Ballistic Weapon Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
evil713

Re: Ballistic Weapon Technology

Post by evil713 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:27 am

Ares_in_snow wrote:ePeen is a way of referring to an internet-Wang. Generally a term used when people are dick-measuring in an internet argument, most often applied to peepul who don't know WTF they're talking about.

As for the "canuckistani Electron gun" What I'd been reading about was a system that would conduct a taser charge through the Ion channel left by a laser in the frequency of nitrogen's absorbtion spectrum. They were talking about being able to tune the frequency of the electrical discharge in order to burn out specific chips and the like. It works, but turns out to be far more difficult than expected, largely due to bloom: The laser beam heating up the air to the point that it starts to bend the path of the laser itself. Further; the taser discharge creates a secondary bloom resulting in even greater bending of the beam. At very short distances this is negligible, but the whole point of getting rid of the wires was to increase range.

1. i know jack all. im just saying for future refrence.

2. would not the solution to make the laser and electrical pulses really short and much higher powered?

Ares_in_snow

Post by Ares_in_snow » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:19 pm

2. would not the solution to make the laser and electrical pulses really short and much higher powered?
Works great for lasers, poorly for the "tazer" portion of the system.

SQW

Post by SQW » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:43 pm

This is a question about the cosmetic side of things.

Since there is no atmosphere in space, how does super-sonic mass driver shots create those 'ring' tails? I'd actually rather prefer a meaty, no-nonsense approach to ballistic weapon effects. God knows there will be enough flashy things going on with beams and lasers to bring your CPU to its knees.

Would it be possible to mod out some of the more extravagant special effects? Mecron?

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Think of the rings as your sensor's indication of magnetic eddies from the fields used to launch the projectiles. ;)

We used to have much tamer fx in SotS1 for mass drivers... it was hard to tell sometimes that you were being shot, or doing any shooting,
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

amtie

Post by amtie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:33 pm

Then shouldn't the sensor 'annotations' (such as the rings you are referring to) be more artificial-looking? Like how sensor view in SotS 1 is more artificial-looking than normal view.

Archonsod

Post by Archonsod » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:15 am

Depends on whether you want a realistic view or something that's actually useful to the player.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:51 am

SQW you can mod out or in whatever turns your krank. Hell for all we care, have the guns shoot lil physics professors boring their friends about how there is no sound in space and hence you should not be able to hear how boring they are :lol:

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:16 am

umm but we get to hear them right!? I think that would make my scientific friend lose his mind.

"Suulka mind control" Whales speaking in space! it enough to make any man go crazy

German.Dad

Post by German.Dad » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:31 am

i have a question about HEAP and AP tech.
it says something like "it replaces normal ammo in the small/medium/heavy turrets".
when i look at the details of HEAP and AP in the research it deals much less damage than the heavy ballistic turret (forgot the right name). is that just a cosmetic view error and will be correct if i place an AP in a heavy turret or is that the correct value?

oh, an another little questions....if i put a gauss canon into a heavy turret it shows 3 barrels, does that mean the heavy turret will shoot (in damage terms) like it where 3 gauss cannons?

thanks for the feedback.

Weidekuh

Post by Weidekuh » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:56 pm

German.Dad wrote:i have a question about HEAP and AP tech.
it says something like "it replaces normal ammo in the small/medium/heavy turrets".
when i look at the details of HEAP and AP in the research it deals much less damage than the heavy ballistic turret (forgot the right name). is that just a cosmetic view error and will be correct if i place an AP in a heavy turret or is that the correct value?

oh, an another little questions....if i put a gauss canon into a heavy turret it shows 3 barrels, does that mean the heavy turret will shoot (in damage terms) like it where 3 gauss cannons?

thanks for the feedback.

HEAP and AP do less damage than standard mass driver. But they lose much less damage against armor layers.

http://sots2.rorschach.net/HEAP_Rounds vs http://sots2.rorschach.net/Mass_Driver

Now compare HEAP mass driver vs. mass driver. Cruiser and heavier ships have a permanent "blue" armor layer that reduces damage. take away the first layer (cruiser class armor), second layer (dreadnaught class) or third layer (leviathan class) and see what happens with both of those. Now suddenly HEAP does way more damage. Only smaller than cruiser class ships don't have a "blue" armor layer.
And HEAP or AP can completely penetrate the "green" armor part much earlier and damage the structure of enemy ships.

gauss cannon in heavy turrets should be triple damage, yes. but keep in mind the armor penetration as shown above...

German.Dad

Post by German.Dad » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:25 pm

thanks for the info Weidekuh, now i got a better picture of it.
i guess the ingame info on heap and ap just show the heap/ap gauss cannon statics then.

Tarrak

Post by Tarrak » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:09 pm

Just want to point out that the linked Mass Driver is the Medium mount weapon, unlike the Light mount version for the HEAP. The Gauss Cannon is the comparable weapon, and it is almost painful to look at the two in comparison. The Gauss Cannon loses 5 of 8 damage when faced with a single level of armour, while HEAP loses 0 of 6 (5 at max range), and only 1 of 6 at 2 levels of armour while the Gauss Cannon is made completely ineffective (save for the pushback).
Every time you use 'fluff' for lore a Kerberos developer dies. And they are already an endangered species.

rabidchaos

Post by rabidchaos » Mon May 28, 2012 1:40 am

Just want to point out that the linked Mass Driver is the Medium mount weapon, unlike the Light mount version for the HEAP

Dude, scroll down. the HEAP page lists the stats for all three sizes.

Konaei:
Do you know what warhead of a bunker buster goes through during impact? I'm pretty sure that if the shells are built like those, they could survive long enough to blow up.

Re projectile velocity vs detonation velocity:
I don't believe that the shells in SOTS go through the ships they impact. Just fuze the shell so it goes off when it stops moving (relative to the target ship) rather than on impact.

Neutronium rounds essentially doubles the damage ballistics do, right? The wiki (http://sots2.rorschach.net/Neutronium_Rounds) doesn't say how much improvement there is.

Zoladex

Post by Zoladex » Mon May 28, 2012 10:15 pm

rabidchaos wrote:Neutronium rounds essentially doubles the damage ballistics do, right? The wiki (http://sots2.rorschach.net/Neutronium_Rounds) doesn't say how much improvement there is.

I assume its the same as sots one. 50% . http://sots.rorschach.net/Neutronium_Rounds

Rampart

Post by Rampart » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Ok, so, due to the search function not accepting any three letter words, and not having anywhere else to ask, I'll put this here:

Is it known if VRF Systems affects missile launch rates? I had though they did in SOTS1, and it's not like I'm not going to research if available, I just couldn't find anything one way or another in the game files :)
"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."
-Steve Wozniak

Return to “The Tech”