FACTION: SOL FORCE

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: FACTION: SOL FORCE

Post by Erinys » Fri May 31, 2013 1:42 am

Night Warden wrote:I believe you mentioned earlier that Sol Force governance has varied by era. Is there a standard colonial government that they implement on new worlds?

Charter colonies are guaranteed a certain minimum of support and services, but the colonists are an independent body and they typically write their own constitution or set up their own government. So long as the terms of the charter are met, and the interests of the empire are served, Sol Force does not intervene.

Secondly being something of a cyberpunk/shadowrun fan I was wondering if Interplanetary megacorporations had developed...

There are...institutions, yes, which have slipped out from under the thumb of the Consortia on earth and are plying their old trade on new worlds. The Utilitarians fight them in every way they can, but it's not an easy battle.

What has happened to "non-infected" AIs in the post Via Damasco era? have they all been killed/disassembled/other appropriate term?

Non-infected with what? It is impossible to come in contact with any Loa without contracting the Damascene virus, if you are an AI. If an AI has never been touched by Damasco, or has been collared with an AI Slave virus which removes or inhibits it, it will be what AI's were before--a child slave.

Finally and this ties in somewhat with my first question: you mentioned that the Consortia control access to energy and information more tightly than modern governments, how much freedom does the average Sol Force citizen have?

If by Sol Force citizen, you mean someone in the direct service of the Empire--they have quite a lot of freedom and a great many privileges. Those currently serving and veterans of Sol Force, from any branch of service, are a privileged elite. They are well paid in service and guaranteed a minimum income or a land grant after they serve, they are often exempt from local taxes and civil suits, and they have a vote in elections for their branch of service. They and their children have a right to education as well.

Also a couple of other questions which relate to slightly more out of universe points, since it seems that the depth of backstory extends as far as the player avatars, is there a list anywhere as to who all the different avatars are? A few I either recognise or have been identified (Cai Rui, Mackenzie) but others I haven't seen an ID for, especially for the non-human species.

Most of them are identified in the Sotspedia for Sots 2.

My second question is mostly as a point of curiosity so you may not wish to answer this one: what's it like dealing with the Lore forum questions?

Generally it's fun and rewarding. There are a few questions I could live without, of course. Most of them have to do with whether the anatomy of various species is really incompatible, or the sexual proclivities of cetacean space Hitler. ;p

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:16 am

Secondly being something of a cyberpunk/shadowrun fan I was wondering if Interplanetary megacorporations had developed...

There are...institutions, yes, which have slipped out from under the thumb of the Consortia on earth and are plying their old trade on new worlds. The Utilitarians fight them in every way they can, but it's not an easy battle.

Oy, corps (was just reading about the role the UFC had in Guatemala's troubled history). Are there colonies that allow corporate activity but have strong government initiatives/etc. against corruption, shenanigans, and shady dealings by those corporations on their planets?

What has happened to "non-infected" AIs in the post Via Damasco era? have they all been killed/disassembled/other appropriate term?

Non-infected with what? It is impossible to come in contact with any Loa without contracting the Damascene virus, if you are an AI. If an AI has never been touched by Damasco, or has been collared with an AI Slave virus which removes or inhibits it, it will be what AI's were before--a child slave.

nicely put. [shudders]

Finally and this ties in somewhat with my first question: you mentioned that the Consortia control access to energy and information more tightly than modern governments, how much freedom does the average Sol Force citizen have?

If by Sol Force citizen, you mean someone in the direct service of the Empire--they have quite a lot of freedom and a great many privileges. Those currently serving and veterans of Sol Force, from any branch of service, are a privileged elite. They are well paid in service and guaranteed a minimum income or a land grant after they serve, they are often exempt from local taxes and civil suits, and they have a vote in elections for their branch of service. They and their children have a right to education as well.

wow, and that on top of the cybernetic enhancement opportunities? How tough are their entrance standards/tests outside of the Intelligence Corps (since we already know from Deacon's Tale that those are really tough)?

My second question is mostly as a point of curiosity so you may not wish to answer this one: what's it like dealing with the Lore forum questions?

Generally it's fun and rewarding. There are a few questions I could live without, of course. Most of them have to do with whether the anatomy of various species is really incompatible, or the sexual proclivities of cetacean space Hitler. ;p

--Arinn

Wait, am I reading this right? Did someone actually ask you about the sex lives of the Suul'ka?

Sayeth

Post by Sayeth » Fri May 31, 2013 6:51 am

Yes well, hardly surprised by that to be honest. It is the internet after all, place that houses all sorts of weird stuff and people.

Anyway, I wanted to say: Welcome back Erinys and I hope you are feeling better! 8)
"Life doesn't exist anywhere but Earth?"
That's like taking a cup of ocean water and saying there aren't any whales in the ocean.

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:48 pm

Yeah, good point. Also, I'm sorry for being so thoughtless: It's great to see your posts again after a hiatus! Your recent post in the Lore Books thread makes it sound to me like your recovery is going well (or else i'd think you wouldn't be able to be making progress on the books): Is that so?

Night Warden

Post by Night Warden » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:48 pm

Thank you for your response Erinys, that makes things a lot clearer. Please forgive me if I go a bit question manic in the near future... I've just realised a rather failed novel I tried to write once might work with a bit of a rewrite as fairly decent SOTS fanfiction ... plus well... SOTS! *ahem* just a few things I'd like to ask about fromy our response:

Thank you, I was rather unclear in hindsight. Would drawing a parallel to the ancient Roman soldiers or for something slightly more modern say... the starship troopers model be appropriate here: i.e. you sign up do your time and then the army makes sure you're set up for a comfortable retirement (maybe on a planet you helped win) with additional perks from the civilian government (granted in SOTS the distinction is probably somewhat unclear) be an appropriate analogy? Also what about people who never work for SolForce: the car mechanic, restaurant owner etc. how much freedom do they have?

--Arinn

erm... every time I think life has hardened me to disturbing images... someone goes and proves me wrong... good grief... you have my sympathies... now if I may... I'm just going to go and pour bleach in my ear to try and get rid of those mental images and shut up the scientist part of me that's getting me through my biomed degree which is now pondering those questions. Well so much for nightmare-free sleep I guess...

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:18 pm

Night Warden wrote:

--Arinn

erm... every time I think life has hardened me to disturbing images... someone goes and proves me wrong... good grief... you have my sympathies... now if I may... I'm just going to go and pour bleach in my ear to try and get rid of those mental images and shut up the scientist part of me that's getting me through my biomed degree which is now pondering those questions. Well so much for nightmare-free sleep I guess...

At least you're not the artist who, while searching for the references to draw this, http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/176/c/0/example_morrigi_trader_by_ludomercier-d54u1lk.jpg, happened to fall on -very- disturbing picture of obese female morrigis :|

I may have wished to have bleach on hand to directly pour into my eyes at the time. Sadly, I did not have any on hand.

fibio

Post by fibio » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:29 pm

You do realise that's a pillow, right?
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:50 pm

fibio wrote:You do realise that's a pillow, right?

Read his post again. That's not the picture he's talking about.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:28 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:
fibio wrote:You do realise that's a pillow, right?

Read his post again. That's not the picture he's talking about.

And trust me, you do not want me to link the one I was talking about. But, long story told short.... some furries are actually very nice person. Some other furries can be outright disturbing however and their artwork even moreso.

Seriously, one has to almost be careful when searching refferences to draw "animal folks" type races because sometimes you have no ideas what you can fall upon :|

fibio

Post by fibio » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:34 pm

Ah my mistake, read that in a bit of a rush.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

Sayeth

Post by Sayeth » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:27 am

True enough Ludovsky, I cannot blame people for having a deep hatred for furry art when my feed always contains a lot of WTF inducing images. Being the sort of person I am, I just pass on with "meh" and shake my head but it is hard to show the good side of fandom to people when they already have a lot of prejudices. For example the very avatar picture I am currently using has been drawn by a furry artist as a gift for me.

To get back on topic, I may have a very odd question to Erinys but how exactly is SolForce reporting the family members of a deceased soldier/crewman that died in active duty? Are they sending someone to tell them in person much like police is doing today? Are they sending letters? What is usually being said/written in such a letter?
"Life doesn't exist anywhere but Earth?"
That's like taking a cup of ocean water and saying there aren't any whales in the ocean.

ForceUser

Post by ForceUser » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:18 am

Hi Erinys

I was unsure where to ask this but figured since it wasn't gameplay related I'd ask in the Lore section.

My question relates to planetary landings by the various classes and types and sizes of the various ships in the SolForce fleet. How normal/regular is it for destroyers/cruisers/dreadnoughts to actually make planetary landings even in emergencies or even normal operations. I know in SotS1 colony ships, both destoryers and cruisers were landed and dismantled during the colonization process but other than that I'm not even sure if colony cruisers in SotS2 'land' or if the people and materials is transported off via shuttles, especially with the introduction of staitons it can be assumed most traffic go through them and/or shuttles. So basically how often do ships from say police cutters up to flagship sized Dreadnoughts land on planets from routine landings to emergency landings?

Thanks!
Perspective Man: Much like common sense, it's so rare it's a gorram superpower.
Agent.nihilist wrote:Ooo! Whats the gesture for ramming!?
Korgan wrote:probably a pelvic thrust
Mecron wrote:oy that is wrong at so many levels...well done! :P

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:16 pm

If i recall correctly, Morrigi cruisers are the only cruiser sized ships capable of planetary landings due to their advanced engine tech and cultural leanings. Dreadnoughts and Leviathans are universally only cabale of a single touchdown.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Genth

Post by Genth » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:24 am

Question!

Does SolForce/Civilians have jetpacks?

If not, do people still ask when they're getting their jetpacks?

On a more serious note, do humans still write/think about the 'Future' in the same way we do? Sci-fi as a genre hasn't exactly been around since the stone age, and I'm wondering if writing about future worlds has gone out of fashion..

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Post by Eleahen » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:08 pm

Genth wrote:Does SolForce/Civilians have jetpacks?

Yes!
Incident at Avalon.

Other than that it's an interesting question. :)

Return to “The Lore”