Korgan

Re: Warhead/Missile Technology

Post by Korgan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:38 pm

always HCL

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:02 pm

warhead just cannot produce the energies required to focus a sustained lancer or cutter beam

Exavier724

Post by Exavier724 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:51 pm

Must inform my tech staff that they need to start experimenting with crossing reflex warhead/furnace technology with blast beam laser emitters... And hope they don't use my command ship as target practice :P

Hari Seldon

Post by Hari Seldon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:37 pm

Blast storm missiles. Nice Footfall book reference.

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk 2
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Kubbu

Post by Kubbu » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:16 am

there is something about the missiles in the game i always thought was weird... all those missiles are supposed to have nuclear warheads but their impact is like oops, i think granny just farted if u know what im getting at. i think there should be a bigger, more nuke-like boom with a flash and shit. maybe i bit like this scene in battlestar galactica (which i totally cant find on youtube) when the galactica gets hit by a nuke. ok, its not really important but it was just a thought ;)

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Explosions in space are far less spectacluar than in an atmosphere. The missiles in SotS are also fairly low yield, somewhere in the low kiloton range and tend to be used en masse, so flashy explosions would quickly turn annoying.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:48 pm

Also the fantasy is about nukes being about the big bang...they can be but in reality they would be more about efficiency. Once you have very high tech for containment, it becomes the issue of VERY small amounts of fissionable or fuseable become orders of magnitude more efficient in creating the same bang as the amount of chemical explosive it would take.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:58 am

As long as we don't get into the microton range, all is well.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:42 am

Ummm...

Mecron wrote:The standard solforce fission era missile was about .001 Kt yield with fusion and then AM increasing that by factors of 10 roughly. The point was not for massive explosions as much as it was just to get the most reliable large bang out of a very small and sturdy warhead.

(quote is from one page back in this thread)
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:01 am

.001 kt = 1t. 1 µt = 1 gram.

A microton nuke would be a weak firecracker.

ReynoldsXD

Post by ReynoldsXD » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:38 am

AP-Nuke tipped artillery please? ^^

wait, wrong weapon type.

Ok, multiple launch rocket system, with ap, nuk tipped missiles.

spam em rockets!!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:49 am

You have MIRV's already :P

Aranador

Post by Aranador » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:16 am

MIRVs are nice, but rocket trails galore in Prime was a great visual (albiet killer on frame rate if you packed a few too many). When they were on a drone, they'd go everywhere !

ReynoldsXD

Post by ReynoldsXD » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:38 am

Mecron wrote:You have MIRV's already :P

you.. do actually know that there isa difference in a MLRS system and a MIRV warhead, yes? Of course you do...

You misunderstand: i do not ask for another guided missile: i ask for the equivalent to a stormer/projector, but with rockets.

Because spam. is awesome.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:36 am

Rapid fire missiles. Also in already.

Though i fail to see the point of meat-tipped warheads.

Return to “The Tech”