Drive Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Mecron
Kerberos

Drive Technology

Post by Mecron » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:18 pm

Your place to post questions, observations and comments on Star ship drive techs and their tree in Sword of the Stars II.

adecoy95

Re: Drive Technology

Post by adecoy95 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:22 am

if the liir faction is a hybrid of zuul and liir technology, i would imagine their drive system is going to be quite interesting.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:25 pm

They will probably just use the liir drive...

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:00 pm

Indeed...thus freeing the zuul to function as...

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:07 pm

Boarding pods and battle riders?

Would the prior Zuul CP bonus and pack-hunting instincts allow more numerous and better-coordinated riders?
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:25 pm

Mecron wrote:Indeed...thus freeing the zuul to function as...
AlanF5 wrote:Boarding pods and battle riders?

Would the prior Zuul CP bonus and pack-hunting instincts allow more numerous and better-coordinated riders?
Zuul don't need boarding pods, Zuul are boarding pods now!
Well, probably not. Would make Liir/Zuul boarding operations look extra weird, though.

On a more topic related note, will we see any noticeable changes to how some drives work? And will the tree be a bit more expansive than "slow drive", "intermediate drive", "fast drive" and maaaybe one extra tech?
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

DeanHarper

Post by DeanHarper » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:37 pm

I am interested in the potential uses of the Hiver gate network. Naturally there would need to be new techs to increase the gate capacity to accommodate Leviathan sized ships, but technologies that increase the range of the far-caster or grant a gate another special power would be more than welcomed. But what else could a gate possibly do? Maybe the opposite of a far-caster where a gate is only needed at the exit, allowing Hivers a quick retreat. But that isn't terribly original.

And I do hope there will be Dreadnaught sized gate ships.
Who's Awesome? I'm Awesome. How Awesome? Real Awesome. I'm Awesomely Awesome. I'm an A10 on the A5 scale of Awesome. What's that? Here comes the Awesome train off to Awesomeville. Population: Me.

jp161

Post by jp161 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:40 pm

DeanHarper wrote:I am interested in the potential uses of the Hiver gate network. Naturally there would need to be new techs to increase the gate capacity to accommodate Leviathan sized ships, but technologies that increase the range of the far-caster or grant a gate another special power would be more than welcomed. But what else could a gate possibly do? Maybe the opposite of a far-caster where a gate is only needed at the exit, allowing Hivers a quick retreat. But that isn't terribly original.

And I do hope there will be Dreadnaught sized gate ships.

Seeing as the prime gate-size is most likely going to be cruiser now, it seems more than likely that there'll be a DN sized variant. Not to mention some station-fitted gate system.

Though I must admit, having a DE rider which is only supposed to be deployed as a gate kinda interesting :D

DeanHarper

Post by DeanHarper » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:59 pm

Gateship space stations? I like it. Building an armed and armored station above ones colony seems to be a much more reliable method of securing gate travel.
Who's Awesome? I'm Awesome. How Awesome? Real Awesome. I'm Awesomely Awesome. I'm an A10 on the A5 scale of Awesome. What's that? Here comes the Awesome train off to Awesomeville. Population: Me.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:25 pm

yes...but then things cost time and money. :wink:

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:52 pm

I haven't seen it confirmed one way or another yet.

Will the LoW faction use the Tunnel drive?
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Apparently they will use both the Zuul bore drive and the Suul'ka drive system, which is apparently good for stealth and mass deplyoment somehow.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Gwenio

Post by Gwenio » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:01 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:which is apparently good for stealth and mass deplyoment somehow.

Which implies the tunnel drive is better when you do not need those.

adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:48 am

well, considering how badly space effects the liir, i am going to go with "we build the ships, you use them"

Ringsead

Post by Ringsead » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:37 am

adecoy95 wrote:

well, considering how badly space effects the liir, i am going to go with "we build the ships, you use them"
'

That sounds like it is going to end so badly in the end... You are really going to give all the weapons and power to guys who used to be slavers for a living, its a match made in heaven!

On a more on topic note, is the speed of light constant? I know this is generally taken for granted but I have heard some confusion on this, not so much for whether it is passing through something but naturally occurring.
This ship had a name, its name was Robert Paulson...

Return to “The Tech”