Energy Weapon Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Energy Weapon Technology

Post by ZedF » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Oh? The turret I saw had 3 barrels and you were (I thought) talking about heavy beam turrets around that time, so it appears I conflated something.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

mistervec

Post by mistervec » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:26 pm

I've got a question that has, perhaps, been answered elsewhere:

What's the deal with the odd, slower-than-light pulsed "lasers" in SotS Prime? Are they actually supposed to be lasers, or is this one of those "package of cohesive laser energy" things like they used in Wing Commander to explain why your "laser" was depicted as a blue ball?

Also: from a game play standpoint they work just fine, so I'm not asking that anything be changed to appeal to my sense of order. I'm also curious as to why they are called "lasers" instead of "blasters" or "pulse guns" or something.
This message brought to you by:

Mister Vec's Magical Space Haberdashery

"It is cold in the dark depths of space. Remember to wear a hat."

amtie

Post by amtie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:39 pm

If you're referring to the coloured lasers (e.g. red, green, uv, x-ray) then it's just for gameplay purposes that you can view them. In reality, not only would they be faster (to the point of not being visible), but they don't emit light in any direction other than the target, and so would be invisible, unless travelling through some dust cloud or something.

But it'd be boring like that. ;) So they're abstracted.

mistervec

Post by mistervec » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:42 pm

Fair enough, but we also have "beamers" which seem to act more like one would expect a laser to. It really isn't important, though, and saying "because its video games" actually works for me. :)
This message brought to you by:

Mister Vec's Magical Space Haberdashery

"It is cold in the dark depths of space. Remember to wear a hat."

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:45 pm

At realistic ranges, you could in fact get discrete packages of laser light... they be a tad bigger than what we see, though.(Those FTL neutrinos? They were about 18m ahead of were they should have been... in 60ns)
I guess it's at least partially for balance reasons, though. It would wreak havoc on missile use if all lasers behaved like beamers.
Sometimes you just have to break from reality to make the game work.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:35 pm

I still say Spontaneous Human Combustion is just some poor bastard getting hit by one of those stray starwars shots from 20000 light years away. By the time they get here they are just powerful enough to immolate a guy but NOT his comfy chair. :twisted:

Blackwarder

Post by Blackwarder » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:37 pm

Spontaneous combustion incidents are just Cylons who burned a fuse 8) serve the damn toasters right... :twisted:

Warder

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:03 am

Suuuuuuuuure....let luke and his irresponsible shoot em up cronies off the hook with an unsupportable story about human looking sex crazed robots catching fire....thats crazy talk!

IntrospectiveSpy

Post by IntrospectiveSpy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:54 am

poor Baltar...
Proud member of the Legion of Crazy People!

Blackwarder

Post by Blackwarder » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:52 am

I would rather have Tricia Helfer as a robot than Arnold. 8)

Warder

Tavior

Post by Tavior » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:01 pm

You know she used to be a model before her acting right? Just saying.

Also she provided voices for two major video game as well. One is Mass Effect 2 as "EDI" and the other is the "Sarah Kerrigan" of Wing of Liberty. I am sure there is more but I will let you find out on your own.

Blackwarder

Post by Blackwarder » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:32 pm

That is very gracious of you. ;)

Warder

guardsmen84

Post by guardsmen84 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:54 pm

IntrospectiveSpy wrote:poor Baltar...

nothing poor about him hes a coward :twisted:
We will not be stopped... not by spear... not by shield... not by armor... not by arrow... AND NOT BY SWORD.

Mecron wrote:if you run at grass at 30000 m/s it probably cuts real deep ;)

Achronus

Post by Achronus » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:16 pm

Umm... actually if your going to build a pulse laser for military purposes you need to ask yourself what you want.

Heat until failure is the general continuous-wave laser attack (unless you death-ray power the sucker)
Punching holes clean through a target is accomplished though longer bursts (.5 to 1.5 seconds)
Really short busts (like the whole 'packet' being only 6" long :shock: ) EXPLOSIVELY damage the target as the material is flash vaporized before any heat spreading can occur.

So, what do you want your gun to do?

- On Baltar, my feelings can be summed-up by one of the out-take clips; but, death by shorting robot is fine by me... or can he be a victim of some of that spontaneous human combustion mentioned earlier?

evil713

Post by evil713 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:20 pm

Achronus wrote:Umm... actually if your going to build a pulse laser for military purposes you need to ask yourself what you want.

Heat until failure is the general continuous-wave laser attack (unless you death-ray power the sucker)
Punching holes clean through a target is accomplished though longer bursts (.5 to 1.5 seconds)
Really short busts (like the whole 'packet' being only 6" long :shock: ) EXPLOSIVELY damage the target as the material is flash vaporized before any heat spreading can occur.

So, what do you want your gun to do?

All of that. And use Gamma Rays. :thumbsup:

Return to “The Tech”