Silver Empire location

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Tarrak

Silver Empire location

Post by Tarrak » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:45 am

No, not where it is now. :P

Rather where it used to be. I was thinking that the loss of so many habitable, and apparently several very good planets so close to Kao'Kona (given the speed with which the empire expanded), would have limited the current ability to expand in some ways. Yes, I know it took the Tarkas quite a while to get a new empire rolling again, but does that mean Kao'Kona now has a ring of empty space around it (talking about worthwhile systems for colonizing), or was the Silver Empire expansion merely in a more limited direction? So basically was the Silver Empire colonies a dense collection of really good planets for Tarkas, or more like the odd system here and there in a more chaotic spread?

If it was the former then one begins to wonder... A cluster of really good planets/systems, they all vanish after serious expansion into them. Somebody out there lobs asteroids at us when our expansions piss them off, and the Proteans terraform and biodiversify planets (which could theoretically lead to clusters of exceptionally good planets over time if the climate hazard is close, which it could have been for the Silver Empire).
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

erdrik

Re: Silver Empire location

Post by erdrik » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:51 am

What ever ended the SI did so in a manner that cut all communication simultaneously.
IIRC, even in transit vessel comms were cut.
I don't think chucking asteroids, even well timed ones, at colonies can acheive that...

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:13 am

I know the systems don't exist anymore, at least not in our universe/dimension/reality. I didn't intend to imply that they merely got bombarded. What I meant was that this 'infestation' was too great to simply bombard away and a major cleansing had to be done.
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

Bluepants

Post by Bluepants » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:54 pm

I'm fairly certain the original homeworld of the Tarkans was among the systems that vanished. Kao Kona became the capitol world after the end of the Silver Age. So wherever the region of space was that had those systems in it (if the space itself is even there anymore), it's probably not in a ring around Kao Kona.

From the way Erinys talks about it I always get the feeling that it wasn't so much the planets that vanished but just a big part of space that -WOP-, wasn't there anymore.

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Post by Eleahen » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Tarrak wrote:I know the systems don't exist anymore, at least not in our universe/dimension/reality. I didn't intend to imply that they merely got bombarded. What I meant was that this 'infestation' was too great to simply bombard away and a major cleansing had to be done.

After the event the star charts were wrong - old stars weren't there anymore.

Bluepants wrote:I'm fairly certain the original homeworld of the Tarkans was among the systems that vanished. Kao Kona became the capitol world after the end of the Silver Age. So wherever the region of space was that had those systems in it (if the space itself is even there anymore), it's probably not in a ring around Kao Kona.

AFAIR it was the original homeworld that remained - space exploration and colonization had happened in a spheric fashion.
Then all of it just vanished. Only the old capital survived the calamity - untouched like in the eye of the storm.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:22 pm

Bluepants wrote:I'm fairly certain the original homeworld of the Tarkans was among the systems that vanished. Kao Kona became the capitol world after the end of the Silver Age. So wherever the region of space was that had those systems in it (if the space itself is even there anymore), it's probably not in a ring around Kao Kona.

From the way Erinys talks about it I always get the feeling that it wasn't so much the planets that vanished but just a big part of space that -WOP-, wasn't there anymore.

Kao Kona is the Tarka homeworld. The capital of the Silver Empire vanished, but was not their homeworld.
A capitol is a building for legislatures to meet in.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Post by Eleahen » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:58 pm

edit: nevermind

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:17 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:

Kao Kona is the Tarka homeworld. The capital of the Silver Empire vanished, but was not their homeworld.
A capitol is a building for legislatures to meet in.

Yup, I believe Sara Jadok moved the capital to a sort of superplanet, a perfect place to rule en empire from (and was eventually buried there). But the homeworld was and remains Kao Kona.

Naja
Doomsayer

Post by Naja » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:41 am

I forget: was Sparky ruled out as a cause for the disappearance of SI systems?

vaccum_pony

Post by vaccum_pony » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:00 am

What happens if an active Gate ship is encased in a warp bubble? Or the other way around, what happens if a Warp bubble is sent through a Gate? Would the Meniscus be capable of supporting such a topology? If not, could there be harsh consequences in Space|Time? Like perhaps several star systems being ripped out of Space|Time and dropped somewhere else?
What would a Meniscus singularity look like?

My guess is that we might learn the answers to these questions (or similar questions at least) in SotS ]|[.
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:21 am

Naja wrote:I forget: was Sparky ruled out as a cause for the disappearance of SI systems?

Can Sparky cut communications from colonies and ships across multiple systems?

...yes, he was ruled out.

Thamuzz

Post by Thamuzz » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:43 pm

vaccum_pony wrote:What happens if an active Gate ship is encased in a warp bubble? Or the other way around, what happens if a Warp bubble is sent through a Gate? Would the Meniscus be capable of supporting such a topology? If not, could there be harsh consequences in Space|Time? Like perhaps several star systems being ripped out of Space|Time and dropped somewhere else?
What would a Meniscus singularity look like?

My guess is that we might learn the answers to these questions (or similar questions at least) in SotS ]|[.

Your theory as to what happened to the Silver Imperium is that someone shoved a bag of holding in a portable hole.

That. Is. Brilliant.

Korgan

Post by Korgan » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:13 pm

well it has been confirmed to be some sort of space/time event, but that's about all we know for sure. The fact that both drives work on similar principles with the meniscus definitely makes that theory possible. Given that some of the crown jewels were returned we can only assume the Imperium still exists somewhere.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:08 pm

You know, I had a weird thought of sort.

It was said that it was an Hiver of "unknown clan" which brought(if I recall well) "parts" of the jewels. Similarly, both the Silver Imperium and the Hivers Queen disapeared around the same time.

I almost wonder, as at some point I'd wondered if that after such an event, the stranded Hivers and Silver Imperium worlds might not have forged an "alliance of neccessity" or something of the like(similar to Liir/Prester Zuuls, Morrigis Confederation, who are other examples of multiracial factions).

In a fashion, I wonder if as such, it isn't the Silver Imperium/stranded Hivers itself that found a "way back" to the rest of the known sectors.... but decided to keep it's existence secret for some reason, yet sent an unknown hivers from within it's ranks to provide the Imperium back with parts of the crown jewels. Perhaps a way to keep the current Hivers from continuing to look and accidently discover them after all that time.

This is a bit of a far-fetched scenario from me, and granted one might asks if SI/Stranded Hivers' descendants were still kicking around(or even had done that alliance deal in the first place) about why they didn't actually reveal themselves to the universe at large again. Then again, maybe if they'd somehow got wiffs of the Suul'ka(you know, with how Bloodweaver and Siren decided to play aki-ball with the morrigi empire as the ball) they probably wouldn't have wanted to. And there remains the fact that Bloodweaver and the Siren, during their spat with the Morrigis, were only 2 of the 7 Suul'ka supposedly kicking around at different places of the galaxy.

It wouldn't be surprising if the Morrigis weren't the only ones who've had to deal with Suul'kas deciding they were bored and in need of "entertainment". So who knows what the others were up to during these time periods.

Korgan

Post by Korgan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:21 am

It's also possible that the refugee ships we've seen in the past are or were a part of the combined imperium and they were either fleeing from that or something else. Lots of possibilities for many things when we know so little and links between things are hazy at best :)

Return to “The Lore”