Drive Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Azrael Ultima

Re: Drive Technology

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:36 pm

Vacuum light speed is constant. The speed of light in general isn't, it moves at varying speeds through various types of matter.

It's also a "hard enforced" speed limit... it's simply impossible to exceed it just by accelerating, and so far, no one has found any other way to circumvent it either. At least in real life.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:55 am

What about FTL Drive-less ships? will we be able to build ships that don't need to have FTL drives, like dedicated planet guards?

another question will we be able to slap disposable FTL drives on ships and send them on a one way trip (a lot like a Node Missile)?

because I see a lot of ships using FTL drives when they don't even need to move.
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

Gwenio

Post by Gwenio » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:05 am

Setokaiva wrote:What about FTL Drive-less ships? will we be able to build ships that don't need to have FTL drives, like dedicated planet guards?

another question will we be able to slap disposable FTL drives on ships and send them on a one way trip (a lot like a Node Missile)?

because I see a lot of ships using FTL drives when they don't even need to move.

Riders. STL only ships that are carried to other systems by bigger ships that have FTL.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:44 am

There will also be SDBs (system defense boats) that don't even have rider capability. Presumably they are saving cost or space to have even more guns or something, compared to riders.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Ringsead

Post by Ringsead » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:14 am

ZedF wrote:There will also be SDBs (system defense boats) that don't even have rider capability. Presumably they are saving cost or space to have even more guns or something, compared to riders.

I guess they would be like a local militia or police force, I wonder if something spawns them like a base or something.
This ship had a name, its name was Robert Paulson...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:25 am

Pretty sure you build them like any other ship.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Ringsead

Post by Ringsead » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:57 am

ZedF wrote:Pretty sure you build them like any other ship.

True, but I personally am a fan of spawning the minor stuff, police cutters should be modifiable, just produced via building...
Same for trade, an empire at this point would not buy trucks, it would buy companies that buy trucks.
This ship had a name, its name was Robert Paulson...

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:25 pm

I wonder if you buy SDB that can then be used as riders or left to in a system as a SDB, or if you have to buy riders with their carriers as a single purchase, and they are separate from SDBs.

Can you buy a new rider without having to buy a new carrier?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:30 pm

I doubt that SDBs can be used as riders, since that would defeat the point of their being a separate classification for them. Riders can probably be used as system defense ships, as long as they have a source of supply, and I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to build them separately from carriers. Dropping them off in some random system and then moving the carrier away might be possible, but I'd imagine there is some sort of consequence to that if there isn't anywhere around in that system where they can replenish stores. Of course I also recall there being more options for creating bases in other systems besides just colonies and space stations, so you might be able to drop off some riders and a remote base in some system away from your colonies and other more fortified systems.
Zed's TARs (sample):

mattosika

Post by mattosika » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:02 pm

Ringsead wrote:True, but I personally am a fan of spawning the minor stuff, police cutters should be modifiable, just produced via building...
Same for trade, an empire at this point would not buy trucks, it would buy companies that buy trucks.

Unless of course the empire in question places high value on private property and free enterprise. Then the idea of buying companies that buy or make trucks for the empire may be offensive to them.

jp161

Post by jp161 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:23 pm

My guess is that planets (or other places that can be counted as colonies) could keep SDB's and Riders supplied, where carriers and stations could only keep Riders supplied.

I'm actually a bit surprised if riders and SDB's are classified as two different vessel types, or if it's just what we've assumed based on something Mecron has said. As they seem, In my mind at least, to be quite similar in function.

I'm guessing there's still something to this we are not aware of. And it's most likely something that will make us go "D'oh, of course!" when we finally get the game :thumbsup:

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:58 pm

jp161 wrote:My guess is that planets (or other places that can be counted as colonies) could keep SDB's and Riders supplied, where carriers and stations could only keep Riders supplied.

I'm actually a bit surprised if riders and SDB's are classified as two different vessel types, or if it's just what we've assumed based on something Mecron has said. As they seem, In my mind at least, to be quite similar in function.

I'm guessing there's still something to this we are not aware of. And it's most likely something that will make us go "D'oh, of course!" when we finally get the game :thumbsup:

I could see it either way. By analogy to carrier based planes - maybe riders have sspecial equipment for docking to a carrier or their crews require special training. OTOH, it would make sense to have SDBs use the same docking mechanism on their (presumably orbital) bases as carriers.

However it might be that SDBs require a bit more endurance (life support) if they have patrols or missions inside their system lasting weeks or months, if riders are only expected to operate independently for hours or maybe days at a stretch.

Or maybe we will see an option for extended endurance SDBs or more limited endurance versions that would either be cheaper or have more room fir weapons/systems. The long-endurance versions might allow a player more options for deploying them anywhere in the system while limited endurance ones would need to start near a planet/base.

In any case I can't wait to see what the Devs are going to do with in-system things.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:07 pm

jp161 wrote:I'm actually a bit surprised if riders and SDB's are classified as two different vessel types, or if it's just what we've assumed based on something Mecron has said. As they seem, In my mind at least, to be quite similar in function.

Probably, it could well come down to endurance as kdonovan has suggested. Main point being Mec has distinguished between SDBs and riders in the past so there is good reason to think they will be distinguished in-game. :mrgreen:
Zed's TARs (sample):

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:58 pm

SDB's are different from riders. Slightly larger...and for a different purpose.

xRei

Post by xRei » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:32 pm

Huh. interesting concept, these SDB's. So they are a bit larger than a battle-rider.. I'm guessing these are cheaper alternatives for creative a planetary defense than building mobile warships? So you can have some mobile system defense without spending scads of money on FTL-capable ships? Something like that?

Would be nice.. So my worlds can stop being glassed by easy random encounter.. xP
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny The Elder
Roman scholar & scientist (23 AD - 79 AD)

"35- Lavamadness fixed a thing with construction ships showing different thingies."
-Mecron
Comment on fix 35 of the AMoC 1.6.3 patch

Return to “The Tech”