RACE: MORRIGI

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Tarrak

Re: RACE: MORRIGI

Post by Tarrak » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:27 am

Doesn't have to be like that. The oracle at Delphi was merely one of several known and accepted oracles. They were visited by actual historical characters that were more real than made up. In essence we still have oracles, they are just not as widely accepted now. In the sotsverse they are merely individuals who have tapped into the latent human psionic abilities. Those people will always exist. Oracles are not a Morrigi invention... well, perhaps they were the first we know of to have them, but any race with psionics is bound to have a few that claim they can tell the future.
[EDIT] Ah, Erinys stepped in ahead of my post. Not too bad from my point of view. :P [/EDIT]

So the dragons in the myth about Apollo might be nothing more than interjecting the powerful rememberance of dragons and their strength. Apollo himself, and many of his abilities and behaviours could indicate a Morrigi. He likes to use a bow, from very far away too, he is associated with light, he likes music, he is prophetic, he is a proponent of intellectual pursuits and he commonly uses poisons/plagues. Many of these things would fit fairly well, but I guess many of the Olympians, and even the Titans, would fit Morrigi well simply because godlike powers can easily be changed into technological powers, and of course vice versa.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Thamuzz

Post by Thamuzz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:44 am

Take a look at Hekate of Thiva's entry. She's described as a Pythia, which is the name of the Oracle of Delphi. I'm willing to bet that Arinn was expecting someone to point out the connection when she posted that little bio. I think I'll leave some of the other obvious hooks for some other classical mythology geek to bite.

Okay, I lied. Only one more:
In classical mythology, Rhea is the wife of Kronos, mother of Zeus and wife of Zeus. Kronos does sound like it could be a Morrigi name, but he doesn't get mentioned in the Cult of Rhea entry. Was Kronos a Morrigi, or was this a case of humans incorporating elements of Morrigi mythology into their own?

Formid

Post by Formid » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:50 am

No one ever remembers the Oracle at Dodona

I'm surprised at all the Greek influence. I mean I expected it, just thought it would be mixed in with a bit more from other Earth cultures as well. Not that I mind, because ancient Greece is pretty fun.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:12 am

Formid wrote:No one ever remembers the Oracle at Dodona

I'm surprised at all the Greek influence. I mean I expected it, just thought it would be mixed in with a bit more from other Earth cultures as well. Not that I mind, because ancient Greece is pretty fun.

I actually know it, not extensively of course. But the oracle at Dodona is one of those interesting border cases, literally. The fact that she was sitting in Dodona in Epirus made the otherwise rather xenophobic Greeks wary of her, even while they flocked to seek her counsil. In her own right she is a great study. When I use 'she' I mean the institution of the oracle.

The Greek influence is explained to be because te Morrigi took a liking to the Mediterranian. And the language, which we don't know yet of who influenced who, though Ancient Greek is indeed one of the Indo-European languages. Who knows, maybe they liked the entire citystate structure and felt it was similar to thier own tribal planets?
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Jeep-Eep

Post by Jeep-Eep » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:30 pm

If memory serves, the greeks kept big public rose gardens for perfume, medicinal use and nutritional properties. Did the plant ever catch the Morrigi's eyes when they were on Earth and interacting with them?

(I've got this mental image of some human who either grew up on Indian/Iranian food or is a big fan of such consuming some Morrigi dish or drink and recognising something suspiciously like the flavor of rosewater.)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:39 pm

Morrigi are fond of flowering plants and would not be averse to growing a fragrant thorn bush, especially if it could be used to flavor food and drink. They certainly do have a selection of plants in their agricultural traditions which come from other worlds, including some notable examples from Terra and the Hiver homeworld. They love the smell and taste of mint, as an example, and there a number of Tarka herbs and peppers in their cooking, as well as three varieties of Hiver fungus, including the infamous Boletus hiveris, the famous "Hiver cave giant" mushroom, which so many human colonists of former Hiver worlds have learned to love.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:53 am

What does it feel like to be subjected to Glamour?

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:21 am

Erinys wrote:Morrigi are fond of flowering plants and would not be averse to growing a fragrant thorn bush, especially if it could be used to flavor food and drink. They certainly do have a selection of plants in their agricultural traditions which come from other worlds, including some notable examples from Terra and the Hiver homeworld. They love the smell and taste of mint, as an example, and there a number of Tarka herbs and peppers in their cooking, as well as three varieties of Hiver fungus, including the infamous Boletus hiveris, the famous "Hiver cave giant" mushroom, which so many human colonists of former Hiver worlds have learned to love.

--Arinn

Now I'm curious, but why would the Hiver mushroom be considered "in"famous? Or was it meant more with affection?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:31 am

It's meant with affection. It is delicious, has a lot of digestible protein and carbohydrates, develops interesting color patterns, and has a thick fibrous stalk which can be used for wood pulp applications like paper, cardboard, insulation, matting etc..

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Ixal

Post by Ixal » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:20 pm

Whelp, wrong thread. Sorry.

Iron Talon

Post by Iron Talon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:24 am

Apologies of this had been asked before, but I know that the Morrigi relation to AIs is different than most. I'm more curious as to the exact nature of it, both pre and post-Via Damasco.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Iron Talon wrote:Apologies of this had been asked before, but I know that the Morrigi relation to AIs is different than most. I'm more curious as to the exact nature of it, both pre and post-Via Damasco.

Search the forum for "Aida" and "Garuda".

--Arinn

theSmallerFish

Post by theSmallerFish » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:21 am

I thought I'd post this because I had some thoughts about Morrigi psychology and culture, and I'd like to find out exactly how wrong I am. So pausing only to adjust my tinfoil hat, here goes:

My first thought, and the one where I think I am on least shaky ground (although still shaky enough that I could easily be wrong about this), is that the morrigi conception of gender roles is on a very basic level quite different to that of humans. I don't just mean the big obvious differences (humans are after all not completely gender segregated with half of us being interstellar warrior-nomads, and the other half being planet bound industrialists), on a personal level Morrigi males and females do not think about themselves and the opposite sex the same way that that humans do. After all human ideas about gender are informed by our culture, history, and biology, none of which we share with morrigi. If nothing else, the fact that we are bipeds who give birth to live young, while morrigi are egg-laying quadrupeds, means that pregnancy and childbirth is going to be much less inconvenient, and dangerous, for morrigi than for humans.

Therefore, morrigi males do not think like human males, in some situations they have more in common with human males than with human females, sometimes they have more in common with human females than human males, and sometimes they do not fit anywhere on the human gender spectrum (the same can presumably be said of morrigi females). To use a rather crude metaphor, if you see a pair of morrigi on their first date, you shouldn't be surprised if the female shows up in a (metaphorical) dinner suit, the male shows up in an equally metaphorical little black dress, and if he's very old fashioned, expects his date to pick up the bill.

Of course this doesn't add anything to our knowledge of how morrigi act, it's just a perceptual trick which might make the reasons why they act the way they do a little clearer. When considering the actions of any morrigi, you might, in certain situations, get a clearer view if you try picturing them (in human terms) as a member of a different sex than their biological sex, a morrigi male is always a morrigi male, but sometimes, in human terms he's a she. Of course, despite being just a perceptual trick, it might be a perceptual trick which will reliably give you the wrong impression, in which case I'm wrong.

The second thought, and I am moving on to much shakier ground here, is that if you go back far enough (as in, before the morrigi ever went into space), the role of warrior was not always considered a masculine one, and this contributes a lot about how morrigi view female warriors. In the lore I have read (and I might have missed something or be reading it wrong) female morrigi seem to be more territorial than the males and their glamour seems to be more orientated towards direct combat than male glamour, which seems to be more useful for hunting, herding and courtship. Also, while their gender differences are exagerated by different lifestyles, morrigi females seem to be naturally much larger and stronger than males (even my most conservative estimates give them a much bigger gender difference than humans), meaning that a low tech morrigi male might not have much hope facing a female in combat. Added to the fact that an egg-laying female is much more expendable than a mammalian female, it's not hard to see how early morrigi might consider warfare a primarily female concern. (Of course modern morrigi have a very different idea about what makes a good warrior, and if that opinion goes all the way back to the morrigi stone age then I'm completely wrong, but I already have my tinfoil hat on, so I'll press on :noid: ).

This ancient history might be relevant to modern morrigi in the following way: if ancient morrigi were anything like humans, military power would have had a tendency to translate to political power, and that would have left ancient morrigi males as second class citizens (they'd hardly be the only species to sideline a whole gender over this kind of issue). If that were the case then morrigi males claiming the role of warrior as a masculine role, could be seen as related to some ancient gender liberation (either as a cause or an effect). On that basis it's not hard to see why morrigi males react so very badly to female morrigi warriors. Imagine some distant descendant of a modern human realm exclusively defended by a society of extremely proud, highly feminist, warrior women. How would they react to the suggestion that they needed men to help them fulfill their military duties? How would they react if things actually did get so bad that some men decided they had to take up arms? It wouldn't just be a humiliation from the enemy who created that situation, it could also be seen as an insult from the men who had taken up arms, for having the presumption (however accurate) to think that their amazon protectors needed their assistance. The reaction of the starborn tribes to the harpies might be less akin to "Get back in the kitchen you stupid woman" and closer to "How dare you assume we couldn't manage you chauvinist pig". This is of course a lot of assumptions piled on top of each other so I wouldn't be even faintly surprised if this is completely wrong, but if even part of it is right I would be really grateful for a blow by blow rundown of my wrongness.

My third thought is based on such shaky ground I wouldn't be surprised if it was still wrong even if I got everything else right, but I'm getting to like my tinfoil hat, so here goes. The decline of the morrigi civilization 15,000 years ago might not be a result of some war or disaster, it might be a result of changing attitudes amongst the morrigi. The peak of their civilization might refer to the point when their structures were most widely spread, when they had the most powerful starships, the largest fleets, and the least competition. This might represent the peak of a morrigi empire, but if one day they decided that throwing your weight around and oppressing younger races was not an appropriate way for civilized people to behave, a great many things would change. If they decided to give more autonomy to their subject races you could see morrigi colonists pulling out of huge volumes of space that had once belonged to those races, and within those volumes aging morrigi structures would be replaced by indigenous architecture. If the morrigi decided not to shoot their neighbours quite so often they might dismantle colonies and military bases in border regions to avoid antagonizing them. If they were less inclined to go on great and glorious wars of conquest, the morrigi war fleets might have been dismantled as unnecessary relics, replaced with trading vessels built not for power, or firepower, but efficiency and reliability. Over time the infrastructure and bureaucracy of the empire would have faded with disuse, and the designs for terrifying ancient war machines would have been kept as ever more obscure state secrets, after all they aren't good for anything except scaring the neighbours and giving angry young morrigi bad ideas.

Fifteen millenia later, the great and mighty morrigi empire is in the past, and everyone is quite happy about that. Oppressed subjects and bitter enemies have become valued trading partners, fleets of unstoppable dreadnoughts spreading fear and death have been replaced armadas of efficient freighters creating wealth and goodwill, and the once vast morrigi empire has become a series of trading posts and migration routes. The empire is in the past, and it was a bloody past, the galaxy is much more civilized now, who'd have vassals when you could have customers, or even friends. Life was good. Then the Suul'ka arrived :shock: .

Of course the change in the ancient morrigi empire is unlikely to have been overnight, and it might not have been entirely voluntary. If the ancient morrigi were overly fond of throwing their weight around, then they could have made a lot of enemies very fast, and even if those enemies could not outright defeat the morrigi empire, the economic strain might have been enough to persuade the morrigi that playing nice was in everyones best interests.

So, there you have my hair-brained ideas for your consideration.

p.s. I apologise for the monster post, I had a lot I wanted to put down :oops: .

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:29 am

Welcome to the forums, tSF. :)

--Arinn

theSmallerFish

Post by theSmallerFish » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:04 am

Thank you.

Return to “The Lore”