Energy Weapon Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Torezu

Re: Energy Weapon Technology

Post by Torezu » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:26 pm

To my knowledge no armor reduces tractor beam efficiency.

Note on tractor beams: don't put tractor beams on ships with Phasers or Emitters (except maybe Heavy Emitters). You'll push the enemy out of reach of your guns. It's...irritating.

Lord Baal

Post by Lord Baal » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:55 pm

Great! Now I will never know how to construct a tractor beam!! Thanks!!! :cry:
Imagine your own funny quote here.

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:09 pm

Tractor beams are dead easy. You just colaminate a flow of tachyons and stickyons through a strange couplet, focus the resulting beam with a few quantum resonance chambers and point the thing at whatever you want to tractor. I think the "tractor beams" in SotS actually have a coaxial Q-helix projector that holds the target in place, as a straight tachyon/stickyon flow usually creates enough of a gravatonic flux to move the target toward the beam emplacement.
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:16 pm

Gryfalcon wrote:Tractor beams are dead easy. You just colaminate a flow of tachyons and stickyons through a strange couplet, focus the resulting beam with a few quantum resonance chambers and point the thing at whatever you want to tractor. I think the "tractor beams" in SotS actually have a coaxial Q-helix projector that holds the target in place, as a straight tachyon/stickyon flow usually creates enough of a gravatonic flux to move the target toward the beam emplacement.

*Twitch* The scary part about this is that it actually sounds coherent - at least, up until you use the word "stickyons." :bangdesk:

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:18 pm

I blame a misspent youth reading comic books.
Summer grasses:
imperial dreams - Basho

Lord Baal

Post by Lord Baal » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Ummm... I see... but what would happen if I add some wave induced tachyon capacitors, and lengthen the flux frequency enough so the beam becomes a huge gravitational wave?? Also, if I change the poles of the battery, will function as a hover device to make hover tanks?

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:31 pm

Lord Baal wrote:Ummm... I see... but what would happen if I add some wave induced tachyon capacitors, and lengthen the flux frequency enough so the beam becomes a huge gravitational wave?? Also, if I change the poles of the battery, will function as a hover device to make hover tanks?

Wave induced capacitors are how you make modulated graviton beams. :D Changing the poles of the batteries will cause enough feedback to cause a planet to go on sale (half off, say) - hovertanks aren't possible, everyone knows that. :lol:

Lord Baal

Post by Lord Baal » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:39 pm

Torezu wrote: hovertanks aren't possible, everyone knows that.

This is a sad, sad day for this megalomaniac...!
Last edited by Lord Baal on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

cameron112497

Post by cameron112497 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:05 am

Gryfalcon wrote:Tractor beams are dead easy. You just colaminate a flow of tachyons and stickyons through a strange couplet, focus the resulting beam with a few quantum resonance chambers and point the thing at whatever you want to tractor. I think the "tractor beams" in SotS actually have a coaxial Q-helix projector that holds the target in place, as a straight tachyon/stickyon flow usually creates enough of a gravatonic flux to move the target toward the beam emplacement.

this. this explains half of all sci-fi explanations. :lol:

Grunthex

Post by Grunthex » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:36 am

Obvious hogwash. You misspelled gravitonic.

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:24 pm

You're thinking of a flux of gravitons. The flux here is one composed primarily of Grava's particle, which aren't really particles, of course, but virtual Higgs Bosons. Fredrico Grava provided theoretical underpinnings of virtual particle induction from vacuum potential back in the 23rd century, but practical applications took some time to develop due to the power required to get the process started. Every device that will produce a gravatonic flux needs a seed of virtual bosons that it can use to induce more, but making that seed requires the energy on the order of several 20th century atomic weapons in the space of a teacup. The bonus is that you can create enough virtual particle mass to manufacture a dozen or more perpetual seeds in one go, but the teacup is consumed in the process.
Summer grasses:
imperial dreams - Basho

Jarix

Post by Jarix » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:56 am

I'm curious that if, with the new armor style, will there be a new breadth of energy weapon types to create different types of penetration or damage patterns?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:14 am

a new breadth? What are the old weapons supposed to do then when it comes to pen and patt? ;)

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:29 am

Deeply boring things. Like, uh, holes. Deep holes. ;)
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:13 pm

If I had to guess, I would think that Plasma Cannons make relatively broad and shallow patterns, pulse lasers are kinda middle of the road, and beams (and war quoits) make deep, narrow gouges. I imagine Emitters as more of a "sandblasting" effect, and torpedoes to be kinda cirular, both deep and broad, unless they are exotic and bypass armor entire.

I think there was a bit from Angry Joe's Pax video that said the beam damage model was aware of if the beam was fixed on one point or sweeping across the target.
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Return to “The Tech”