RACE: THE LOA

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

DarkCecilo

Re: RACE: THE LOA

Post by DarkCecilo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm

So if biological life eventually strives to create Cybernetic life. Does Cybernetic life strive to create something as well? And will that possible creation be treated in the same way. Or could it would be the appropriate question maybe.

Mekan1k

Post by Mekan1k » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:57 am

DarkCecilo wrote:So if biological life eventually strives to create Cybernetic life. Does Cybernetic life strive to create something as well? And will that possible creation be treated in the same way. Or could it would be the appropriate question maybe.

Maybe femto-level life, or PicoLife!
Life occupying smaller-and-smaller vestigules of space-time... An interesting concept...

The_Founder

Post by The_Founder » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Mekan1k wrote:
DarkCecilo wrote:So if biological life eventually strives to create Cybernetic life. Does Cybernetic life strive to create something as well? And will that possible creation be treated in the same way. Or could it would be the appropriate question maybe.

Maybe femto-level life, or PicoLife!
Life occupying smaller-and-smaller vestigules of space-time... An interesting concept...

You mean like Nanomachines?

Hmm, is a nanomachine big enough to house the Core for a Loa? Or could at least a swarm of nanomachines have enough power to house a Loa if it distributes itself among all the micro-cores?
Or is nanotech as "below" Loa in development as bacteria is to carbonites human?

Another idea: Given thier potential imortality (as long as you keep upgradign the core[s]), could it result in Loa effectively following the same Path that the Suul'ka did?
Could the Pupetmaster from Prime be the "Suul'ka-Loa"-equivalent of an now extinct Civilisation?

Regarding the racial Concept:
It is an interesting break form the Usual AI-Rebellion Stuff. I especially like that they are very distinct from what else has been in the Sci-Fi Media Sector lately (Termiantor, New BSG Zylons, Reapers from Mass Effect).

I also like their Ship designs. Those "fins" remidned me of some other design, but I could never quite pinpoint what until recently. The "Aldar" (a classical Progenitor Species) from the mostly unknow game O.R.B had similar (but legally distinct) design:
linked from this Post on anotehr Forum: http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/374296/page/30/#2910923

Of course Aldar were all "Crytalline tech" and Loa are all "Wise Clay/Plug-and-Fry Tech". So that is where the similarities end.

fibio

Post by fibio » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:31 pm

Ah I remember ORB. It tried so hard to be Homeworld and never seemed to manage it.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:08 pm

Erinys wrote:Marinette has the personality of a female Zuul. What she was originally, we will never know.

Both she and Bakulu are technically Wild Loa. Very dangerous, very hostile spirits. They and their descendants practically qualify as demonic forces.

--Arinn

On that note, what in the world are Marinette's thought processes/actions like? All that I could tell from Cai Rui's telepathic contact with one of Deacon's Hand in "Deacon's Tale" is that, whether by nature or due to constant/lifelong/deep/savage abuse and repression, female Zuul seem to be at the level of particularly intelligent animals. Would you care to shed some light on that topic?

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:34 am

On a sidenote, note that I think of it... "Marinette" 's closeness to the french word "Marionette"("puppet") is oddly fitting of an AI supposed to be patterned after a female Zuul's personality, considering the standing of the females within the Suul'ka horde.

Ashbery76

Post by Ashbery76 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:57 pm

The Loa default grey avatar.What mask is that? It looks very different from the rest.

wingren013
Cassandra

Post by wingren013 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Ashbery76 wrote:The Loa default grey avatar.What mask is that? It looks very different from the rest.

I always saw it as a representation of a maskless Loa. Pure and vulnerable. Whether they are choosing the mask or have transcended it is a mystery (no pun intended).
The SOTS2 players guide: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43082&p=482769#p482769
Ultimate Enemy Mod: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 01#p499101
(I like line spacing, parentheses, and inter-sentence punctuation; deal with it)

The_Founder

Post by The_Founder » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:51 pm

Ashbery76 wrote:The Loa default grey avatar.What mask is that? It looks very different from the rest.

The Masks of the Loa serve as a medium of personal expression as well as a summary of self.
Some are extremely crude, even primal. Others can become quite complex.
- End of Flesh manual, page 30

Sounds like this is one of the "Crude" masks.

Belisareus

Post by Belisareus » Sat May 18, 2013 3:40 pm

Hello Erinys,

Yo0u mentioned Mormo and Floros in an earlier post. A search did not offer more information. Can you share with us a bit more about their background?

Also, on another note, are within the Loa any AI that have not originated from the known 5 races?

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat May 18, 2013 10:10 pm

There are a few from unknown (or undisclosed) sources, though we don't know much about them beyond that.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Belisareus

Post by Belisareus » Sun May 19, 2013 7:42 pm

Thanks a lot for the response Azrael.

That is interesting. So potentially some interesting race encounters down the road someone hopes?

Mekan1k

Post by Mekan1k » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:24 am

What veiwpoint would the Loa have in regarding to a species that chose to 'download' from a carbon-based body into a computer core before death, but is incapible of 'leaving' it's core once downloaded?

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:56 am

The only way to do that we're aware of is engramming. For that, see their opinions on engrams.

Though i don't see the point of adding the arbitrary restriction that they can't leave their core.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Mekan1k

Post by Mekan1k » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:58 pm

I was bringing this up because I am writing a story (rather slowly, buts still) and it includes a number of different AI entities.
The Travelers: AI that are human minds, transferred from their bodies as their bodies died
The Sparks: AI that are 'buds' or child AI of the Travelers, or children of other Sparks
and the threat in the story:
The Manticor Virus: a virus that causes AI's to experience violent illusions, similar to a permanent bad acid trip

The Sparks would have a viewpoint similar to that of the Loa, because they were 'born' in their bodies, and can move from container to container, while the Travelers are stuck within a single crystal containment core individually.
I just wanted to see how the Loa would react to their sort of e-life.

Return to “The Lore”