But Loa don't even have fingers!

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse

Moderator: Erinys

EnigmaticDoctor

But Loa don't even have fingers!

Post by EnigmaticDoctor » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:04 pm

I was wondering what number basis the various cultures in the SOTSverse use, which became difficult as I didn't remember how many fingers each race had. Then I remembered that the Liir might not count by tentacles/flippers, and that the Loa don't necessarily even have fingers!

Do the SOTSverse cultures each adopt number systems related to some biological denominator like number of fingers?
And have what's left of Humanity after the Thaw all finally agreed that Metric is sensible the way to go for measurement?

Just as a cherry on top of all of that, have the scientific communities come together to form an interstellar standard for units of measurement for scientific purposes and more easily sharing data?

It is not pronounced, "en-ni-ma(t)-(tic)-doc-tor"

Torezu

Re: But Loa don't even have fingers!

Post by Torezu » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:28 pm

Being electronics-based (or some other higher form of computing, optronics, q-bit, etc), Loa probably use binary or ternary (though the latter is unlikely). I guess decimal would be a possibility for calculation purposes, but it probably wouldn't come naturally to them. They could have absorbed the information from the computer systems of the races they split from, though.

Humans probably use decimal and binary. Tarka (who only seem to have 3 toes, but 5 fingers) and Hiver (obviously 6 limbs) may use heximal (base 6) or decimal, but binary's a possibility. Depending on how long communication has been going on between races, any one of them may have picked up decimal from humans as being more efficient for calculation, and binary for computing, if they didn't use it already.

Zuul, ummm, probably use whatever they pull from other species. My guess is either binary or decimal, or both, depending on need.

Liir, no clue. If we're going with efficiency, binary or decimal.

I would venture that the SI system is almost certainly universally used at this point in SolForce space. It's entirely possible that there's some form of universal scientific or trade exchange system, but by no means guaranteed. I seriously doubt the universe runs on Sol time, for example.

EnigmaticDoctor

Post by EnigmaticDoctor » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:22 pm

I agree with what your saying, except where other races would start to use, specifically, 'decimal' for ease of calculation. I can see how the races might like the idea of a decimal-like system, where the changes in everyorder of magnitude are given by (base)^n, where base is their 'natural' number base. I'm confident that you either meant that, or the 10 part of decimal wasn't so obvious. Or I don't make sense.

I had never even heard of ternary before. Cool. Will have to be amazed by ternary logic of some point. (I was always just the tiniest bit suspicious of the Law of the Excluded middle)

It is not pronounced, "en-ni-ma(t)-(tic)-doc-tor"

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:37 am

Loa can use all number systems with equal facility.

And Tarkas have five fingers AND five toes.

Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Return to “The Lore”