIVER

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Thamuzz

Re: RACE: HIVER

Post by Thamuzz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:23 am

Erinys wrote:Every society has their vision of the Right Thing To Do. For obvious reasons, Hivers view death differently than Humans do, and some political processes have a component which is heavily biological. 8)

--Arinn

The undiscovered country from whose bourn
No traveler returns, puzzles the will

Loses some of its punch when the speaker may have, you know, returned.

Here's another weird one: Hivers believe that the soul is preserved between incarnations. Reincarnation is facilitated by the consumption of the brain. That suggests a connection between body (in particular the brain) and soul.
When do the Hivers believe that the soul and body separate? Is it when the brain rots away/is cremated? Does the connection extend beyond the brain (if you say, cremated everything but the brain, would the soul be set free)? Are there any customs/taboos associated with this?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:04 am

According to the Hivers, some part of the soul always resides with the brain crystals. One of the great historical battlegrounds on the Hiver home world is called "the Soul Sands" for this reason.

The battles that were fought on this desert plain were often so intense, so bloody and so long in duration that many of the dead of countless armies were never recovered by their brothers. Others had to be buried in great death pits or funeral mounds, or burned in mass pyres.

The brain crystals are extremely hardy in a Hiver skeleton, and will always be one of the longest surviving body parts after burial or during cremation. They are also not attractive to predators and are not broken down by fungus and bacteria, unlike other forms of Hiver tissue, including the chitin and bones.

Visitors to the Soul Sands will find the deep white dunes full of literally thousands or hundreds of thousands of crystals. They are all that remains of the countless warriors who fought and died in this place, generation after generation, for the glory or survival of their clans.

Although the majority of the crystals are charred or broken, some of them are still bright,. If consumed, they would still pass on a small portion of the memory of an ancient warrior or Prince, a Hiver who fell in the fighting hundreds or even thousands of years ago.

--Arinn

P.S. The closest real life model to the size and inner complexity of a Hiver brain crystal is a geode or this bismuth egg.

Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:11 am

To answer the question in another way...many Hivers do not believe in a "soul" at all. Atheist Hivers would argue that the memory crystals are the only "soul" that any Hiver can possess, and that the modern practice of creating engrams is far superior to the crude biological transfer of limited and imperfect memories that can be achieved by barbaric ancient practices like ritual cannibalism.

For the majority of Hivers who belong to the Goddess cult, the souls of the dead are believed to reside with the crystals until they are consumed by a female Hiver or offered to the Goddess as part of an appropriate burial rite. Hivers will go to a great deal of trouble to recover the heads of their fallen dead for this reason, even if the rest of the body is inaccessible, and deaths which make the bodies of the fallen irrecoverable are considered particularly terrible. Drowning and spacing are considered among the worst possible fates for a Hiver warrior, if the body is lost.

--Arinn

usermist2

Post by usermist2 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:48 am

So I was browsing the Internet, and came across this:

And since we need something on the lighter side of Hivers to discuss, what forms of dance do Hivers perform? Would any of them willingly dance with several human females in the ballet / professional dance industry, and if such a thing still exists for Humans, what does it look like?

Things Go Better With C2H5OH.

Lord_Asmodeus

Post by Lord_Asmodeus » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:37 pm

So, this may be more of a faction question, but do the Hivers use their gates on planet to travel directly between worlds (sort of like Stargate, for example) and if not, is the reason a technological limitation or resource/military concerns?
ImageImage

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:54 pm

usermist2 wrote:And since we need something on the lighter side of Hivers to discuss, what forms of dance do Hivers perform? Would any of them willingly dance with several human females in the ballet / professional dance industry, and if such a thing still exists for Humans, what does it look like?

The closet human equivalent to Hiver dancing for the upper body would be fire-spinning and "flow" arts, such as buugeng.

Hivers very good at this--especially at doing it in unison.

Contrasting Human bodies and Hiver bodies dancing together is difficult. The nearest equivalent in terms of size and the difference in motion on this planet is something like this.

--Arinn

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:57 pm

Lord_Asmodeus wrote:So, this may be more of a faction question, but do the Hivers use their gates on planet to travel directly between worlds (sort of like Stargate, for example) and if not, is the reason a technological limitation or resource/military concerns?

Answer: yes, but planetary Gates move only from throneroom to throneroom, and those who use them are only those traveling on the urgent business for the Queen. Moving matter through space is not trivial and the vast majority of Gate traffic must be regulated through the ordinary shipping lanes. Even data transmissions are rationed.

--Arinn

Scotscin

Post by Scotscin » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:59 pm

Considering that Hivers love chess, what do they think about the modern game technically being known as Mad Queen's Chess? :P

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:27 pm

Scotscin wrote:Considering that Hivers love chess, what do they think about the modern game technically being known as Mad Queen's Chess? :P

You may possibly have stumbled onto an Easter Egg in the Hiver lore which only a few chess lovers would understand.

My cousin, Richard Dembo, made an academy-award winning film about chess in the 1980's, called Dangerous Moves. I've had a mild interest in the history and personalities of chess ever since. :)

--Arinn

Scotscin

Post by Scotscin » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:29 pm

Neat! Are chess variants popular among the Children?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Scotscin wrote:Neat! Are chess variants popular among the Children?

They love the game and have been known to play variants, use the pieces to play completely different Hiver games, and to collect interestingly carved pieces just as action figures.

--Arinn

Scotscin

Post by Scotscin » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:17 pm

Thamuzz wrote:
Erinys wrote:P.S. So far as adolescent power fantasies are concerned--it is arguably the case that the majority of Hivers do not ever get over them, because they cannot. Hiver workers tend to fantasize about being clever, and solving problems non-violently: they would idolize heroes like Doctor Who, Sherlock Holmes, famous lawyers and scientists, etc.. Warriors tend to appreciate stories about heroes who make liberal use of violence, or embrace serious personal risks. They enjoy stories about police, soldiers, bodyguards, etc.. "Buddy pictures" in Hiver cinema invariably involve a worker and a warrior, often from different clans, who learn to cooperate to solve a problem or series of problems.

So, I finally got around to watching Wreck It Ralph shortly after first reading that, and it resulted in a weird thought that has been fermenting in my brain for a while:
You are the director/screenwriter team tasked with adapting Wreck it Ralph for a Hiver audience. What do you do?

Here are my thoughts:
The Raplh-Vanelope arc would be pretty easy to adapt. Ralph's backstory would be a clanless warrior, instead of a displaced vagrant. Vanelope would be a juvenile royal (whether prince or princess would be the stuff of internet flamewars). Ralphs quest for acceptance becomes a desire to gain a family, and he ultimately becomes a surrogate father figure/nurse to the Vanelope.
Now, the FIx-It-Felix/Calhoun arc is where it gets interesting. I see two ways it could go.
1) Fix-It Felix is a worker, Calhoun is a warrior, possibly another clanless. Story is shifted from being a romance to a standard Hiver buddy story.
2) Fix-It Felix is a prince (probably a reborn worker). Calhoun is split into a princess and a group of warriors serving her, with the princess acting largely as C&C. The romance arc of the original is preserved.
Either way, the bug enemies would probably be replaced with something more mammalian.
I have no idea what they would do with the main villain though.

For some reason I've been thinking how a human would adapt Fury Road to a Hiver audience. I'd wager the setting would be similar (society completely collapsed from inter-clan warfare).

Max, of course, would be the clanless warrior that's been roaming the desert for years. Still has hallucinations of all the people he couldn't save.

Immortan Joe would be a Queen/Princess who's completely lost her mind (a female leading a war band? Society really has collapsed). "Immortal Storm", let's call her, still holds onto an aquifer like the original version and has alliances with nearby Queens/Princesses for supplies. In this version, she's still obsessed with having an heir free of mutations like Joe is in the original.

The Five Wives are now The Five Princes, ones who know that if they don't escape, their future sons will only know madness and tyranny.

Furiosa (now Furious Sand) is another Prince or even another Warrior given the task of guarding the Five Princes, and begins to have second thoughts of serving Immortal Storm when he realizes just how far gone she is.

The basic plot of Fury Road follows. "Max" gets captured by Immortal Storm's warriors, Sand absconds with the Five Princes, and a long road war ensues as Immortal Storm tries to get them back, only to die like Immortan did in the original (face torn off by the wheels of her own truck).

Probably glanced over by Hiver Workers, but a huge hit with Warriors. :)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:39 pm

Interesting thought exercise! The gender swap concept is not perfectly one-to-one with Hivers, but yes. I suspect that Max and Furiosa would be warriors, and Joe at least would be a Mad Queen.

--Arinn

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:18 pm

As opposed to Tarka where the society depicted in Mad Max would probably just warrant a shrug from the average Tarkan "Yeah. That's what happens when you don't keep the males firmly under your thumb. At least that Furiosa decided to do the sensible thing and start a new coterie with a new male. They're feeding Max Eggs right? I know they can't show that on film but they have to be, right?".
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Scotscin

Post by Scotscin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:47 pm

A friend of mine drew this. After years of circulation in its native K'en-k'en, Metz'oin's famous comic What Would Mother Think? is finally being translated into English! :D

Return to “The Lore”