Drive Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Blackwarder

Re: Drive Technology

Post by Blackwarder » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:54 am

Mecron wrote:make another demand like that and you get a rock 8)

Gives us the demo and we will start talking about how absolutely great you guys are instead :mrgreen:
*duck*

Nspace wrote:;)
I can see it now: a siege driver ammo alternate texture that has the word "Warder" on it. Literally a rock with his name on it. :thumbsup:

Now that's cool, although I'm rooting for a great big diamond to add to my bling :D

Warder

amtie

Post by amtie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:30 pm

Hmm I wonder which way I'll get rich faster: wait until the sun dies out and crystallises and mine it minecraft-style or the normal boring way.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:54 pm

Blackwarder wrote:
Nspace wrote:I can see it now: a siege driver ammo alternate texture that has the word "Warder" on it. Literally a rock with his name on it. :thumbsup:

Now that's cool, although I'm rooting for a great big diamond to add to my bling :D

I'm not sure you want to get hit by that thing. :lol:

gunnyfreak

Post by gunnyfreak » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:02 am

"Fact: 4 out of 5 people get crushed by giant diamonds everyday." -- GLADOS

HitodamaKyrie

Post by HitodamaKyrie » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:51 am

I like how my teleport drive idea was sorta right. 8) Though I didn't think it'd be giant evil space whales using their mind powers. But now, in hindsight, I see I should have realized that. :?

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:20 am

Blackwarder wrote:
Mecron wrote:make another demand like that and you get a rock 8)

Gives us the demo and we will start talking about how absolutely great you guys are instead :mrgreen:
*duck*

Nspace wrote:;)
I can see it now: a siege driver ammo alternate texture that has the word "Warder" on it. Literally a rock with his name on it. :thumbsup:

Warder

i now have two questions to ask myself.... spend all my money on video games.. or save up to buy a space ship and mining equipment :o

. . .

AHHH!! Warder!! I cant decide!! :shock:

However this could be interesting I wants to see if there is aliens mining the crap out of it already :thumbsup:

Blackwarder

Post by Blackwarder » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:53 am

Well, probably, if you got the tech to build a spaceship capable of going there (4000 ly) than you almost certainly have thee means to artificially creat diamonds just as big.

Warder

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:57 am

Blackwarder wrote:Well, probably, if you got the tech to build a spaceship capable of going there (4000 ly) than you almost certainly have thee means to artificially creat diamonds just as big.

It's 50 LY away. It's 4,000 km across. Still, you're probably right, though raw materials might be a problem. :D

Robrecht

Post by Robrecht » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:45 am

Since the raw material for Diamonds is Carbon, there's plenty of it around.

In fact making tons of artificial diamonds might well be a solution to at least part of the problem of global warming (in the form of a carbon sink that captures loads of carbon into an efficient package that happens to be pretty to look at).

In fact, in the future, once carbon-plasma to diamond conversion becomes economically feasible, expect both the price of diamonds to plummet (ending the blood diamond era in Africa once and for all) and global warming to become much less of a problem.

And as an added benefit, diamonds burn very well, very efficiently and very cleanly (no harmful contamination, just pure carbon). So in the future you might well bring a sack of diamonds on a camping trip to get your campfire going... And my won't that be a pretty sight (though they also burn so fast and hot that you wouldn't want to omit the wood entirely).

In fact... We can already make artificial diamonds. Out of dead people even.

Disclaimer: Robrecht does not advocate starting campfires with dead people diamonds. Robrecht especially does not advocate cutting out the middle man in that equation.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:09 pm

:bangdesk:

Monthar

Post by Monthar » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:50 pm

Robrecht wrote:Disclaimer: Robrecht does not advocate starting campfires with dead people diamonds. Robrecht especially does not advocate cutting out the middle man in that equation.

Ok, live people it is. Let's start by clearing out all the prisons. Oh and those without a death sentence will get put out just before death, but once they've healed up they're going back into the fire. Now that would be a real deterrent to crime.

Raziel Star

Post by Raziel Star » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Wow, I just read through 5 pages of this thread....brain = !ouch

Anyway I hope this hasn't been asked already.

I've heard that there will be Sub-node lines in systems. I was wondering if the Zuul would be able to make their own sub-node lines. It seems like that would take more finesse then the Zuul have, but it could be useful for 2-3 turns. Maybe facilitate slave grabbing with your smaller ships.

This may be more of a weapon question, but because it's based on a Drive tech I'll ask here. Would it be possible for the Zuul to mount Node Cannon's on 'stationary' structures, like Stations or Asteroids? Maybe make the Asteroid variety a one time trap.

Lord Baal

Post by Lord Baal » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:21 pm

Robrecht wrote:Since the raw material for Diamonds is Carbon, there's plenty of it around.

In fact making tons of artificial diamonds might well be a solution to at least part of the problem of global warming (in the form of a carbon sink that captures loads of carbon into an efficient package that happens to be pretty to look at).

In fact, in the future, once carbon-plasma to diamond conversion becomes economically feasible, expect both the price of diamonds to plummet (ending the blood diamond era in Africa once and for all) and global warming to become much less of a problem.

And as an added benefit, diamonds burn very well, very efficiently and very cleanly (no harmful contamination, just pure carbon). So in the future you might well bring a sack of diamonds on a camping trip to get your campfire going... And my won't that be a pretty sight (though they also burn so fast and hot that you wouldn't want to omit the wood entirely).

In fact... We can already make artificial diamonds. Out of dead people even.

Disclaimer: Robrecht does not advocate starting campfires with dead people diamonds. Robrecht especially does not advocate cutting out the middle man in that equation.

Good joke! You almost had me!
Imagine your own funny quote here.

Will the Great

Post by Will the Great » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:35 pm

This came up in another thread.

Does the functioning of Hiver gates (specifically, anchoring themselves to a specific point on the meniscus) necessitate the existence of a fixed, universal frame of reference?

In other words, in the SotSverse, was Einstein wrong? Are some inertial reference frames more valid than others? Is this how FTL travel is possible without violating causality?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:45 pm

bingobangobongo!

Also conservation of mass/energy is in terms of the "multiverse" as opposed to just the visible spacetime layer.

Return to “The Tech”