Rider Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Simetra

Re: Rider Technology

Post by Simetra » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Mecron was only referring to Battleriders as boats, not Battlecruisers or -ships, as they are cruiser/DN sized, aren't they?
So they should have prototyping as well.

cameron112497

Post by cameron112497 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:02 pm

I wonder if battleriders will be specialized weapons like the drones in Prime. Or will they be mainline weapons like HCL? While they are alot less vunerable than drones. It seems like most of the battleriders would be able to be swatted away by larger ships. Then again, I did read that there are DN battleships and I imagine it would be difficult to use a Leviathan to attack things so it would be difficult to catch up with the motherships.

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:27 pm

Battleriders (-cruisers, -ships) are no weapons (like drones mostly were) but boats/ships. They are at least as strong as the non battle versions of the same size, mostly even stronger (no need for long range equipment).

So Battleriders (-cruisers, -ships) are not a mainline "weapon", but the mainline weapons platform of SOTS ][, as they are faster, stronger ... better ;)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:49 pm

Battleriders are DDs with souped up short-range engines and maybe a bit more guns... I don't imagine they are especially dominating. There are undoubtedly going to be lots of ways to arrive at victory in SotS2.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

xRei

Post by xRei » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:14 pm

ZedF wrote:Battleriders are DDs with souped up short-range engines and maybe a bit more guns... I don't imagine they are especially dominating. There are undoubtedly going to be lots of ways to arrive at victory in SotS2.

In the recent interview cast, they did mention weapon ranges were going to increase across the board as well, emphasizing scouting and detection greatly.. I think that is what will make riders so powerful, as mainline ships in sots 2 will probably be carriers with the riders your knife fighters(fighter planes to use a WWII reference.) I can imagine a lot of the mid-later fights in sots 2 coming down to who detects the other first, gets their riders to the enemy formation(to provide continuous, long-lasting detection), and has their carriers and larger sized battleships bombarding from long range... staying hidden will probably be a big advantage now.
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny The Elder
Roman scholar & scientist (23 AD - 79 AD)

"35- Lavamadness fixed a thing with construction ships showing different thingies."
-Mecron
Comment on fix 35 of the AMoC 1.6.3 patch

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:52 pm

That's pretty much the kind of thing I am envisioning as well, except that I prefer to think that heavy assault battlecraft like battlecruisers and battleships will be more important for providing the heavy firepower on the offense side than long range LV guns. But that's because I like wet navy carriers better than wet navy battleships, as IRL they offer a lot of extra striking range and area control capability. I would ideally like to see that same level of space control capability advantage on SotS2 carriers as compared to SotS2 gunships.

However, since SotS2 has a WWII aesthetic, I suspect I will have to make do with the early carrier version rather than the modern carrier version. :lol: I'm confident both approaches (carriers/gunships) will likely be at least to some extent valid, and complementary. 8)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:19 pm

I really want to know how Battleriders (and only riders ;)) act in ][.

a) Like DEs in Prime so basically fly ahead and fire (yeah you can get different behavior through orders, I know)
or maybe more like
b) a classical sci-fi fighter swarming around and try to dodge and hit with strafe mounts
c) like the modern ... spectre (?) flying circles around the ship and fire heavy side mounted guns
ok sections should be important too ...

Anybody :?:

Blackwarder

Post by Blackwarder » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Simetra wrote:I really want to know how Battleriders (and only riders ;)) act in ][.

a) Like DEs in Prime so basically fly ahead and fire (yeah you can get different behavior through orders, I know)
or maybe more like
b) a classical sci-fi fighter swarming around and try to dodge and hit with strafe mounts
c) like the modern ... spectre (?) flying circles around the ship and fire heavy side mounted guns
ok sections should be important too ...

Anybody :?:

Classic sci-fi fighters are an abomination upon nature, someone need to find George Lucas and shot the basterd for inventing them. :twisted:

The only ones who tried to be a bit realistic are BattleStar Galactica and B5 and even those renditions take a lot of poetic license with physics.

I think that option number one is the one we will see in game, unless BR got more surprises for us and aren't just heavily armed sublight parasite ship.

The thing to remember is that as you move through the "ages" of the game the purpose of the classes changes, so if at the start of the game you might use BR as power multiplier and as your main combatant in cruiser size carriers task forces later on they might be relegated to the role of fast scouts and spotters to your heavier ships, and on a later stage they might be used as specialized boats for things like suicide torpedo attacks against LVs or somthing (which might lead to the birth of Torpedo-BR-Destroyer :) ).

I hope that SotS ][ will manage to keep all classes of ships relevant throughout the game, OTOH I don't think that Mecron and the team invasion somthing like space fighters when they came with the entire raider concept.

Warder

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Don't get me wrong, I know that fighters ala SW are ... much more fairytale than fiction :bangdesk:

I wasn't comparing BR to X-Wings, but their behavior. You don't need to much of agility to dodge around a LV, do you? ;)
So a ship which is much bigger than a fighter but can behave in the same way, that was what I was thinking about.

Blackwarder

Post by Blackwarder » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:02 pm

I think that any BR stupid enough to get close to a LV deserve to die, only chance for it to survive that I can think of is long range launch of some sort of ammunition and than running away like crazy.

Think about it a LV is a massive ship bristling with weapons, it's small weapons mounts suite should be at minimum compared to that of a dreadnaught and probably larger, and not to mention it's higher "caliber" guns/energy weapons/missiles/etc no BR could carry enough armor to survive a single hit from one of it's larger turrets.

Of course that is all in my personal opinion considering that we don't have the game yet (the horror! :cry: ) I can't say that I never sinned with wanting to be able to kill a dread in SotS prime with DE close attacks with favorable kill ratio, sadly I never managed to do so and I think that trying to do so against LV will be the same.

Warder

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:38 pm

Like drones in sots 1, if the battle riders are nimble enough, they won't have to fear the larger weapon mounts at all : those just won't track fast enough to hit them.

Yaotzin

Post by Yaotzin » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:13 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:Like drones in sots 1, if the battle riders are nimble enough, they won't have to fear the larger weapon mounts at all : those just won't track fast enough to hit them.

The small and even medium turrets do though. That's why phaser PD basically obsoletes drones in SotS1, and phasers obsolete DEs that aren't designed either to be far away (torpedo DEs or somesuch), or are designed to take the hit (shields or w/e).

Pretty sure it'll be the same in SotS2. After all, what's the point of making bigger ships if the small ones you start with can kill them?

evil713

Post by evil713 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:19 pm

my question is do battleriders count as point defense targets? I dont know what light mounts a LV class has, as we never been able to zoom in far enough to see them, but a battlerider might be above the targeting threshold of things like pdlasers.

Edit:the upside is numbers

Yaotzin

Post by Yaotzin » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:26 pm

evil713 wrote:my question is do battleriders count as point defense targets? I dont know what light mounts a LV class has, as we never been able to zoom in far enough to see them, but a battlerider might be above the targeting threshold of things like pdlasers.

Edit:the upside is numbers

They're fully fledged ships, simply without FTL, so I can't see why PD would shoot at them (unless PD shoots at everything in SotS2). Phaser PD is just a small version of phasers though - so for a DE sized ships phasers should vaporize it adequately.

I'm guessing battleriders/DE sized ships will be limited - either by design or just de facto - to long range combat or non combat (spying, carrying fuel, repairing things etc). They simply don't make sense as a fighting craft when you have accurate weapons with light speed "projectiles". You can't dodge those!

Blackwarder

Post by Blackwarder » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:37 pm

I think that they will be viable attack boats early game and as the game moves forward they will get relegated to support roles and for raiding undefended targets.

Warder

Return to “The Tech”