Rider Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Rider Technology

Post by ZedF » Wed May 04, 2011 10:52 am

Well those aren't all riders, Dev. :) Maybe that's what you meant by quoting 'riders' tho.

The battleriders (DD), battlecruisers (CA), and battleships (DN) are all capable of being carried on carriers. They don't go inter-system themselves, but their carriers do.
The drones are capable of being carried on drone ships, and sometimes on non-dedicated ships. They don't go inter-system themselves, but their parent ships do.
The SDBs don't get carried on anything in combat, and neither do the node fighters. Neither can travel inter-system on their own, but node fighters can travel in-system FTL via node sublines. We don't know whether they can be transported as cargo to another system.

All of these things need some sort of base or carrier to be able to remain operational.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Wed May 04, 2011 7:25 pm

ZedF wrote:Not so fast, Az.

Very likely, if drones in SotS can operate weapons while docked to drone ships (they can) ...

Not so fast, Zed!
Imma call you on this one, as Ive modded drones in SotS Prime extensively.
In my experience they can not fire while docked.
Assault shuttles, and Node Missiles used to be able to (before Drones were introduced), but as of 1.8.0 they can not.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed May 04, 2011 8:07 pm

Hm, I know that I have seen them doing so before. And that I have seen Zuul slaver discs firing while docked. I don't recall if it was in 1.8.0 or 1.7.2, however.

Have you tried launching drones/boarding pods in nodespace in SotS1? That would really seem to be the question. I don't know of anything that would prevent it.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed May 04, 2011 9:04 pm

We might run into gameplay/story-segregation there, i.e. while it might not be possible(or feasible) in fluff, it wasn't specificially programmed in simply because it wouldn't be worth the effort. I mean, how often do you end up with a drone carrier in a Nodespace fight?

Besides, i just misread evil anyway.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Wed May 04, 2011 9:10 pm

ZedF wrote:Hm, I know that I have seen them doing so before. And that I have seen Zuul slaver discs firing while docked. I don't recall if it was in 1.8.0 or 1.7.2, however.

Have you tried launching drones/boarding pods in nodespace in SotS1? That would really seem to be the question. I don't know of anything that would prevent it.

Haven't done alot of Nodespace testing, and don't frequent the cloudy abyss when Im just playing.
So I have no idea if they launch in Nodespace. :(

evil713

Post by evil713 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:07 pm

all i know about nodespace is that if you lose your engine your ship explodes. also its haunted.

Ikaros

Post by Ikaros » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:27 pm

System Defense Boats exist, they require the Stealth Facilities technology to build, they're short range vessels and require constant supplies. I expect to construct an asteroid monitor with hangars and shipyards instead of missile launchers. Maybe there'll be a few 'That's no asteroid, it's a space station!' moments!

I wonder whether Riders and SDBs are their own ships that are constructed and destroyed individually, or child ships that depend upon their parent vessel, like Prime's Tarka Battlecruisers, or drones. ie, Can we negate the SDBs by destroying their base?

I'm very curious what the battle space will look like in this game; Prime was always centered around a single planet but it looks like there will be far more objects of interest this time around. :D There were very limited number of goals in a SotS' battle: destroy a fleet, destroy a planet and there wasn't much else. Most battles required superiority to accomplish anything. We could raid freighters, Stations, and planets as long as you had cloaked Bio Cruisers/Assault Shuttles. Hopefully more facilities means that there will be more objects of value in a system!

...or 'Stealth Facilities' could mean 'Abstracted Facilities' too, which would be fine!

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:44 pm

Yes, nodespace is haunted Evil.

My only concern is how common will node space battle be in this game? I have had some SP games where I got hit in almost 34 node space battles against 2 human AI when playing as Zuul.

It looks creepy and scary crap lurks about if you stay in it too long. I am just afraid of the Devs adding more torturous things for them who wish to fight in such terrain. :evil:

However on the concept of battleriders. Will a DE battlerider have more guns on it then they do now. I really think Humans should put more guns on their destroyers now that they lack FTL travel so they can have bigger engines and more weapons? or something like that??? :thumbsup:

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:30 pm

I think Mec said something along the lines that there might be a few more/bigger guns but the main thing you get out of being a rider is a lot more speed in tactical combat.
Zed's TARs (sample):

kdonovan

Post by kdonovan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:00 pm

Even if all you got (for various riders) was being cheaper or just not costing additional CPs that might make them very valuable.

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:43 am

I also thought of:

Would not some Battleriders (-cruisers, -ships) look more different from "normal" than others?

As hivers would look similar, only diferent is that their engines don't need FTL capabilities or big fuel tanks - but its the same engine principle.

But Tarka or Human would "lose" their Warpgondolas/Node rings and should look different from FTL ships, or not?

Deveron

Post by Deveron » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:54 am

maybe it was already asked and answered.

but can it only be

CR carrier = DE riders
DN carrier = CR riders
LV carrier = DN riders

or van it also be

DN carrier = DE riders
LV carrier = lots of DE riders?

now i am asking it we got the answer to the LV one in the angry joe interview. but that could be because LV use modules...what about the DN carrier having DE rider load outs?
soon to be a Major Religion near You! :)

GIVE ME MY BUNNY!

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Rider Technology

Post by ZedF » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:15 pm

In the angry Joe interview video there was a Hiver LV launching a bunch of DD riders. At least for LVs and to some extent for DNs, how many riders of what classes will depend on what modules you bring.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:30 pm

ZedF wrote:In the angry Joe interview video there was a Hiver LV launching a bunch of DD riders. At least for LVs and to some extent for DNs, how many riders of what classes will depend on what modules you bring.

For some reason I thought it was a Hiver LV launching CA riders? Although I didn't necessarily examine it as closely as others on this forum.

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:31 pm

At least it was a LV which definitely carried NO DNs ;)

Return to “The Tech”