Rider Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Mecron
Kerberos

Rider Technology

Post by Mecron » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:34 pm

Your place to post questions, observations and comments on Battle Rider techs and their tree in Sword of the Stars II.

balti knights

Re: Rider Technology

Post by balti knights » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Will all races get some kinda battle-rider... a-la Tarka Hunter?
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

jp161

Post by jp161 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:42 pm

One question.. Why wouldn't they?

We have already seen Human DE battleriders and concepts of Liir-Zuul ones. I don't actually see any reason to think rest of them wouldn't get those. Same goes for larger battleriders as well.

Mecron mentioned a single Liir LV dropping of three Zuul battleships into a fight. That right there is obviously three DN battleriders. :)

Oh and.. Did ya notice the techtr.. techforest has a Rider Technology in it? Not much point making it such a big thing if only some races got to use 'em...

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:05 am

I myself am looking forward to seeing how many drone craft I can fit on a LV. I want to CLOUD the sky with attack bombers.
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

evil713

Post by evil713 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:15 am

assuming the rule of three still applies an lv would put out 54 drones. of cource you then have to deal with two facts. 1 LV are huge and 54 drones are small enought on a ship that size they might as well come standard, and 2, in addition to being a command vessle in addition to being limited to one active LV per tacticle fight in addition to having your LV surrounded with a fleet of its own, you want to add additional mathimatical stress to the engine by having a bajillion drones flying about and fireing there weapons.

me thinks lv will be limited to being a carrier for battleriders.

edit: i mean LV are really huge, its possable that a drone could only fly the length of the lv before having to return to refuel.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:44 am

Drones can fly further than that. ;)

On the other hand, Mecron compared drones to biplanes when SotS is set in a WWII-like era, so you might not see that many in one place anyway, when you could have larger more capable riders, which are more like WWII-era planes and bombers. :mrgreen:
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:44 pm

I wonder how the comparison holds... were there even any large biplane-carrier in WW1? And I doubt we'll see the same improvements in speed and maneuverability as happened from WW1 to WW2, especially with the advent of the jet engine...

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:49 pm

Actually, I wouldn't be too sure. There is of course a limit to how far you can stretch any analogy, but remember that those human DD riders did have a node ring on the back, even though they don't go inter-system. It is possible that riders will have tech to allow much faster in-system speeds than drones are currently capable of.
Last edited by ZedF on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zed's TARs (sample):

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Yes, that's weird... on one hand it should be for intra-system FTL, since inter-system FTL doesn't really make sense for a rider, but OTOH, Mecron has said that intra-system FTL was not possible... (unless your goal was to turn your ship into a blob of plasma)

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:03 pm

I don't think that's an actual node ring, it just looks similar.

Human FTL doesn't lend itself favourably to intrasystem travel anyway, even if it didn't turn you into a ionized gas.

Now that riders have become feasible, we probably won't see that many combat drones anymore due to their pitiful armaments... though they might still be used for reconnasaince and similar tasks where their comparatively small size or lack of need for a pilot would be advantageous.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:35 pm

...or the two of you could do more reading about node travel. :wink:

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:45 pm

IIRC, Mec has said something to the effect that going FTL in-system in real space would turn you into plasma. Good thing you're not in real space when jumping via nodes. ;)

Also remember the original node travel trip did not wind up leaving the Sol system, it wound up somewhere around Jupiter after a crash abort of the device that caused the jump. Seems reasonable that the humans would try to figure out a way to do something similar, only in a more controlled and safe manner. :thumbsup:
Zed's TARs (sample):

evil713

Post by evil713 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:00 am

i beleve it was said that there are in system node tunnles, but they are way too small and random for them to be usefull.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:13 am

The first era wiki has them listed at a ~1% chance of successfull travel. Drives probably improved since then, but they likely still aren't completely save.

And then you still need to find one that actually leads anywhere of note and doesn't have one end linked to the sun.
(They tend to appear near large centers of gravity, the largest of which tend to be massive fusion fires conveniently located somewhere around the center of a system.)
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:05 am

evil is right IIRC, small insystem node tunnels were likened to trying to send a tanker down river rapids.

As for intersystem riders, I would think a single CR carrier at a dust ball sending DE scouts to each nearby system would be a useful way to scout.

Return to “The Tech”