Rider Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
evil713

Re: Rider Technology

Post by evil713 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:11 am

Cpt. Awesome wrote:
ZedF wrote:In the angry Joe interview video there was a Hiver LV launching a bunch of DD riders. At least for LVs and to some extent for DNs, how many riders of what classes will depend on what modules you bring.

For some reason I thought it was a Hiver LV launching CA riders? Although I didn't necessarily examine it as closely as others on this forum.

I'm with the captain on this 1. I agree that those are cruisers being launched.

G P

Post by G P » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:19 am

would be interesting if you could have drone controlling riders with riders attached, so your LV drops several dreads which themselves drop several cruisers / then destroyers.
Would be a pretty cool o' shit moment when that single enemy ship you dismissed as a scout turned into a 100 ship fleet =D

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:29 am

G P wrote:would be interesting if you could have drone controlling riders with riders attached, so your LV drops several dreads which themselves drop several cruisers / then destroyers.
Would be a pretty cool o' shit moment when that single enemy ship you dismissed as a scout turned into a 100 ship fleet =D

That has been posted about half a dozen times already, the short answer: no.
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

G P

Post by G P » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:27 am

ahh applologies, I neglecteed to read the rest of the thread. I think it is just as well its a no anyways, would make defence quite tricky.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:14 pm

actually no...it would just be kinda silly. ;)

evil713

Post by evil713 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:15 am

Sounds more like a GM, starts off huge, splits into smaller vessels when attacked, reforms for travel, like a second von numann race, or a more advanced shard.

Blackwarder

Post by Blackwarder » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:24 am

evil713 wrote:
Cpt. Awesome wrote:
ZedF wrote:In the angry Joe interview video there was a Hiver LV launching a bunch of DD riders. At least for LVs and to some extent for DNs, how many riders of what classes will depend on what modules you bring.

For some reason I thought it was a Hiver LV launching CA riders? Although I didn't necessarily examine it as closely as others on this forum.

I'm with the captain on this 1. I agree that those are cruisers being launched.

Mec said that they were DE... I also thought that they were cruisers but than again hiver ships tend to be smaller than the other races ships.

Edit: now with a link! :D
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=20120&start=45

Warder

Grunthex

Post by Grunthex » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:01 am

G P wrote:would be interesting if you could have drone controlling riders with riders attached, so your LV drops several dreads which themselves drop several cruisers / then destroyers.

Mec's already zapped the idea, but I had to point out that only a completely crazy person dismisses one incoming LV by saying "Oh, it's just a scout" :)

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:16 am

I love riders. Unlike drones, you can put cloaking devices on them (just as you can for destroyers), for awesome scouting in tactical combat.

Will we be able to customize each rider on the spaceship and not just give it all of the same type, so we could decide I want one rider scout, one rider particle beam spinal mount for fighting large ships, and one rider AOE torpedo for fighting small ships?
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

evil713

Post by evil713 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:44 am

using the hiver lv as an example id say port and starboard could be seprate types.

sofar we have not heard anything on the building of battle class ships, only there design (no prototyping) and there need for carriers. if they are build independantly of carriers then theres probily a yard you need to build/ research to hold them at base for sorting onto carriers. it has been routenly said that battle class ships have no capability to support themselfs without a carrier.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:42 am

Where do you get the idea that there is no prototyping for battle class ships? I haven't read anything of the sort.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:37 pm

ZedF wrote:Where do you get the idea that there is no prototyping for battle class ships? I haven't read anything of the sort.

Prototypes are for Capital ships only. Battleriders are considered "boats" and not Capital ships, so are not prototyped. I have seen no word on if Battlecruisers or Battleships need to be prototyped though.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Blackwarder

Post by Blackwarder » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:10 pm

Afaik riders are two sections ships, I can understand why not prototype DE, probably because their prototyping cost is added to the prototype cost of the carrier but it's seems strange to not have prototypes of battlecruisers and battleships, after all we are talking about heavily armed and fast 90 and 270 meters ships crewed by dozens and more crew members.

Warder

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:14 pm

We also don't know whether battlecruisers and battleships are 2- or 3- section ships.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Blackwarder

Post by Blackwarder » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:21 pm

All raiders are two sections afaik...

Warder

Return to “The Tech”