Bio-Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Bio-Technology

Post by Mecron » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:41 pm

yes cause in all those examples your scale and absolutness are off by a few orders of magnitude. A better VC analogy is the behaviour of the Morrigi when retreating from a sector ;) And Imperial Japanese biowarfare research was about clearing people out before the advance...notthing about retreating.

And no brog, there is no POV...he was a monster but he didnt cause the famine by making the place unlivable for 10,000 years...as soon as he stopped interferring, people were able to feed themselves and live normally.

Brogatar

Post by Brogatar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:02 pm

I was tempted to say how are Hiroshima and Nagasaki are doing in comparison but they aren't quite the same I still suspect there's similarity in poisoning and how long it will last but I admit I could be wrong.

fibio

Post by fibio » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:08 pm

To be honest the actual effect of radioactivity in those cities was fairly minor over the long-term, but the bombs dropped were small by modern comparison and not designed specifically to make the area unlivable.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:07 am

Hari Seldon wrote:Yeah a space habitat is far cheaper. I love stations!

That brings to mind a question - in prime the Morrigi could build habitat stations at dust balls but had no use there. If they can build space habitats in sots2 will we also see the ability to build other stuff a bit like it was (shifted in concept for sots2) a size 1 planet (but maybe more expensive since all the facilities are in space)?
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

galacticemperorgaret

Post by galacticemperorgaret » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:34 pm

I'm sure that since stations came along later in the prime game they'll be a little more fleshed out now, but only one lion can say for sure. I was just wondering about what was said about "research stations", If everything is researched in space now, wouldn't that majorly reduce the risks of accidental plague or AI outbreak, Cuz space is like Ultra Quarantine.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:28 pm

In case of contagion, break window? :twisted:

Lord Baal

Post by Lord Baal » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:17 pm

Wouldn't be more like in case of contagion toss everything (and everyone) into the nearest fusion based garbage disposal? :evil:

That of course would make researcher a quiet unpopular job. ;)

galacticemperorgaret wrote:Though space nazis is pretty scary to think about!

What about space zombie nazis?!!!
Imagine your own funny quote here.

galacticemperorgaret

Post by galacticemperorgaret » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:45 am

Lord Baal wrote:Wouldn't be more like in case of contagion toss everything (and everyone) into the nearest fusion based garbage disposal? :evil:

That of course would make researcher a quiet unpopular job. ;)

galacticemperorgaret wrote:Though space nazis is pretty scary to think about!

What about space zombie nazis?!!!

Sorry but that last line is already trademarked by the call of duty guys :P . But yeah both your and Mecron's ideas seem pretty valid. The only thing that could spread infections now is if one of those satellites were to crash. Or be shot down! :shock: If only there were some magical thing that made stuff hurtling towards planets burn up, and let stuff breathe too. Ah well, I guess that's just a scientific absurdity :)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:10 am

Watch, or read, the original Andromeda Strain.

galacticemperorgaret

Post by galacticemperorgaret » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:50 am

OK, let's not get into the nitty gritty of atmospheric re-entry in association with the survival of organic life onboard a crashing satellite.I've seen other forums where armchair physicists fight with each other and that gets :shock: . However this is handled I'm sure it'll be a fine and fleshed out mixture of the shiny details and abstracted variables/values that you guys do so well :thumbsup:
P.S. Thx, looks like an interesting movie, and insta view on netflix. Now its on my queue, at #26 :roll:

Mr.Weasel

Post by Mr.Weasel » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:39 pm

Will the biotechnology aspects of the game expand beyond terraforming and bioweapons? Granted I am not entirely sure what that would entail...
The idea of maliciously altering other species on their own colonies is an interesting idea...without the intent to kill them, or bring down the colony I mean.
A wild weasel has appeared.

Kaan'Ish

Post by Kaan'Ish » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:15 pm

Well, off the top of my head, it might have some impact on ground-combat (when that becomes a part of the game). After all, the Hivers already gen-engineer warriors to optimise them for various battlefield tasks. It wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility for other species to also look into biological enhancement programmes.

The other option I can think of right now is something involving gen-engineered agriculture, which might enable you to support larger planetary populations (and possibly reduce upkeep costs/supply run requirements [if these exist] for orbital facilities) without serious environmental degradation (thanks to advanced food production methods, such as high-yield crops, algal cultures, etc)

Jarix

Post by Jarix » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:53 am

Considering just how "evil" I always felt that the assimilation plague must be, I shudder to think what would be the step above that could be.

for the positive end of Bio tech, I assuming that this is where Gaia/gem worlds will come from.

Though I wonder if there would be anything for expanding the max population, like making sub-surface habitation & agriculture. Like the subterranean perk from MoO 2

Lord Baal

Post by Lord Baal » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:56 am

Also on the positive side I guess extended life spans for your people (including your admirals) could lead to quicker population grow and having your characters around a little bit more.
Imagine your own funny quote here.

kknd2

Post by kknd2 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:20 am

Jarix wrote:Considering just how "evil" I always felt that the assimilation plague must be, I shudder to think what would be the step above that could be.

for the positive end of Bio tech, I assuming that this is where Gaia/gem worlds will come from.

Though I wonder if there would be anything for expanding the max population, like making sub-surface habitation & agriculture. Like the subterranean perk from MoO 2

I don't recall learning exactly what that plague did in the first place actually. Which I suppose does not matter, because the name alone is the fuel for nightmares. New Colonizer sections sounds like some fun new bio tech to me, along with enhancing stations and such. Anything that lets my admirals live longer would definitely peak my interest as well. Perhaps some kind of 'Terraform' mission type to bump a planet closer to 0 hazard before you send in the colonists?
The Liir says the glass is half full.
The Hiver says the glass is half empty.
While they argue about it, the Zuul comes along, drinks what's left, and removes all doubt. - KKND2

Return to “The Tech”