Warhead/Missile Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Mecron
Kerberos

Warhead/Missile Technology

Post by Mecron » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:37 pm

Your place to post questions, observations and comments on Missile and Warhead technologies and their tree in Sword of the Stars II.

adecoy95

Re: Warhead/Missile Technology

Post by adecoy95 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:26 am

dumbfire missiles are my favorite early game tech, they upgrade without having to build new ships, have decent armor penetration, and are cool looking to boot. i hope we see them again!

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:14 pm

I would like to see larger missiles. Medium size are all well and good, but with a new ship chassis and new tech coming up, I want to see more designs for missiles and rockets; any chance of fitting LV size missiles on our newest world-glassers?
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:44 pm

An LV sized missile is probably a node missile rider. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:53 pm

an LV sized missile would be a cruiser...not everything scales up sensibly :wink: MIssile tech is reacting to PD tech at this point. Doesn't matter how big the package is if it doesn't get through.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:00 pm

Mecron wrote:an LV sized missile would be a cruiser...not everything scales up sensibly :wink: MIssile tech is reacting to PD tech at this point. Doesn't matter how big the package is if it doesn't get through.

Good, 'cause right now PD is winning (due to having to deal with the drone threat) and missiles and seeking torps could use a bit of PD reaction. :)

EDIT: should I assume we're going to be looking at EW technologies here to help the seekers out, possibly among other things? Could shield generators be miniaturized enough to make a missile bus that carries a shield generator for a school of missiles, instead of a warhead? 8)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:43 am

The MW missile was a step against PD, perhaps missiles that launch with decoys (real or EW) to saturate/confuse PD turret tracking.
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:00 pm

Hmm... missiles launching wild weasels... or better, wild beavers! :P (guess what sig I'm thinking about! :wink: )

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:05 pm

I don't know what sig, but I am pretty sure you are unaware of North American slang with that comment.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:18 pm

You know, that one, with energetically rubbed beavers acting as pulsar torpedoes...

P.S.: I guess I shouldn't have looked up in the urban dictionary... I now have very weird images coming up in my mind...

mattosika

Post by mattosika » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:06 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:P.S.: I guess I shouldn't have looked up in the urban dictionary... I now have very weird images coming up in my mind...

North America strikes again!

Khurn

Post by Khurn » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:53 pm

Yeah, you learn quickly when traveling that you stumbled over stuff like that. When their eyes get all wide, you know you crossed the line somehow, and have to then find out later what it was. :bangdesk: Thanks for the laughs , remember about all my whoops on travel to Europe and Middle-East.

PD and Missile/Drone/Torp side is always a tough one for balance. Just always have to adapt to the situation, but space battles are boring if it gets down to missile/drone fests.

TheTuninator

Post by TheTuninator » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:56 pm

Mecron wrote:I don't know what sig, but I am pretty sure you are unaware of North American slang with that comment.

:thumbsup:

:bangdesk:
"DIVE DIVE DIVE, HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT!"

EntropyAvatar

Post by EntropyAvatar » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Another way for large missiles to get around point defence is to have some sort of stand-off capability. So a missile that converts into a shot-gun blast of gauss rounds, or a cluster of plasma blobs, or a short-lived beam. I think these sorts of things would be visually interesting. They reduce the time the PD has to engage and favours long-ranged PD (like interceptor missiles) or dedicated PD platforms in the path of the attack.

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:34 pm

EntropyAvatar wrote:Another way for large missiles to get around point defence is to have some sort of stand-off capability. So a missile that converts into a shot-gun blast of gauss rounds, or a cluster of plasma blobs, or a short-lived beam. I think these sorts of things would be visually interesting. They reduce the time the PD has to engage and favours long-ranged PD (like interceptor missiles) or dedicated PD platforms in the path of the attack.

As long as its not "bomb-pumped" I would agree.
I think the most doable would be is the Stormers.
Set up like the real life 'Metal Storm' weapon(Haven't checked on that for a while, no idea how development has gone.. :oops: ) but mounted on a guided rocket.
It would probly have to be weaker than the actual mount tho, due to mass restrictions...

Return to “The Tech”