Energy Weapon Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
jp161

Re: Energy Weapon Technology

Post by jp161 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:59 pm

Since beam deals damage per second and not in one big blast, It seems logical for it to make a very narrow path if it's shooting at the same point constantly.

Ringsead

Post by Ringsead » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:36 am

Could someone go over whether this would be in the realm of plausible or if not why...
I do not know if a laser beam, similar to the power and magnitude found on star ships, can be redirected with something like a mirror... I know they have reflective armor, but I don't quite understand why ships do not have mirror plating if that is the case, (on a side note, in deep space, wouldn't using mirrors be a cheap mans cloaking device, since all it does is reflect ambient light and not take it in, it seems like it would be a difficult visual target)

The reason I was asking wasn't about armor or cloaking, but couldn't you a large feeder base, like a chain of satellites collectively feeding a laser into one area, making a force multiplier of 10 satellites firing as one very powerful one.

My last question is, lasers are not really affective in our atmosphere because the energy dissipates too quickly, the work well in space, they work ok in upper atmo, but really wasteful on surface. If I am right on this, wouldn't it be impractical to bombard a planet with laser based weaponry, no matter what it is? I mean, doesn't the sun provide much more light energy/radiation at our planet than a star ship can?

Im guess im trying to find out what lasers and in general what light can and cannot do.
This ship had a name, its name was Robert Paulson...

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:10 am

Ringsead wrote:Could someone go over whether this would be in the realm of plausible or if not why...
I do not know if a laser beam, similar to the power and magnitude found on star ships, can be redirected with something like a mirror... I know they have reflective armor, but I don't quite understand why ships do not have mirror plating if that is the case, (on a side note, in deep space, wouldn't using mirrors be a cheap mans cloaking device, since all it does is reflect ambient light and not take it in, it seems like it would be a difficult visual target)

Visual targets are a complete non-issue in space combat. By the time you could eyeball something, you'll have had it on lidar or radar for tens of minutes, or gravitic or heat sensors for hours.

As for reflecting laser energy, well... typical light which is reflected off a mirror actually loses energy when it does so. The reason the mirrors don't melt is because the amount of energy involved is at a relatively low level. Hit a mirror with a combat laser, and you'll have a mirror with a hole through it; very little of the energy would be reflected before the reflective surface melted. We have reflective coatings in SotS because it appears in some of the inspirational literature (i.e., science fiction), regardless of how practical it is. Same with cloaking and stealth armor.

The reason I was asking wasn't about armor or cloaking, but couldn't you a large feeder base, like a chain of satellites collectively feeding a laser into one area, making a force multiplier of 10 satellites firing as one very powerful one.

If you could design and build the proper collimater, you could probably do this. But if you're a little off on your targeting, you're going to have a melted satellite on your hands and no uber-beam.

My last question is, lasers are not really affective in our atmosphere because the energy dissipates too quickly, the work well in space, they work ok in upper atmo, but really wasteful on surface. If I am right on this, wouldn't it be impractical to bombard a planet with laser based weaponry, no matter what it is? I mean, doesn't the sun provide much more light energy/radiation at our planet than a star ship can?

Im guess im trying to find out what lasers and in general what light can and cannot do.

Lasers can fire quite effectively through atmosphere, provided they're at a frequency which can penetrate said atmo. The energy doesn't dissipate more quickly (or not significantly more so) in atmosphere than in space; it's pretty much all dee-squared, although some environmental effects can attenuate the beam more quickly. Those can be simulated in space, too, with aerosol clouds, if need be.

The USAF had a program where they built a large chemical laser into an aircraft and tested shooting down missiles with it. Do a Google search for 'Airborne Laser Laboratory' - I know the existence of the program has been declassified. I think the results were 'encouraging once the technology matures a bit more', but it's been 20 years and more since I last talked with anyone who worked on it. :) (I think it took somewhere around 30 seconds to burn down a missile, but I could be mis-remembering. Obviously, that's not a reasonable amount of time in a combat situation.)

Regular (incoherent) light scatters upon entering the atmosphere because it's made up of multiple different frequencies of light-wavicles, in random polarization. Lasers are coherent light - a laser is composed of one specific frequency of light, and all of the wavicles are in the same polarization. They'll refract, but that can be corrected for with good aim. As for the amount of energy put out by the sun, well, yes, it's quite a bit; but it's all spread out over the planet. Lasers would put a much higher energy density on the target spot; it's not a matter of how much total, but how much at one point.
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

MechaShadowV2

Post by MechaShadowV2 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:19 am

Tavior wrote:This is NOT argument post. I am merely posting how I feel at that point and why.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=19768&start=45#p315031

You don't really need energy unless it is using magnetic coils

At this point I thought Mass Driver were and potentially EITHER chemically driven and magnetic driven, at least no pet theory here. I did not explicitly said all mass driver were one way or another.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's rather interesting, as the general definition of a Mass Driver is essentially a cannon/barrel that catapults a kinetic object via electromagnetism, (in other words energy) instead of a rocket propelled method, ( basically chemical reaction driven), you can read it on Wikipedia under mass driver.

Now slightly more on topic, someone way back mentioned about new types of emp weapons, and its been a while since I've seen the SotS 2 trailer, but if memory serves me correctly, when the enemy ships arrived it shut down the human ships ( and anything else the humans had in the area running off of electricity) really suggesting to me they have some sort of massive emp weapon. So, a thought is, perhaps the other races might come up with some sort of emp gun/missile/mine. Most likely no where near as power full as the ones used by the suul'ka, but maybe enough to like shut a small ship ( or maybe even just a part of it, like half of it) and one section for the larger ships. If not in the release of sots 2, perhaps on a later add-on? I'm sure there would be something to balance it out, like nearby ships of your faction could be effected too or something, but I rather like the idea of basically stunning or at least impairing enemy ships, if even only for a short bit.
Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators. Ah man :(

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:56 pm

Starknight wrote:The USAF had a program where they built a large chemical laser into an aircraft and tested shooting down missiles with it. Do a Google search for 'Airborne Laser Laboratory' - I know the existence of the program has been declassified. I think the results were 'encouraging once the technology matures a bit more', but it's been 20 years and more since I last talked with anyone who worked on it. :) (I think it took somewhere around 30 seconds to burn down a missile, but I could be mis-remembering. Obviously, that's not a reasonable amount of time in a combat situation.

They actually built a new one, the Airborne Laser Testbed. In a Boeing 747.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Lord Baal

Post by Lord Baal » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:01 pm

Now they only have to shrink the whole thing to a fighter jet size and we will have laser jets! Then It would be matter of making said jets to have two transformation stages and we will have Robotech!! Yipi!!!! (I should start drinking less coffee...)
Imagine your own funny quote here.

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:51 pm

Like the solid state laser that was proposed and partially developed for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter? :thumbsup:
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Lord Baal

Post by Lord Baal » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:59 pm

Then I guess I need to drink yet more coffee!!! :o
Imagine your own funny quote here.

Achronus

Post by Achronus » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:14 am

Ummm...

If the armor system is aware of beam drift on armor...

Meson guns are known to pierce armor by their nature what does this do? Do they cause damage a certain distance in to the armor belt? High criticals? No armor damage at all?
And Gav weapons are known to cause damage to all ship sections at once - how will this model?
The Pulse Graviton beam (I call it the painful-paint-shaker gun! :D ) Vibrates the target to cause much damage Umm... What does this mean for the targets armor? Or critical hits?
Will their be a Pulse Meson gun?
Or perhaps a Gav-jacketed anti-matter beam (weapon bores into armor a distance THEN balloons outward?
Lightning... does it conduct through armor unless you have special insulation layers? Do these layers burn out?

Trithne

Post by Trithne » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:26 pm

Or perhaps a Gav-jacketed anti-matter beam (weapon bores into armor a distance THEN balloons outward?

I see this being more likely a ballistic tech. Then again, we already had the 'exploding munitions vs a good old fashioned slug' thread.

Lightning... does it conduct through armor unless you have special insulation layers? Do these layers burn out?

Emitters were described as having a very 'flaky' effect on the armour chart (my words, not theirs). So it would take bits and pieces out randomly.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Energy Weapon Technology

Post by ZedF » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Not really - they take off the outer layers of the hull pretty evenly. High damage potential but poor penetration.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Inspector

Post by Inspector » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:55 am

I was reading the ballistics weapon thread and came across these (quite deeply exciting) posts...

DeanHarper wrote:Sweet mother of god, if there was a new turret size we could very well see turreted Impactors on Leviathans.

Mecron wrote:Harper...indeed you will :twisted:

It made me wonder if we can also hope to see the Heavy Combat Laser weapon line fitted for Leviathan turrets. Might we?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:19 am

Yup yup... in triple barreled mounts too! :mrgreen:
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:03 pm

And you can still have double barrel Impactors next to that. Though if you search for long enough, you might be able to find a space on an LV that is not completely packed with guns/turrets/humongous missiles.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:29 pm

High inspector! If you can find the PAX party footage, you can see turreted impactors :thumbsup: But ignore zed, a war injury makes him say 3 when all he saw was 2 :P The triple barrels were for traditional beam weapons.

Return to “The Tech”