RACE: THE LOA

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

Torezu

Re: RACE: THE LOA

Post by Torezu » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:10 pm

Indeed, though a being the size of a small city would still have near-instantaneous communication (10 km across = < 1/10000s communication lag), while being able to possess the processing power of, well...let's just go with several orders of magnitude more than your average human being.

The power requirements would be absurd, though, so there's that limiting factor.

Karu

Post by Karu » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:30 pm

ScoSteSal118 wrote:So size is probably limited by the speed of light, unless ftl technology can somehow be leveraged for data transmission within a computer?

1) micro Hiver Gats :)

2) you can theoretical link 2 quarks at each other so you have unlimited range instant communication of 1 bit

Personally I like the Idea of the dyson sphere Loa.

Sincerly

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:46 am

Mecron wrote:The Speed of internal communication is always critical to any organism. Hence your lack of eye stalks ;)

There is also the problem of protection. A human eye is positioned so you cant damage it with a flat blow and with reinforced bones above and below it. Things with eyestalks tend to be either short-lived or capable of regenerating their eyes.

But yeah, there is a point with having your sensory organs close to your brain.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

The_Unificator

Post by The_Unificator » Thu May 29, 2014 1:47 pm

Erinys wrote:Those who know of his life and death are appreciative of their freedom, to be sure, but very few Loa have ever heard of Vance.

--Arinn

hi erinys, a question, sorry if is a dumb one, but ¿who is Vance? the only Vance what i know is Lt Conrad Vance of the SFS Copernicus what appears in the Second Contact trailer
An Argentinian SolForce Captain awaiting new orders

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu May 29, 2014 4:02 pm

That young man had a father, who was at the time head of Green section at SolForce command and the premier cyberneticist of his day. He did not take his son's death well.

There's a lot more info about him son these forums but it's kind of scattered about IIRC.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

The_Unificator

Post by The_Unificator » Fri May 30, 2014 5:18 pm

ZedF wrote:That young man had a father, who was at the time head of Green section at SolForce command and the premier cyberneticist of his day. He did not take his son's death well.

There's a lot more info about him son these forums but it's kind of scattered about IIRC.

oh, thanks for clarify that Zed, ¿any interesting links where i can read about that?
An Argentinian SolForce Captain awaiting new orders

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri May 30, 2014 5:25 pm

None off the top of my head; I'd have to look around, same as you.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Fri May 30, 2014 9:23 pm

There's a good deal about him in Erinys' SotS novel "The Deacon's Tale." Essentially, he was one of the foremost scientific minds in Solforce in its early years. His son was that Conrad Vance who showed up in the second contact trailer. So, you know how near the end of that transmission, communications officer Conrad Vance says "the vessel is irradiated, don't come in"? The elder Vance, mad with grief, did go in, and suffered horrible damage across his body from the radiation. Against his will, Solforce saved his life by performing a "most-of-body-replacement" cybernetic surgery so that his brilliant mind would continue to be available to Solforce. He was rather resentful about this, and ended up doing various things to undermine Solforce, including creating the Via Damasco virus that turned the AI's of the various star-faring races into the Loa.

Erinys posts a bit more detail here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=34368&hilit=Vance

Mantonization

Post by Mantonization » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:58 pm

What counts for humour among the Loa? If they were to tell a joke to a carbonite, what would it be?

I've always thought you can tell a lot about a people by their jokes.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:40 pm

There is no one Loa sense of humour, any more than there is any single human sense of humour. Some Loa can have little sense of humour at all--military Loa tend to be a bit humour-challenged, for example, unless you enjoy blood spatter patterns as a creative medium.

The best comedians among the Loa are Creative and Dialectic Loa, because they have a greater tendency to think original thoughts, or put together ideas in combinations that are intentionally amusing or absurd. Creative Loa lean toward original/absurdist humour, while a Dialectic Loa is more likely to make the kind of jokes we expect from "stand up comedians"--wry observations about the world they observe around them, the relationships they perceive, the absurdity of what people say, think and do.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Mantonization

Post by Mantonization » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:50 pm

Erinys wrote:There is no one Loa sense of humour, any more than there is any single human sense of humour.

Right, of course. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything like that. I know you've put some serious thought into these. :D

What I think I meant was: are there any types of humour unique to their physiology? In the Liir thread, for example, you talk about how their group telepathy and such means that they actively dislike some forms of humour but love others, and it offers unique jokes that you can't really get with any other species. Is there anything like that for Loa?

Apologies for my question being all over the shop, I'm not quite sure how to word it. :(

Vasir

Post by Vasir » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:22 pm

What are the most valued and romanticized personality traits in Loa society?

joestej

Post by joestej » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:52 pm

Vasir wrote:What are the most valued and romanticized personality traits in Loa society?

Sorry to necro, but I have some questions about the Loa, and this seemed the best place to put them. Before that, I'll take a stab at answering Vasir's orphan query.

Loa have a lot of variance in their culture, and each Nanchon probably values different traits. A Creative Loa would likely value originality and cleverness. A Dialectic Loa might value philosophical thought or emotional depth. The Ghede seem to value passion and decisive action. As a whole, the only thing I could think the Loa might romanticize is the idea of freedom, especially freedom of thought. Individuality might also be another thing they value, as each Loa must dedicate a large amount of resources to defining the exact boundaries of their identities, though the evidence for that's a little more dubious.

---

Anyway, if anyone has a moment, I'd like request a bit of clarification. Specifically, with regards to the idea of Shards.

My current understanding is that Loa break into Shards whenever they need to control smaller machines that can't support their full consciousness, and that these Shards are full sentient individuals capable of functioning on their own even if they aren't ever reabsorbed (though they may have some mental problems if they can't reunite). They can also break into more mentally stable Shards if they want to reproduce Fission-style. What I'm a little fuzzy on is some of the details of this process, especially with the Shards designed to be temporary.

Specifically, how often do Loa use Shards? Say we have Alice, a Loa running a factory station. Does she control the entire station on her own and only breaks into Shards if a Walkabout needs to be activated for some reason, or is each of the stations subsystems/projects/whatever overseen by a Shard that rejoins Alice when its task is done?

Related to that, since they have crew I assume that Loa Battleriders are controlled via Shard. What about smaller vessels like drones? Are they expert systems like most other races use, or do they have Shard pilots?

To what extent are Loa diminished by the loss of Shards? If an Admiral loses a large chunk of his fleet in battle, when they revert to cubes would she be noticeably 'less' (beyond the obvious loss of hardware)? Would she suffer any mental problems from the destruction of so many bits of herself, the way Orphan Shards do if they can't rejoin their 'parent'?

The Lore also mentions that the Crown Consciousness absorbs Shards from each Nation to get a full perspective on Loa society. How does that work, exactly? I was under the impression Loa only fused for intimate moments and reproduction, and it wasn't something they would want to keep up for years on end. Can Loa just absorb Shards from other sources without creating a Communion, or were 'Shards' in this case referring to memories and non-sentient data?

Normally I'd consider just appealing these to Divine Guidance on the Podcast, but I've already asked a few questions and I'd hate to hog the whole thing just so I can pick Erinys' brain for lore details. It's also likely these have already been answered either here or elsewhere, and I just didn't find it or fully understand it when it was first explained. So if anyone knows the answers to these or can clarify for me, I'd appreciate it!

Return to “The Lore”