The Deacon's Tale

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: The Deacon's Tale

Post by Erinys » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:57 am

Hmmm. Well, I was not under any external pressure to make the book shorter or less detailed. It's always a bit of a balancing act to include enough detail to make a book sensible and interesting, but not so much that it gets bogged down and drags. A few people have complained that the book was too fast, but too fast is much better than too slow where books are concerned, so obviously I am happy that no one was bored! I guess I'll just have to see if I can make the next one better. :)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:31 pm

I should be careful what I ask for. I was up late enough with this one as it was.

Spoiler: The thing that really confused me was Lan apparently betraying the mission, but then fighting for it once the Zuul showed up. It went from Cai hating the plan to him waking up and all the crew asleep. I got lost in there somewhere.
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 am

Just thought I would post a quick note to let people who own the book for the Kindle know that I have been signed up to provide a Kindlegraph, for those who like their books (even their ebooks!) personally signed.

http://www.kindlegraph.com/authors/Erinys

Also, there is a free give-away of ten copies of the printed version of the novel on Goodreads right now, so if anyone has a hankering from a free signed print copy, you can enter your name for one of the 10 free copies being given away. :)

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

kazi

Post by kazi » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:27 am

Read the entire thing start to finish over the last day or so. Thought I would post my thoughts on the book while I wait for the next patch...

It was a decent read, ended rather quickly though. I feel like you could have added a lot more to the midsection of the book (the conspiracy was uncovered far too quickly for my tastes). The political maneuvering and posturing was by far the best part. My favorite scene was when Cai Rui was talking to the Director- that was quite well done. The sections describing relations between the various species were also fantastic. I could also tell which chapters you enjoyed writing more than others- some parts seem to have been fast-forwarded while others dragged on for quite some time. There were a few cheesy bits, but all in all, the book was easily worth the money. If anyone is looking for several hours of entertainment, I recommend picking up the book. It also has made the whole SOTS universe seem a bit more substantial- I feel like SOTS2 has suddenly become an interactive novel of sorts for some reason (or maybe I'm crazy).

As a side note, I'm rather surprised organized religion managed to survive into the 25th century... and please, less Latin next time (it is only cool in small quantities).

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:43 pm

except for the fact its one of the major languages in the sotsverse and all ;)

kazi

Post by kazi » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:24 pm

touche.

Still, I find it hard to read when a large portion of the text is in another language. :(

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:19 pm

kazi wrote:touche.

Still, I find it hard to read when a large portion of the text is in another language. :(

In fairness, it really isn't a large portion of the text. But since there were a few lines of Latin, and a few words of the languages spoken by non-human species as well, the appendices do translate everything: Latin, Tarka, Hiver, Liir and Zuul, including the personal names of characters and the names of ships, etc.. :)

--Arinn

Bluepants

Post by Bluepants » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:26 pm

In reply to Kazi: I always thought that organized religion has been one of the more successful tools in the history of mankind for steering large numbers of a population along more or less the same path. It may not be the most humane and free-thinking society, but dang, you get stuff done.

I bought the e-book yesterday and am a few chapters in. Last night I had to put it aside, it's easy to keep reading but there is so much information and emotion and I don't want to skim over the subtleties because my concentration runs out. The next chapter gets its turn once I've properly digested all the bits and pieces :omnomnom:. Having to dig deep for what's left of my Latin doesn't help :roll: , but I love it. It's like the Chinese spoken bits in Firefly, as in, coming across as a natural tendency from someone being fluently bilingual.

edit: now I forgot what I came here for :oops: . Thank you Erinys for your mysterious unlimited supply of awesome from which you have conjured this universe to forget ourselves in :sots1: .

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:29 pm

You're welcome Bluepants, and thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying the novel, and I hope you enjoy the next one. :)

--Arinn

Shadow
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Shadow » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:53 pm

282 pages
Dennis J. Greene
aka
Shadow
SFCShadow (on Paradox Forum)

gaping_maw

Post by gaping_maw » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:39 am

Woohoo, it's on Kobo, so I can finally pick up a copy :)

Kindle don't seem to like selling to those of us outside the USA.

edit: omg, didn't see the Kobo version is a pdf that requires adobe digital editions. great way to kill my initial joy. Why are publishers still inserting their unwanted selves between paying customers and the goods they have paid for?
Activision is the Devil. Oh wait, it is 2013 and I don't have a current Devil assigned yet...

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:32 am

gaping_maw wrote:Woohoo, it's on Kobo, so I can finally pick up a copy :)

Kindle don't seem to like selling to those of us outside the USA.

edit: omg, didn't see the Kobo version is a pdf that requires adobe digital editions. great way to kill my initial joy. Why are publishers still inserting their unwanted selves between paying customers and the goods they have paid for?

That's actually a distributor decision. The publisher sells all files DRM-free. If you need an .epub, .pdf or .mobi and can pay by Paypal, just send an email to kthonia@gmail.com and they'll email it to you. :)

--Arinn

gaping_maw

Post by gaping_maw » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:10 am

Thanks for the info. I have already paid unfortunately, and omg the pdf adobe editions version formats terribly on my ereader :( . May have to read this one on the laptop instead.

Distributor eh? Why is there even a distributor in this modern age of epub goodness?

edit: this is not having a go, I just don't understand why the middle men even exist these days....
Activision is the Devil. Oh wait, it is 2013 and I don't have a current Devil assigned yet...

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:00 pm

gaping_maw wrote:Thanks for the info. I have already paid unfortunately, and omg the pdf adobe editions version formats terribly on my ereader :( . May have to read this one on the laptop instead.

Distributor eh? Why is there even a distributor in this modern age of epub goodness?

edit: this is not having a go, I just don't understand why the middle men even exist these days....

Thanks for the feedback, maw. Send me a pm, if you don't mind, and I will get this sorted for you.

--Arinn

gaping_maw

Post by gaping_maw » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:54 pm

PM Sent.

Looks like the problem has been resolved. Many thanks!

Return to “The Lore”