FACTION: SOL FORCE

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: FACTION: SOL FORCE

Post by Erinys » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:24 am

Yes, there is always a future. And someone is always speculating about it. ;)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Night Warden

The luck of the Pioneer

Post by Night Warden » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:37 am

Just out of curiosity, did humanity make any attempt to recover some of the early space probes (yes I have been reading xkcd's what-if? recently) such as the voyager and pioneer probes? On the one hand there's no rational reason to need them, and it would probably be easier to do with a tarkasian warp drive than humanity's node drive... but they could have powerful symbolic value... plus we apes are *good* at doing irrational stuff...

DarkCecilo

Post by DarkCecilo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:15 pm

I was wondering how much last names had changed over the course of their time in space and during the Thaw. Are many last names lost to time? And do people still use middle names or has that gone down?

Oh and I don't mean to sound to demanding about this, but I don't suppose there are any new medals or awards for outstanding service in the SOTSverse? Or are we still using the traditional ones?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: The luck of the Pioneer

Post by Erinys » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:54 am

Night Warden wrote:Just out of curiosity, did humanity make any attempt to recover some of the early space probes (yes I have been reading xkcd's what-if? recently) such as the voyager and pioneer probes? On the one hand there's no rational reason to need them, and it would probably be easier to do with a tarkasian warp drive than humanity's node drive... but they could have powerful symbolic value... plus we apes are *good* at doing irrational stuff...

*cough* If you want your probes back, you're going to have to dig them out of some Morrigi's trophy case, I'm afraid. Anything we're sending into space right now, rest assured some dragon boy is waiting right outside the oort cloud with a catcher's mitt, planning to take it home to his fiancee and get the hot dragon lovin'. ;)

--Arinn

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:11 am

DarkCecilo wrote:I was wondering how much last names had changed over the course of their time in space and during the Thaw. Are many last names lost to time? And do people still use middle names or has that gone down?

Oh and I don't mean to sound to demanding about this, but I don't suppose there are any new medals or awards for outstanding service in the SOTSverse? Or are we still using the traditional ones?

Names: The majority of lost names and family lines would be associated with the Thaw and the Conflagration, actually, which happened long before the Node Age. But there are a whole slew of new surnames associated with the Utilitarian faith and with the Utopian communities that decided to become independent colonists. So you'll see a lot of colonial and fringe types who have Utilitarian names like Liberty, Free, Freebourne, Earthchilde, Newhope, etc....and of course the traditional Utilitarian names like Bentham, Russel, Singer, Stuart-Mill.

Medals and awards: Check the service record of MacKenzie in his biography. Crimson Star and ten additional wound bands, the Terran Cross, five Meritorious Service Medals and the Platinum Star for Extraordinary Valor.

The Crimson Star is also called the Blood Star. Ground Forces troopers call it the Zebra, because they only get the medal once--every additional time they're wounded in combat they just get a "stripe". Some Groundpounders can have as many as twenty bands before they retire.

Terran Cross comes for valor in front line combat, usually in defense of human civilians. It's awarded by the United Consortia for exceptional acts of courage and self-sacrifice in defense of the human race. The Platinum Star is awarded by the Director and the Council of Legates, and its the highest service medal Sol Force offers. Up until 2508, there were only 21 recipients.

--Arinn

Sayeth

Post by Sayeth » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:35 am

Erinys wrote:
Night Warden wrote:Just out of curiosity, did humanity make any attempt to recover some of the early space probes...?
*snip*

*cough* If you want your probes back, you're going to have to dig them out of some Morrigi's trophy case, I'm afraid. Anything we're sending into space right now, rest assured some dragon boy is waiting right outside the oort cloud with a catcher's mitt, planning to take it home to his fiancee and get the hot dragon lovin'. ;)

--Arinn

Hopefully the dragons know how to turn the curious space probes off before they begin their... you know... courtships and stuff :lol:

Erinys wrote:...Terran Cross comes for valor in front line combat, usually in defense of human civilians. It's awarded by the United Consortia for exceptional acts of courage and self-sacrifice in defense of the human race. The Platinum Star is awarded by the Director and the Council of Legates, and its the highest service medal Sol Force offers. Up until 2508, there were only 21 recipients.

--Arinn

Any chance to name a few of these 21 and what they did to earn it? Pretty please :angel:
"Life doesn't exist anywhere but Earth?"
That's like taking a cup of ocean water and saying there aren't any whales in the ocean.

DarkCecilo

Post by DarkCecilo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:33 pm

Erinys wrote:
DarkCecilo wrote:I was wondering how much last names had changed over the course of their time in space and during the Thaw. Are many last names lost to time? And do people still use middle names or has that gone down?

Names: The majority of lost names and family lines would be associated with the Thaw and the Conflagration, actually, which happened long before the Node Age. But there are a whole slew of new surnames associated with the Utilitarian faith and with the Utopian communities that decided to become independent colonists. So you'll see a lot of colonial and fringe types who have Utilitarian names like Liberty, Free, Freebourne, Earthchilde, Newhope, etc....and of course the traditional Utilitarian names like Bentham, Russel, Singer, Stuart-Mill.

Medals and awards: Check the service record of MacKenzie in his biography. Crimson Star and ten additional wound bands, the Terran Cross, five Meritorious Service Medals and the Platinum Star for Extraordinary Valor.

The Crimson Star is also called the Blood Star. Ground Forces troopers call it the Zebra, because they only get the medal once--every additional time they're wounded in combat they just get a "stripe". Some Groundpounders can have as many as twenty bands before they retire.

Terran Cross comes for valor in front line combat, usually in defense of human civilians. It's awarded by the United Consortia for exceptional acts of courage and self-sacrifice in defense of the human race. The Platinum Star is awarded by the Director and the Council of Legates, and its the highest service medal Sol Force offers. Up until 2508, there were only 21 recipients.

--Arinn

Thank you very much.

Night Warden

Post by Night Warden » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:02 pm

Erinys wrote:
Night Warden wrote:Just out of curiosity, did humanity make any attempt to recover some of the early space probes (yes I have been reading xkcd's what-if? recently) such as the voyager and pioneer probes? On the one hand there's no rational reason to need them, and it would probably be easier to do with a tarkasian warp drive than humanity's node drive... but they could have powerful symbolic value... plus we apes are *good* at doing irrational stuff...

--Arinn

Thank you, maybe I ought to start using bioweapons against the morrigi then... it would be a shame to drop an antimatter torp on pioneer 10...

Nall White

Post by Nall White » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Erinys wrote:*cough* If you want your probes back, you're going to have to dig them out of some Morrigi's trophy case, I'm afraid. Anything we're sending into space right now, rest assured some dragon boy is waiting right outside the oort cloud with a catcher's mitt, planning to take it home to his fiancee and get the hot dragon lovin'. ;)

--Arinn

This made me choke on my coffee. :lol:
I'm NOT a cat!

fibio

Post by fibio » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:15 pm

I was wondering why we never found those lost Mars probes.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

John_Sawyer

Post by John_Sawyer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:34 am

Hello all im the new guy who some how played SOTS for years (and read the book) yet never stopped to think if this place exists... so im sorry if this has been answered.

i was reading though the lore and looking at all the humans and noticed that our man MacKenzie got to retire. so that makes me want to ask... did he have kids? I ask because i can imagine it being a family legacy to DEFEND HUMANITY and with how epic Mac was it just seemed in the realm of possabilty :awesome:

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:59 am

Yes, Mac did have one child. She was a fairly well-kept secret during his lifetime, raised under her mother's maiden name, which was Davis. Mac needed to protect her from the brutality of Sol Force politics--things at the Legate Council level and above have a tendency to get stabby.

Once her father retired, there was no reason to conceal his marriage and his daughter, and he went to live with his wife on Isis until his death. His daughter came forward at his funeral, and she and her mother published a brief memoir of their private memories of her father after he passed.

She's a System Defense pilot now. They call her "Flack". If you ask what her real name is, she'll tell you that you haven't earned it. ;)

--Arinn

P.S. Welcome to the forums. :)

Night Warden

Post by Night Warden » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:10 pm

Erinys wrote:Yes, Mac did have one child. She was a fairly well-kept secret during his lifetime, raised under her mother's maiden name, which was Davis. Mac needed to protect her from the brutality of Sol Force politics--things at the Legate Council level and above have a tendency to get stabby.

Once her father retired, there was no reason to conceal his marriage and his daughter, and he went to live with his wife on Isis until his death. His daughter came forward at his funeral, and she and her mother published a brief memoir of their private memories of her father after he passed.

She's a System Defense pilot now. They call her "Flack". If you ask what her real name is, she'll tell you that you haven't earned it. ;)

--Arinn

Sounds like someone destinied for interesting things... I'm kind of hoping we'll get to see her and Cai Rui working together, could make an interesting team(admittedly possibly in the sense Wash uses the term in Serenity).

Also sorry Erinys I have more questions if you don't mind...

In one of the loading screens an unnamed Sol Force marine calls the Brawl Suit the "ultimate equalizer", how effective is it as an equalizer in fact? could a brawl suited marine go toe to toe with a Hiver Prince? or a changed tarka? (that is with a reasonable chance of success... I mean... I could go toe to toe with a changed tarka, it would just be very short and I wouldn't be *buried* so much as *redecorated over*)

Also how common is the brawl suit? I assume not every soldier wears one (there's a picture somewhere... maybe in the Tarka thread, of humans wearing what looks not unlike modern body armour), is it restricted to marines? to a subset of marines?

FInally (for now :angel: ) I got thinking about the replicants technology and the "problems integrating" that they have, how does this manifest? a higher than normal level of psychiatric disorders? Or is it simply the inevitable results of speed growth tech leaving clones with relatively less life experience compared with a standard human of comparative age?

The other thing I wondered is how much of a security issue does the replicant tech create? could a replicant be grown and/or surgically modified to look like a specific person? Would it be possible to do this from an easily obtainable DNA sample to fool most scanning tech (ok, fingerprints present an issue, being as far as we know the results of chaotic processes but I imagine false fingerprints would be well within SOTS tech).

John_Sawyer

Post by John_Sawyer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:02 am

Erinys wrote:Yes, Mac did have one child. She was a fairly well-kept secret during his lifetime, raised under her mother's maiden name, which was Davis. Mac needed to protect her from the brutality of Sol Force politics--things at the Legate Council level and above have a tendency to get stabby.

--Arinn

well thats one sub-plot im going to watch if Mac was any indication any thing concerning his family should be...... interesting to say the least

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Erinys wrote:

--Arinn

... I now need to find a way to draw this.

Return to “The Lore”