FACTION: SOL FORCE

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Night Warden

Re: FACTION: SOL FORCE

Post by Night Warden » Wed May 14, 2014 10:17 pm

I've just been bouncing around the forums catching up a bit (I had to stop coming here for a bit... (I had no money and it was too tempting to throw what little was paying for food at you guys for the GP kickstarter...) and I just found the picture of the former solforce director's daughter and that got me thinking about solforce postings specifically where does solforce stand on posting people? I can see that there's probably a fairly heavy element of going where warm bodies are needed but does Solforce have any policies on posting people to their home systems and such?

I can see arguments either way really... on the one hand people are liable to fight harder when family and friends are on the line and its hard to stop people putting down roots if they're going to be in system for decades... but on the other hand something like the Xombie plague I suppose means on occasion you might want to put the hammer down on a planetary populace or in the event of a planetary revolution, both of which could cause loyalty issues, Could I pull the trigger on an orbital bombardment that might kill my parents, or a sibling? I don't think I could, even in a zombie outbreak scenario I'm not one hundred percent convinced I could pull the trigger on a relative even if it meant my death... I seriously hope I never have to find out on that...

Ooh... that got me thinking about question 2: The Pit takes place against a background of an Xombie outbreak on a frontier world... disregarding deliberate infection by biological warfare (i.e. all the stuff we get up to in games because I want to get the pioneer probes back from whichever morrigi nicked the thing and AM torps might damage the probes :D) how common are such outbreaks and have they ever affected any major worlds?

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:42 pm

I want to do a full-sized Solforce cruiser as a Space Engineers project.

Anyone know the rough dimensions of a standard cruiser? I saw an old picture that said 90 meters, but that looked like it was made for Sots1. How would a Sots2 ship compare? And roughly how tall/wide?

I think I might just have to take this image: http://media.moddb.com/images/games/1/1 ... sier_0.png
and overlay a grid on it to see how many cubes I want each direction to go, etc.

Thanks!

Seonid

Post by Seonid » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:29 pm

Mantonization

Post by Mantonization » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:33 pm

What's the official SolForce position on humans living in alien empires - both those who just happened to be on the wrong side of the border when the lines were drawn, and those who emigrated willingly.

And what's the unofficial one? And the one of the 'man in the street'?

Is it mostly a case of "A bit weird, but whatever"? Or more a case of someone walking down certain street wearing Morrigi/Tarka/Hiver-style fashion is likely to be beaten up?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:29 pm

Depends on the time period and the empire.

There were some humans who were on the wrong side of imperial borders when the Treaty of 2436 was signed. They are primarily citizens of the Tarkasian empire, as at least one fairly well-established human colony world was returned to the Tarkas by treaty, and the humans who chose to remain became (somewhat second-class) citizens. That being said, there are also many humans who live abroad for reasons of work and study, and who have paperwork to allow them to legally remain as permanent residents and exercise some legal rights in the Hiver Imperium, the Liir-Zuul Alliance, the Morrigi Confederation, or even the Loa Cascade. Generally they reside on stations in those empires, as their environmental and dietary needs are easiest to meet in a controlled environment--there can be entire sections of any given diplomatic or civilian station which are dedicated to providing the right mix of gases, the right temperatures and the right nutritional items for Human health and comfort.

There are also many, many humans who live in Freeholds, outside the jurisdiction of ANY empire. The mix of peoples, cultures and values among the Freeholds is very wild and ungoverned. Some Freeholds are multi-species and proudly multi-cultural in their ethos--others are very restrictive, and far more xenophobic than Sol Force is, allowing no resident aliens and few alien visitors.

Humans who live under Sol Force jurisdiction tend to be tolerant all other Humans, regardless of their origins. They also tend to be fairly tolerant of Hivers and Tarkas, provided that they aren't currently or too recently at war with the Imperium or the Tarkasian Empire.

The major prejudice of Humans living in Sol Force chartered space is not against travelers or even aliens, but against Psions of any race--including their own. Liir are met with wary tolerance, as a rule, although the mood against them can turn quickly if they use their abilities too openly in public. Morrigi receive a combination of loathing, distrust and fascination--people are interested in what they can do and what they have to offer, but many people are afraid of being overpowered by their abilities and betrayed by their emotions.

Zuu...are openly hated and feared, regardless of whether they are Prester or Horde Zuul.

Although Sol Force does not officially allow discrimination against human Psions, there are heavy prejudices against those with mental abilities beyond the norm, and many of those who have served as military psions find that their retirement poses serious problems with social integration. Even during their active service, psions who have been openly identified as such often find that non-psionic peers in the military find them disturbing and choose not to befriend them or mingle with them socially. If their status as psions is revealed on the home front, their civilian families can find themselves met with hostility and shunned, sometimes even targeted for harassment and persecution. Their children and younger siblings are bullied in school, their kin can lose jobs or be evicted from housing, etc.--the whole nine yards of "we don't like you and want you to go away".

For this reason, many psions try to leave the empire upon retirement, and will live abroad or find a home among the Freeholds if they can.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

joestej

Post by joestej » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:13 pm

I also have a question, as long as our Lore Goddess is in this neck of the virtual woods.

How many Legators are in the Legate Council, and what general branches do they oversee? Obviously there is a Ground Forces Legate (Mac's old job, if I recall correctly) and Space Forces Legate by extension, but what others are there? R&D? Construction? Intelligence? Are new Legators added and removed as SolForce develops?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:47 am

In the Winter Wars era, you have Ground Forces, Vac Forces, Civilian Affairs, R&D, Intelligence, Special Forces, and the Diplomatic Corps.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

joestej

Post by joestej » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks! I appreciate the additional information. So Special Forces have their own Legate? I would have thought they would be folded into Ground/Vac Forces, though it occurs to me that 'Special Forces' in this context may not necessarily mean commandos and other military special forces.

I'd also like to apologize for using 'Legators' in my previous post. Upon further research, the correct term is Legate/Legates (or Legatus if you really like your original Roman ranks). Legator is a 17th century word for one who leaves a will, apparently. Whoops... :oops:

Then again, if you're on the Council, you'd better have your will filled out. It's my understanding that the job comes with a bullseye attached.

Vasir

Post by Vasir » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:54 am

Special Forces? I wonder what falls under them. Anyway, I'm having trouble finding information of the coup that killed the second director. Did she do something wrong or was this a power play? And I'm assuming McKenzie rose to power cause he was the most popular one.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:32 am

Humanity was getting over-extended in the constant wars against the Hivers and Tarka, and Falke had lost a lot of her supporters fighting the ultimately inconclusive battle at Durendal's Drift. People were increasingly beginning to believe that the Hivers and Tarka could and should be reasoned with, rather than warred against, now that humanity no longer had all its eggs in one vulnerable basket. However, Ashilde Falke remained a firm proponent of the wars of human expansion. It was time for a change. Due to his personal experience allying with individual Hivers and Tarka to achieve a common goal, and therefore to his personal connections to their empires' political leaders, MacKenzie was the best person to lead the way into the future that would see the negotiation of the Pax Quarto.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Vasir

Post by Vasir » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:40 am

Thank you, sir :D

Return to “The Lore”