Drive Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
adecoy95

Re: Drive Technology

Post by adecoy95 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:13 am

Mecron wrote:if you run at grass at 30000 m/s it probably cuts real deep ;)

if your moving at 30000 m/s in earth atmosphere you have bigger things to worry about before you even reach grass :lol:

Remnant

Post by Remnant » Tue May 10, 2011 11:41 pm

evil713 wrote:compared to sots prime, will interstellar drive speeds be the same in sots][ or will we get faster engine upgrades?

Hm, it would be odd if the speed of their drive tech went down as time and tech progressed (except hivers which are at max, and only need more gate-capacity... and perhaps better Farcasters ;) )

Of course assuming the speeds in-game in sots was the fluff-wise correct speeds for the different drives.
"When the going gets tough - the tough hide under the table"

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science"

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Wed May 11, 2011 4:20 am

ahem... Mecron. the speed of light in a vacuum is exactly 299,792,458 m/s (approximately 186,282 miles per second), and the average ship speed remains in double digits for m/s. Just saying.
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

xRei

Post by xRei » Wed May 11, 2011 6:39 am

Setokaiva wrote:ahem... Mecron. the speed of light in a vacuum is exactly 299,792,458 m/s (approximately 186,282 miles per second), and the average ship speed remains in double digits for m/s. Just saying.

Umm.. I'm pretty sure the ship strategic speed is measured in light years per year..
I always assumed tac spac was just an abstracted number...
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny The Elder
Roman scholar & scientist (23 AD - 79 AD)

"35- Lavamadness fixed a thing with construction ships showing different thingies."
-Mecron
Comment on fix 35 of the AMoC 1.6.3 patch

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed May 11, 2011 7:33 am

set...so what you are just saying is that you have no sense of perspective? ;)

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed May 11, 2011 8:20 am

I'm not going to play a game where ships move at hundreds of times their own length in combat, thank you.
Especially not if i have to be able to select them and give them commands.

Some choices are forced by gameplay, even if they collide with the fluff. Overall it is better to make a playable game than an ultra-realistic one.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

LaDoncella

Post by LaDoncella » Wed May 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Well if any space combat game was aiming to be totally realist (lol) it would be ships represented as dots moving at stupid fast speeds shooting each other from stupid long ranges. Not precisely good for eye-candy.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed May 11, 2011 5:00 pm

or enjoyment of any kind ;)

jp161

Post by jp161 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:12 pm

Well, there are masochists and such so.. SOMEONE might enjoy it...

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Wed May 11, 2011 5:19 pm

No I am saying that speeds of 30000 meters per second are impossible with in-system drives, not to mention completely useless -- why would you want to go that fast anyway? if an enemy fleet was traveling at 30000 m/s when they came out of hyperspace they would crash into the planet pretty damn quick.

Also I'm not measuring by ship strategic speed I'm measuring by tactical speed. 30000 m/s doesn't even come close to light speed let alone FTL speed. somewhere between 100 to 600 would be more like it depending on the ship and conditions at hand.

Sorry if I'm nitpicking. Just the way I am sometimes, I guess.
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed May 11, 2011 5:38 pm

Ugh... you really don't have the slightest idea of how huge distances in space are.

At 30.000m/s you'd need 57.7 days to get from Earth to our Sun. And that's for a direct line between Earth and the Sun, which would be a pretty stupid idea.
A Tarka ship coming out of hyperspace at 30km/s would need days just to get to a planet to crash into.
Also, since there is no notable friction, you can reach pretty much any speed below lightspeed as long as you have enough fuel. How strong your drive is is completely irrelevant, that only determines how fast you accelerate.

In-game, they are much slower than that because it wouldn't make for a good game.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Wed May 11, 2011 6:41 pm

Although I do think genuine Newtonian physics, done right, could make for some interesting combat. But you'd have to be more strategic and plan your moves well in advance.

Some kind of guide that shows you what you can do with a given amount of delta-V would, I think, be a requirement. This green line represents where the ship will go in two minutes if we don't use any thrust. This red line represents where we can be at maximum thrust in two minutes. The blue lines represent the orbits we can achieve given our current vector and fuel, etc.
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed May 11, 2011 7:00 pm

wha? snort! Mrph! Sorry. dozed off there towards the end ;)

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Wed May 11, 2011 7:10 pm

Willing to wait half an hour until you contact the first opposing force, but can't wait two minutes once combat starts?
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Wed May 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Gryfalcon wrote:Although I do think genuine Newtonian physics, done right, could make for some interesting combat. But you'd have to be more strategic and plan your moves well in advance.

Yes; I, too, would like a fully realistic space combat sim. But it would be just that, a simulation, not really much of a game. Probably more boring than doing a NY to Tokyo flight in real time on a flight simulator. And the market would likely be so niche as to render it nonexistent from a publisher's or developer studio's view.

Return to “The Tech”