FACTION: SOL FORCE

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: FACTION: SOL FORCE

Post by Erinys » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:22 am

Saiphas wrote:Finally how did they target the hivers with this weapons as most of current gen nukes are more designed against fixed targets and not able to combensate for a moving target very well? Sorry if this is a bit minutia and if I need to suspend disbelief I will but its been bugging me for a year or two (since I purchased the game).

The Hiver First Contact took place in 2408. The current year is 2011. Between those two points, there were multiple nuclear weapons exchanges which were quite lively. The technology in place was not that of the 1960's and 1970's.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

Post by COL Tatticky » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:53 pm

36 hours sounds like the right amount of time it would take to get that retaliation ready. Call it 1 hour lost in shock, 6 to assemble the engineers who spend 18 hours jurry-rigging the bombs to blow in space, 10 to get them in position with the last 1 spent waiting for everyone to catch up for a synchronized launch.
Adeptus Astronomica assesment: Psyker, Grade Beta
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:00 am

I enjoy the reactivating the nuclear ICBMs to defeat the Hivers :). I have a question about a related detail. Since there are already non-nuclear anti-satellite missiles today, did humanity have any of those in the future during the Hiver attack, did the humans fire them at the Hivers and hope they would do some damage (ex: break a turret with a lucky hit), and what happened?
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

Post by COL Tatticky » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:46 am

What happened was chaos, and all of humanity was too busy to even check to see what kind of damage they did.

Frankly, the small details get lost in the fighting, especially in cases where nobody is left alive to give an after-action report.

The questions you ask could only be answered with speculation of those who weren't actually there... So, your guess is as good as anyone's.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

Saiphas

Post by Saiphas » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:14 am

Thanks for the response Arinn! I also was wondering what effects the intervening years have had on Sol Force as a whole and the Consortia governments as well. I understand that the destruction of the Nova Maria and the Hiver assault essentially placed an emphasis on Sol Force but I was wondering if the consortia even exist now or have morphed into a more federal type of system (that is to say more in the early 19th century american form of the federal system rather than the late 20th)? Also iirc the Vac forces draw alot of inspiration from the british royal navy but I was wondering if it was also influenced by other naval traditions (the US and japanese for instance)?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:35 am

Primary influences on Sol Force as a naval power are British and Chinese. The Consortia do exist, but they are primarily relevant on Terra.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Re: Re: FACTION: SOL FORCE

Post by zanzibar196 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:23 am

Erinys wrote:Primary influences on Sol Force as a naval power are British and Chinese. The Consortia do exist, but they are primarily relevant on Terra.

--Arinn

No canadian influence, eh? :(

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Cpt. Awesome

Re: Re: FACTION: SOL FORCE

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:56 am

zanzibar196 wrote:No canadian influence, eh? :(

Well how much influence does Canada have in modern day? Extrapolate a few hundred years and I believe you wouldn't see too much a difference in influence without a very good reason for it.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:58 am

bsides...canadian navy tradition is british navy tradition...and that question was alread asked.

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:09 am

Mecron wrote:bsides...canadian navy tradition is british navy tradition...and that question was alread asked.

In 400 years, it could become north american tradition... all depends on how things go... ;)

gunnyfreak

Post by gunnyfreak » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:04 am

1, so where did USA go?
2, does that mean we're gonna have Chinese ship names in sol force? (s.f.s bei jing, s.f.s sheng yang and the like?) I'd love that as I am from china :mrgreen:

Bluehaze

Post by Bluehaze » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:42 am

USA have british naval tradition at the modern day already and I think the first human ship lost in the Zuul War was the Sfs Nanjing so there you go :D

cameron112497

Post by cameron112497 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:04 am

I wonder how naming protocols go? After awhile you start running out of cities...

Mika

Post by Mika » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:23 am

cameron112497 wrote:I wonder how naming protocols go? After awhile you start running out of cities...

Well, that's one reason to keep colonising new worlds and building new cities. :bangdesk:
Michael, speaking for Boskone

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

Post by COL Tatticky » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:21 am

cameron112497 wrote:I wonder how naming protocols go? After awhile you start running out of cities...

Reuse the old names. There have been several "Enterprise"s over the years...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

Return to “The Lore”