Bio-Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Dillweed

Re: Bio-Technology

Post by Dillweed » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Isn't one of the Suul'ka (the one who created the Zuul) supposed to have special bioweapon powers? I shudder to think what that MFer could cook up.

Alumion

Post by Alumion » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:46 am

That would be the Bloodweaver, and considering that his last known project was (what became) the Zuul... Nothing good
Many generations of Great Elders took the pain of enslavement upon themselves and died with it, so that their children could forget. Only one reached the end of his life, reached out into the Black Sea, and heard the cries of pain and the deaths of those that the Suul'ka tortured and destroyed.

Only one decided that he was obligated to fight and to kill, not merely to live gently and die quietly.

Adamfostas

Post by Adamfostas » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:09 pm

A virus more terrifying than space zombies, than converting an entire planet into loyal citizens of your empire; more terrifying than simply covering everyone in pustules and making them die slowly in pain. A virus that laughs at antigens.

How about a virus that gives people incredible empathic/psychic powers, powers that stretch right down to every single cell of their body (including antigens, natch), and simultaneously cause those cells to slowly die? Not only do you experience your own suffering, but that of everyone and everything else on the planet at the same time.

That would be a truly rubbish day.

cameron112497

Post by cameron112497 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:07 pm

I've been thinking, and one of the things that matches mecron's desecription of this new bioweapon is some sort of bioengineered animal species able to survive and move in a vacuum.

Achronus

Post by Achronus » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:21 am

Here's one:

A plague that can be used on planets (even uninhabited) that does the opposite of the nano-plague to Terra-forming?

Plague world come back 10 turns later... Hey look garden world just for me! - No expensive under-development!

Course anybody else can come along and snap-up your 'genesis project' before you do!

cameron112497

Post by cameron112497 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:26 am

My problem with both of those is that they both can have a vaccine. Mecron has said before that Universal Antigen is wishful thinking compared to this. You cant make a vaccine against bite or claw wounds.

levi_Will

Post by levi_Will » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:34 am

An anti-gen inherently implies it has to kill of a germ or a virus. Now what if it isn't a germ or a virus? what if its a memetic? A memetic that gets programmed into the head, causing widecaused anguish. ...It would be like the soft whispering telling you that death is truly the final answer, with no germ associated, just a mental thought and longing.
Mecron wrote:wow levi...you are previewing AND being a sarcasm master at the same time. Double awesome :thumbsup:

Mr.Weasel

Post by Mr.Weasel » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:41 pm

Hmm a memetic thing, that could be interesting. It also has more uses than just making them die. People are useful when not dead sometimes...same goes for space aliens. Also on that note I wonder how the assimilation plague works.

And on the note as an opposite nano-plague terraform thing...what about a special chemical you can bomb a planet with, causing amazing explosions in plant growth, effectively overrunning the societies there who cannot seem to kill them...lowering industrial output dramatically and slowly damaging inferstructure.

Hah silly idea, virus that transforms target race into beasty bio weapon that kills the rest...like a basic Zuul or something. Or just turns target race into your own race, with like a 20% success rate, everyone else lies in mutated anguish. Should also erase memories, or have some kind of 'reprogramming' thing.
A wild weasel has appeared.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:47 pm

Adamfostas wrote:A virus more terrifying than space zombies, than converting an entire planet into loyal citizens of your empire; more terrifying than simply covering everyone in pustules and making them die slowly in pain. A virus that laughs at antigens.

I posit Grey Goo. It eats everything - sentient and non-sentient, plants, minerals, air. It's basically the System Killer, except it leaves the system/planet intact but useless.

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:16 pm

Nano virus is grey goo that conveniently shuts down when it's done. Although it avoids organics - there's not much material in a bag of water to turn into new grey goo.

Jarix

Post by Jarix » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:54 am

Why does this plant bomb remind me of the gooey kablewie from some old BBS game?

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:21 pm

Kaan'Ish wrote:Well, off the top of my head, it might have some impact on ground-combat (when that becomes a part of the game). After all, the Hivers already gen-engineer warriors to optimise them for various battlefield tasks. It wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility for other species to also look into biological enhancement programmes.

The other option I can think of right now is something involving gen-engineered agriculture, which might enable you to support larger planetary populations (and possibly reduce upkeep costs/supply run requirements [if these exist] for orbital facilities) without serious environmental degradation (thanks to advanced food production methods, such as high-yield crops, algal cultures, etc)

Genetically engineered enhanced intelligence might be useful to help with further research. It might also make for a stronger economy or better strategies. Of course it might also lead to a backlash of some sort.

Lordshadowd

Post by Lordshadowd » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:34 pm

My take on this bio-weapon is that it not a new tek at all , but is an old ider like zoul-hords seeing planets with dead females :?:

NullDragon

Post by NullDragon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:10 am

You know, in SotS lore, the Zuul was used as a bioweapon.

Were delivered in pods, that seems like it would be similar to that used by normal biowar delivery methods, albeit slightly modified.

They weren't created by magic, simply sufficiently advanced bioengineering knowledge.

Were a commonly used weapon against the Morrigi, just tended to usually die off before getting into space. Hmmm...

Clarity

Post by Clarity » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:39 am

Out of wild speculation, it could have something to do with psionics.
{[(hiver player)]}

Return to “The Tech”