FACTION: SOL FORCE

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Formid

Re: FACTION: SOL FORCE

Post by Formid » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:25 am

As an official Hero of Science (tm) I demand his possessions be interred next to Carl Sagan.

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

Post by COL Tatticky » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:33 am

There's no need to be cruel, now. :bangdesk:
Adeptus Astronomica assesment: Psyker, Grade Beta
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

Psicrown

Re: DISCOVERY OF NODE SPACE

Post by Psicrown » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:56 pm

I don't want to annoy with my first post, so I'm sorry if these questions seem irrelevant, but I'm curious about a couple of things to do with sots physics,

firstly if Blasky opened a wormhole in the suns gravity well in order to access node space, are the node points we see in the first game (and presumably in the second) large scale permanent wormholes? if so, why isn't travel time instantaneous? (i realize that this could just be me over thinking and if so I'm sorry)

and second; presumably the node ring opens or allows access to node space in a similar way to the equipment on Blasky's pod, which means it can influence space-time. does this mean that in SOTS ][ well see some kind of inertia-less drive come of this?

oh one last thing, can anyone tell me who i pm to get rid of an old account? :oops:
To plunder, to slaughter, to steal, these things they misname Empire; and where they make a wilderness, they call it peace.

- Publius Cornelius Tacitus (55-117) Roman historian

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:07 pm

Psicrown wrote:firstly if Blasky opened a wormhole in the suns gravity well in order to access node space, are the node points we see in the first game (and presumably in the second) large scale permanent wormholes? if so, why isn't travel time instantaneous? (i realize that this could just be me over thinking and if so I'm sorry)

I would assume it's because the distance from Sol to Jupiter (~800 million km) is just a few orders of magnitude smaller than the distance to the closest star (4.3 light-years, or ~41 trillion km).

Psicrown wrote:and second; presumably the node ring opens or allows access to node space in a similar way to the equipment on Blasky's pod, which means it can influence space-time. does this mean that in SOTS ][ well see some kind of inertia-less drive come of this?

I would say no. Human drive travel is done through "cracks" or along "seams" in node space and I don't think time works any differently there. Gravity currents just allow for shorter distance of travel, not shorter time (I don't think).

Psicrown wrote:oh one last thing, can anyone tell me who i pm to get rid of an old account? :oops:

I would assume castewar could probably get rid of it for you, but he might be kind of busy at the moment. ;)

Scirch

Post by Scirch » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:20 pm

As far as I can tell, it's the stars that do the space-time bending, which produce the nodes (and the node line between), whereas the node drive allows a ship to pass through these nodes.

And travel time is not instantaneous, much to the chagrin of humans everywhere. The ship has to travel within subspace, which is highly compressed compared to normal space, but still must be traversed before exiting the other node.
When one makes something fool-proof, they inevitably fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:53 pm

Psicrown wrote:firstly if Blasky opened a wormhole in the suns gravity well in order to access node space, are the node points we see in the first game (and presumably in the second) large scale permanent wormholes? if so, why isn't travel time instantaneous? (i realize that this could just be me over thinking and if so I'm sorry)

Node Space access points are not worm holes.

and second; presumably the node ring opens or allows access to node space in a similar way to the equipment on Blasky's pod, which means it can influence space-time.

Not sure what that means, or what you think it means. Node Drives allow a ship to enter and exit through natural, pre-existing fissures in space-time.

does this mean that in SOTS ][ well see some kind of inertia-less drive come of this?

The SotS universe already had an inertia-less drive. It's called the Flicker Drive, and the Liir use it to get around.

To get rid of an old account, contact castewarkp.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Psicrown

Post by Psicrown » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:35 pm

Erinys wrote:
Node Space access points are not worm holes.

---

does this mean that in SOTS ][ well see some kind of inertia-less drive come of this?

The SotS universe already had an inertia-less drive. It's called the Flicker Drive, and the Liir use it to get around.

Thank you Erinys, Torezu and Scirch

I already know about the other races inertia-less drives, like the Liir's drive i was just curious about the possibility of a human one (like the Tarka's last drive advancement in sots prime). what i was getting at was just how the node drive was used to enter the natural fissures, but i realize that it probably doesn't matter. i just wanted to know how you imagined it working Erinys, that was all (hence my question about the effect on space-time).

As for it being instantaneous, if its not a wormhole then my question doesn't really apply; presumably its some phenomena that's completely new to physics in canon, so wont fit my expectations.
To plunder, to slaughter, to steal, these things they misname Empire; and where they make a wilderness, they call it peace.

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:28 pm

When Humans try to design an intra-system FTL they come up with the Node Fighter, that can Node between large masses (planets, sun, maybe moons) but due to the Node Line being small/unstable larger ships cannot do this. So just like on the strategic map where human Node is FAST but limited to certain paths, in tactical combat Node Fighter intra-system FTL is FAST but only done between celestial bodies.

You got "wormhole" from Erinys' post in the first page in this thread, right? I don't have any more explanation of what wormhole meant in that context than you do.
Last edited by Hari Seldon on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Psicrown

Post by Psicrown » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:51 pm

Hari Seldon wrote:You got "wormhole" from Erinys' post in the first page in this thread, right? I don't have any more explanation of what wormhole meant in that context than you do.

I did, but i don't like to second guess the writer in her own universe, (not that I'm accusing anyone of doing so) it seems presumptive. Maybe, wormhole is just a convenient name for any metric (local shape of space-time) that leads from one point to another at FTL speeds, through node-space or otherwise? If so then you could refer to the Hiver gate network as a network of 'wormholes' but that would just be different semantics. All i can say is that from a physics standpoint, the concepts are intriguing.

Edit: thanks for the link hari.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:53 pm

I've changed it to avoid any further confusion. I was trying to go for a word that new players would understand, but clearly they read far too much into that term.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Psicrown

Post by Psicrown » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:54 am

Erinys wrote:I've changed it to avoid any further confusion. I was trying to go for a word that new players would understand, but clearly they read far too much into that term.

--Arinn

I thought that was what i was doing. sorry. :oops:

Saiphas

Post by Saiphas » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:57 am

Thanks again for taking the time to answer these questions for us Arinn! Now, with most of the major pop centers in the US and china under water, what regions, cities either grew or rose up in their place? Also was did the India subcontinent gain increased prominence or did it get devastated in a a conflict between pakistan and India itself? I ask this mostly because the worst case scenario map doesn't look like much of its territory was lost and it's current trend as both a leader in culture and technology would seem to give it increased leverage with the demise of the first world.

Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:05 am

In the Human lore entry, it was mentioned Rome was preserved with "billions of dollars in sea walls." Does Sol Force use some iteration of the Dollar as its currency still?

(Also, the Best Coast survives).
Bam.

Kaan'Ish

Post by Kaan'Ish » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:05 pm

Gunslinger wrote:In the Human lore entry, it was mentioned Rome was preserved with "billions of dollars in sea walls." Does Sol Force use some iteration of the Dollar as its currency still?

(Also, the Best Coast survives).

I always assumed that that was just as a point of reference, given that dollars is the currency that the writers are used to operating in, similar to how British works often use pounds (or 'credits', which generally seem to be treated as worth approximately a pound) to translate the fictional denominations. Given the considerable influence that China seems to exert after the Hiver Wars, I would have thought that some variant of chinese currency forms a major standard, quite possibly alongside the dollar, and the euro (assuming the Eurozone holds up), given their similar ubiquity in present finance.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:13 am

After reading trough a few threads, I want to compile what we know about the fate of the SFS Leviathan:

a) It was "taken" (implying it's not destroyed)
b) The Zuul don't have it
c) The Siren doesn't have it
d) One of the Suul'Ka seems to have taken it (but does it have it still)?

Now, of other Suul'Ka, I don't think the bloodweawer would be interested. And the "living hatered" one doesn't sound like the kind to keep it either.
I speculate the Kraken was the one to take it (we saw lots of tentacles, more than I seen on the other Suul'Ka)

Correct Arrin? :|
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

Return to “The Lore”