Post by Resok » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:12 pm

Great idea about the Patreon account.

I'll be supporting very soon also.
- Resok

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: The Lore Books

Post by Erinys » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:11 am

Thank, guys. I really appreciate the support, and will post frequently. Small things like poetry or free essays, promotional teasers of Lore for Kerberos games will probably be freely available to all, but I will have to keep some stuff for supporters only, particularly short stories and novels that are not directly related to a product that we're going to release.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Karu

Post by Karu » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:17 pm

Erinys wrote:particularly short stories and novels that are not directly related to a product that we're going to release.

Someone worked to long with mecron and learned to tease ~.~
But I'm looking forward to it :)

Sincerly

Hawawaa

Post by Hawawaa » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:52 am

I will throw more money your way when I can later this month. (more sots lore more money) ;)

Ciurrioc

Post by Ciurrioc » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:20 pm

PDF recieved, makes getting the physical copy all the more awesome. thank you guys, the book is f***ing awesome. :awesome:
Has seen the Cover of the fabled Mecronomicon

"Who's hands shape what is"

Been around since 07...forum ate my account...rip 8/3/13

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:53 pm

Got PDF, and am now taking a break from work.

Cause and effect, and all that. Looking forward to getting the hard copy in the mail! :D

PS: This is just chock full of Sotsverse goodness- from Radiant Frost to "wait until your bones are black, boy" this is great. :insane: I also apparently have to go stare at some skyboxes according to Ken Lee.
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

Nall White

Post by Nall White » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:23 am

Love reading this book. May vacuum seal the original when its gets here.

How to I
Obtain or buy a higher res PDF?
Obtain or buy the artwork, physical or digital?
Is The Pit digital package still available?
I'm NOT a cat!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:22 am

Hmm. Don't think we will release a higher res .pdf or prints. So far as individual high res files or digital bundle files go, the Patreon site seems to work reasonably well for file transfer, so we could offer some material there occasionally for download.

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:00 pm

Received pdf version. Many thanks for the hard work and creativity contained therein. :thumbsup:

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:22 pm

YAY! Thank you! I'm really excited about seeing more original fiction of yours, particularly that Via Damasco proposed novel!

By the way, about the Patreon page, do donations carry over from month to month? That is, if the support level was at half the amount per month that would merit a short story per month, would you produce a short story every two months?

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:26 pm

YAY! Awesome! Thanks!!!

joestej

Post by joestej » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:39 pm

So I got my copy by donating to Clarion West, and downloaded my copy of the Lore Book this morning...

:shock:

For those of you still on the fence or joining us late, I'll give you my review of the book to help you out.

First, the pretty, pretty pictures. Frankly, the art alone was worth the donation cost, even if it wasn't to a really good cause. You have no idea how intimidating the Liir's size can be until you see some of the pictures in their chapter. Damn. Similarly, I never quite understood how radically different various Hivers could be until I saw them all. Some different breeds I hadn't even considered, but make total sense when you stop to think about them. The amount of emotion conveyed was also excellent. The rework of the Hiver Defeat screen was breathtakingly tragic, and several of the sillier images made me laugh out loud. The Loa art was my personal favorite: the masks were amazing, and the shots of Loa at work were just breathtaking. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, and these are some good pictures. Whatever they paid for those, it was worth every cent.

The Lore is...well, if you're actually on this forum, you are probably familiar with the quality of Arinn Dembo's work. The existing Lore is still there, as well as several things that I had never seen before. Again, just having it all in one place is nice, but with the additional content and formatting it becomes amazing. One of the primary draws of SotS, at least for me, was that the races are fully developed species, not just bumpy-forehead aliens in thematic Hats. This fact is obvious in just the first few pages of any of the alien chapters. The evolution of each race, and how this evolution shaped their societies, is well explored. In short, the Lore is fantastic, but that isn't a huge surprise for this franchise.

Behind-The-Scenes stuff isn't usually for me, but for anyone really interested in the world of game development, especially Indie game development, will likely be very pleased with the staff interviews that are included. Kerberos has always been very open about showing the people behind the logo, and hearing their personal stories is a nice way of both showcasing the company as a whole and the work that went into the many SotS games.

Fans of the Pit and Ground Pounders will likely be pleased with their own chapters. Though both games have smaller slices of content than the other chapters, the same excellent art and complex stories are still present, as well as interviews with the developers about both games. I especially liked the Pit's history, and the images of the Pit's entrance and the Valley of Bones.

The one thing that really stood out to me at the end was the effort that obviously went into everything. Not just the book itself, but the Sword of the Star universe in general. It's easy to forget sometimes the amount of blood, sweat, and tears that have been spent not just on developing the games themselves, but also on production and the thousand other unseen tasks required to even see a single release. Dozens of people have poured years of their lives into this franchise. The Lore Book perfectly displays just how much everyone really cared about the games and how hard they all had to work to make them a reality.

In conclusion, I would urge you to go to Arinn's Patreon page and donate, if you haven't already done so. The Lore Book pdf is only $25, and you'd be supporting an excellent writer. Kerberos and Arinn have been more than generous with their Lore Book offers, and I highly doubt there will be another opportunity like this again. You won't be disappointed, I promise. Seriously, why are you still here?

Well, that rant was a bit more emotional than I was anticipating. :oops: If you'll excuse me, I'm going to slink off and go back to lurking now...

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:34 pm

Thanks so much, joestej. I really was trying to incorporate all the Lore and art and still get across how many people have contributed to the universe over the years. That was why we included the full developer credits of all the games in the franchise at the back of the book.

And this book, while it's very big...really doesn't cover the SotSverse in its entirety. We still have a Black Section book coming, and honestly we could do a whole book for the art and lore of Ground Pounders alone. Or books for each imperial race just detailing the Ships of the Line and exploring the stations.

There's lots more work to do, if we can find the support we need. We will keep trying. Thanks for the encouragement, it is appreciated. ^_^

Btw, I love your avatar. :)

--Arinn

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:50 pm

ScoSteSal118 wrote:YAY! Thank you! I'm really excited about seeing more original fiction of yours, particularly that Via Damasco proposed novel!

By the way, about the Patreon page, do donations carry over from month to month? That is, if the support level was at half the amount per month that would merit a short story per month, would you produce a short story every two months?

I switched the campaign to monthly just to avoid having people charged every time I released a piece of content, which seemed kind of unreasonable, because I'd like to release content at least once or twice a week.

The budgets to achieve various goals are just overall goals for the campaigns. They're estimates, based on taking time away from the other odd jobs I have to do to pay my bills.

What I'm expecting is that most people who just want a specific Backer Reward will make a single-month donation, get charged once, and then downgrade their pledge to 5 bucks or something. Which is still great. I realize it's less money than you spend on a fancy coffee at Starbucks, but if enough people buy me a coffee once a month I'll be able to produce a lot of work.

There's also just the fact that the more support and validation my work receives, the better things will be for everyone. It's not just because I'll have the time and resources to devote myself to writing all sorts of stuff, but because when my work is well-supported, I'm more likely to attract agents and publishers, and my games and projects are more likely to receive press coverage and promotion, and to reach more readers/players, etc.. It's a positive feedback loop in a lot of ways, and it'll help me and my team get back on our feet.

Just want to say thanks again to everyone who helps me with this. I really appreciate it. :)

--Arinn

Oneiron

Post by Oneiron » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:58 pm

I may have missed this earlier in thread, but are folks who are getting physical copies of the Lore books also receiving the PDF, or is the digital version intended only for folks who've donated via the Patreon campaign?

Return to “The Lore”