RACE: MORRIGI

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Naja
Doomsayer

Re: RACE: MORRIGI

Post by Naja » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:31 am

Love the usage of Greek. In SOTS lore, did the travelers ever visit Hellas?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:34 am

Yes, they were quite fond of the Mediterranean for many years.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:38 am

Were the Morrigi the instigators of Greek language structure, or did they pick it up from Humans?

It sort of begs a deeper question about Morrigi tokens. Are they all tangible, or can a neat "token" to bring back home include something intangible like a beautiful poem, or an innovative idea...or a bunch of cool-sounding words from that crazy race of talking apes? :)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:40 pm

The Morrigi Trade language is a Creole, and some loan words are more common than others. There are also Mayan, Egyptian and Chinese words, Tarka words, Hiver words, Liir words, and words from languages more difficult to identify. The Greek language on Earth is derived from a Proto-European base, but it has many words which are borrowed from unknown languages, including many of the traditional mythic names that end in -eus. (Perseus, Theseus, Atreus, etc.). These names could easily have originated with the Morrigi, or both the Morrigi and the Greeks may have borrowed them from some other culture.

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Cool! That's the bonus of having a lore writer who specializes in anthropology.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:07 pm

Morrigi males cultivate a sacred relationship with the stars. They worship the "Burning Brothers" much as Morrigi women worship their planets, although they recognize that the stars seldom need literal, physical protection, except from very rare and terrible enemies.

I take it they are not at all fond of sparky, then?
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Will the Great

Re: Religion Among the Morrigi

Post by Will the Great » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Erinys wrote:In chemistry, for example, Morrigi tend to group the elements of the periodic table into "Tribes", each of which has a "leader" whose prominence is explained in terms of prevalence or importance. Noble gases are called the Tribe of Helium, and the alkali metals are the Sodium Tribe. When explaining chemical interactions and ideas to young children, Morrigi teachers may appeal to simple metaphors. They may explain that sodium chloride is the product of a marriage alliance, that Hydrogen is the Morru Khan of the elements, or that Carbon is a wealthy woman with many husbands and children. It is common in early primers to explain that carbon monoxide is lethal to most oxygen breathers because it is "Glamourous", and fools hemoglobin and myoglobin in their blood into "mating" with the wrong molecule.

Erinys, reading this forum is like sifting through a goldmine. This stuff is brilliant.

I don't know why but I seem to enjoy reading about the Morrigi the most. :lol: Maybe it's the juxtaposition of social elements that western society traditionally considers "primitive" (ritualistic social hierarchies, spirit-worship, gender segregation, etc) with a highly sophisticated, technologically advanced civilization. Could also be the constant reminders of just how many earth languages were influenced by trade creole. Akhilleos the Swift of the Myrmidon tribe indeed!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:03 am

Azrael Ultima wrote:I take it they are not at all fond of sparky, then?

No, they regard they System Killer as a particularly vile abomination.

--Arinn

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: Religion Among the Morrigi

Post by Erinys » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:06 am

Will the Great wrote:Erinys, reading this forum is like sifting through a goldmine. This stuff is brilliant.

I don't know why but I seem to enjoy reading about the Morrigi the most. :lol: Maybe it's the juxtaposition of social elements that western society traditionally considers "primitive" (ritualistic social hierarchies, spirit-worship, gender segregation, etc) with a highly sophisticated, technologically advanced civilization. Could also be the constant reminders of just how many earth languages were influenced by trade creole. Akhilleos the Swift of the Myrmidon tribe indeed!

I'm glad you enjoy them. The Morrigi are an interesting challenge to work with.

--Arinn

sob

Post by sob » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:29 pm

Yep the lore section of this game and thus this forum is great. I all ways love games that put life in to there world and the best way to that is with lore.

Why are the dragons so hard to work with. Is it because the Morrigi are a old race that has had dealings with other races. After reading up on morrigi lore I made them my favorite race, over the talking apes even.
you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:54 pm

The Morrigi have a language which is based on real world sampling, which sometimes takes a bit of research. They also have a very alien mindset, and their lore has to combine the elements that make up the race: guile, humor, greed, passion, love of tribe, heroism, and perhaps more than anything else, multi-culturalism.

--Arinn

Thamuzz

Post by Thamuzz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:45 pm

So, what actually happened at Delphi when Apollo claimed the oracle there? In this case, the slaying of the dragon seems... counterproductive.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:26 pm

Thamuzz wrote:So, what actually happened at Delphi when Apollo claimed the oracle there? In this case, the slaying of the dragon seems... counterproductive.

I believe the entire 'dragons are evil' vs 'dragons are good' has been talked over in the past. Essentially the western mythos comes from the Morrigi not really conducting fair trade with the primitive humans ("yes, give me all that gold for these tokens..."), basic greed (the Morrigi certainly did and do hoard treasures) or from exploitation with individual Morrigi acting like gods or princes. Apparently something that might not have been unique to Earth given the event surrounding the death of the Wyrm of Daam'to.

But one must not forget that we are talking mythos, the actual events are likely very twisted by narrative, ethics or events of later date (as the stories are retold the teller might change it to fit his time, and people, better), and in some cases the events can be entirely made up. So a quest to slay a dragon might be nothing more than a rememberance of a time when actual dragons came and were very powerful, thus slaying one such would be impressive indeed. Basically establishing the protagonist as a true hero.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Thamuzz

Post by Thamuzz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:38 pm

Tarrak wrote:
Thamuzz wrote:So, what actually happened at Delphi when Apollo claimed the oracle there? In this case, the slaying of the dragon seems... counterproductive.

I believe the entire 'dragons are evil' vs 'dragons are good' has been talked over in the past. Essentially the western mythos comes from the Morrigi not really conducting fair trade with the primitive humans ("yes, give me all that gold for these tokens..."), basic greed (the Morrigi certainly did and do hoard treasures) or from exploitation with individual Morrigi acting like gods or princes. Apparently something that might not have been unique to Earth given the event surrounding the death of the Wyrm of Daam'to.

But one must not forget that we are talking mythos, the actual events are likely very twisted by narrative, ethics or events of later date (as the stories are retold the teller might change it to fit his time, and people, better), and in some cases the events can be entirely made up. So a quest to slay a dragon might be nothing more than a rememberance of a time when actual dragons came and were very powerful, thus slaying one such would be impressive indeed. Basically establishing the protagonist as a true hero.

I am aware of that. I'm curious about the actual historical event that was the basis of the myth.
In the myth, the Oracle of Delphi (the Pythia) was protected by a pair of terrible dragons/serpents. Apollo killed the dragons and claimed the oracle for himself. Given the nature of the Morrigi Doomsayers, the Oracle of Delphi was almost certainly a dragon herself.
So, what actually happened? Apollo being a solar deity makes me think he was probably based on a Morrigi male, and a somewhat aggressive/pushy one at that (given some of his other stories).

My first guess is that they myth is an example of a Morrigi male who wasn't willing to take no for an answer and the dragons slain were the oracles sisters or fellow priestesses who interfered on the Pythia's behalf. However, given Morrigi societal norms, I very much doubt that a male would be allowed to get away with something like that, and Apollo doesn't suffer retribution from Gaia in the story, which I would expect would be the case if my theory were correct.

Another theory is that the Pythia claimed was, in fact, just a human acolyte or student, and the dragons slain were her teachers/superiors. In the case, Apollo was probably the leader of a band of dragon hunters who got lucky, and was later had his actions ascribed to a god.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:06 am

Two Morrigi females, conducting field experiments to determine the psionic potential of humankind, in particular the ability to produce Doomsayers. Precognition is a rare manifestation and highly prized wherever it crops up.

The native males did not appreciate their meddling and murdered them, took the women and girls involved, and set up their own oracle.

Regrettable, but such things have happened to many social scientists in many cultural contact situations, on many worlds.

--Arinn

Return to “The Lore”