Bio-Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
wolfrider66

Re: Bio-Technology

Post by wolfrider66 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:11 pm

I consistently research Biosphere Preservation and never really gave it much thought. But now that I am a regular player and understand much more of the nuts and bolts of SotSII, I wanted to know in game terms what does preserving 50% of the native biosphere do for a player? For example, I'm not sure if it increases my Faction's Bio Hazard score or somehow maybe reduces the time needed for colonization.
Olwolf
"Make your own luck"

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:02 pm

I believe it effectively reduces the amount of biosphere lost per hazard rating changed via terraforming.

Also with certain governments (Plutocracy) when you overpopulate you'll have biosphere loss per turn which that technology will mitigate.

Treliant

Post by Treliant » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:34 am

If you are planning to go heavily into psionics it might be worth taking so that your ships can "recharge" more effectively (they regain psionic points based on biosphere levels). I believe biosphere is also supposed to factor into taxes from a planet so you get a bit of a bonus.

wolfrider66

Post by wolfrider66 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:00 am

Hey thanks for the great information Resok & Treliant. I knew it had to be some mathematical effect. Also I did not realize that terraforming destroyed biosphere so much as replaced it with something equal as far as the numeric value goes. So knowing that, then a planet can be taken over by competing factions with very different climate hazards only so many times before the planet is "burned out". And knowing biosphere is factored into taxes will help plan my economy to a small degree.

I am in the process of finding fan sites and reading the wiki thoroughly to learn this stuff but the various specific formulas remain elusive so every little bit helps, thanks again!

James
wolfrider66
Olwolf (In game chat)
Olwolf
"Make your own luck"

Ryat

Post by Ryat » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:52 am

wolfrider66 wrote: So knowing that, then a planet can be taken over by competing factions with very different climate hazards only so many times before the planet is "burned out".

And if you are playing Loa, they will completely destroy any and all biosphere. Its their "bio hazard" mark of sorts.
Sins of Solar Empire: Distant Stars http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/335474

wolfrider66

Post by wolfrider66 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:03 am

Ryat wrote:
wolfrider66 wrote: So knowing that, then a planet can be taken over by competing factions with very different climate hazards only so many times before the planet is "burned out".

And if you are playing Loa, they will completely destroy any and all biosphere. Its their "bio hazard" mark of sorts.

Ouch. I have taken over Loa worlds before but didn't pay attention to the Biosphere because I have only recently discovered how important it is, but I can not recall them "completely" wiping out a worlds biosphere. I will certainly be on the lookout now though! Thanks Ryat.

James
wolfrider66
Olwolf (In-game chat)
Olwolf
"Make your own luck"

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:57 am

Biosphere is also the major factor for Suul'ka replenishing their Psionic power (through permanent consumption of said life force). Over time both Zuul and the Suul'ka will render a galaxy devoid of biosphere in many cases.

Return to “The Tech”