Drive Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
kdonovan

Re: Drive Technology

Post by kdonovan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:01 pm

I can see lots of uses for them. Defense against random encounters as you mention but also enemy raiders/scouts,and perhaps in more massive numbers to fortify worlds more cheaply than a mobile fleet. (Especially if you can put them into "reserve" status.) They could also be a valuable deterrent/offensive threat in a shared system. Finally, if the new diplomacy system will feature treaties limiting the number or location of capital ships in border systems/provinces, then they could be a good way to build up your forces defensively (or perhaps offensively in shared worlds) in areas subject to treaty limitations. They might also help a player forced on to the defensive due to a smaller economy remain competitive, at least when defending. They will certainly not be wonder weapons, but sound like an interesting tool in the arsenal.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Drive Technology

Post by ZedF » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:20 pm

I got the distinct impression that Mec's "for a different purpose" meant "for a different purpose", not simply "cheaper." :thumbsup:

Thinking like the difference between a P3-C Orion and a F-18 here... ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:22 pm

mmmmm ok...lets throw this bone out there...SDB's are made availabe through researching "Stealthed Facilities"...does this help? ;)

xRei

Post by xRei » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Very interesting, but.. No, not really. xP

Im not that creative though so maybe someone else will be able to lightbulb on it.
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny The Elder
Roman scholar & scientist (23 AD - 79 AD)

"35- Lavamadness fixed a thing with construction ships showing different thingies."
-Mecron
Comment on fix 35 of the AMoC 1.6.3 patch

fibio

Post by fibio » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:50 pm

I'd say it implies, less a dedicated defense core, but a tactical response squadron hidden in asteroids and moonlets. They'd be more heavily armed and armored than FTL ships as they can keep their crew and supplies off ship and possibly larger than riders as they don't have to be loaded onto carriers. On the other hand there would probably be much like satellites ie, not as useful as mobile ships, but cheaper and possibly more bang for the buck as I imagine fitting a ship with an FTL drive is a good fraction of the cost.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:53 pm

I think it means that SDB's are deployed from hidden garrisons placed throughout a system. B/c they are stealthed (are the ships as well?) the enemy can be in for a rude surprise as they maneuver.

If so, asteroid belts would look much scarier to an attacking fleet. Is that an asteroid or a trojan surprise?
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

evil713

Post by evil713 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:27 am

stealthed facilities makes this sound like a pirate tech. does make we wounder what sort of remote build options there are.

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:33 am

uh no... SBD's are just local defense forces for a system, who are there only to protect a system while your real combat ships with FTL drives are out fighting. Due to having no FTL capability they can't move like your other ships but have optimized design and more space for weapons.
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:35 am

I doubt it has anything to do with pirating... they are named System Defense Boats for a reason, i'd guess.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

evil713

Post by evil713 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:56 pm

Hey some techs have unlocked more than one thing, and it may lead to piracy or spying. Pirates would use the same base building tech.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Drive Technology

Post by ZedF » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:29 pm

Nooooo... we already have privateers and they don't use any kind of base, they are too busy patrolling trade sectors and looking for targets to sit still for any length of time. ;)

And now that we have info about the stealthed bases requirement for SDBs, it makes sense that they wouldn't go intersystem at all. They seem to be more in the line of fixed ambush defenses, like PT boats hiding out in a fjord somewhere.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:43 pm

Actual privateers might be sort of cool. You give a letter of marque to one of your citizens and they outfit a ship at their expense and go raiding your enemies' commerce. It would be a cheap way to get some extra commerce raiding ships. Of course there's always the risk they will turn pirate and go after your own freighters. Not to mention there very existence pisses off your neighbors.

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:04 pm

No, too in-depth... and too low-level. We think in terms of massive fleets commanded by admirals not private citizens or mercenaries.

Also if I remember correctly raiders are 'privateers' because they don't display any colors or symbols of whoever they work for therefore your targets have no way of knowing who sent those ships (unless you're the only race who has those ships in-game at which point it becomes obvious).
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:57 pm

There are random raiders, i.e. pirates, in SotS1, that do not belong to any player.

Even as the only human player you can get attacked by human raiders.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

fibio

Post by fibio » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:41 pm

I think you guys might be massively underestimating the cost of interstellar spaceships, and overestimating the amount of Spanish gold the average Hiver warship is carrying ;)
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

Return to “The Tech”