Warhead/Missile Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Torezu

Re: Warhead/Missile Technology

Post by Torezu » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:02 pm

Tavior wrote:
Kilson wrote:Im going from the SotS I tech tree..... and I always found it strange that there is no link between Antimatter Warheads and Mines...

I always found it odd that you could get antimatter warheads before antimatter engine were common.

[sarc] Because we have fusion engines right now, IRL... [/sarc] :D

Fusion warheads, otoh...it's far easier to make things go boom than to direct the boom to useful applications. Edit: ninja'd... :cry:

Tavior

Post by Tavior » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:34 pm

I was merely pointing out that antimatter warhead is fission era technology. Why would you need a second chance when you can just salvage it. But if nobody has it in the game, move on to different tech or w/e.

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:39 pm

Tavior wrote:I was merely pointing out that antimatter warhead is fission era technology. Why would you need a second chance when you can just salvage it. But if nobody has it in the game, move on to different tech or w/e.

It's only kind of fission era tech. It's expensive enough that getting it in the fission era may set you back some. However, a bunch of planet missiles with AM warheads will shred CR fleets that don't have PD, so there is some advantage to getting it early.

Kilson

Post by Kilson » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:50 pm

Tavior wrote:I was merely pointing out that antimatter warhead is fission era technology. Why would you need a second chance when you can just salvage it. But if nobody has it in the game, move on to different tech or w/e.

I have tried many many many games to salvage them.... .. and have yet to get them.. Ether there unsalvageable or the sandomizer hates me... Most likely its the later... lol over 25 games as the Morigi and I have yet to get the Meson Projector ..... and out of those 25 games I have only gotten AM warheads about 12 times..
Mac Book Pro 17hd Glossy ,2.6 Ghz Duo core 2, 4 gigs ram $3,700.00
Windows XP Sp2 $199.00
SoTS = $20.00
Playing Sword of the Stars on a Mac = Priceless

Tavior

Post by Tavior » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Kilson wrote:I have tried many many many games to salvage them.... .. and have yet to get them.. Ether there unsalvageable or the sandomizer hates me... Most likely its the later... lol over 25 games as the Morigi and I have yet to get the Meson Projector ..... and out of those 25 games I have only gotten AM warheads about 12 times..

Ok just for your knowledge. Morrigi has 50 percent chance of getting it. That is assuming you have fusion warhead if not then you will need to salvage fusion warhead and antimatter warhead. Best candidate for getting antimatter warhead are Tarka at 80 percent with Hiver at 70 percent. The only faction worse than Morrigi to get antimatter is Zuul with 10 percent chance. Either you had a very very bad luck steak or just generally sadorandomizer at work.

For Meson Projector you need to have Meson Beam otherwise you can't get it. Antimatter power and any of the projector will do on top of Meson Beam. If you have no projector then you can't get Meson Projector either despite having meson beam.

Don't feel bad, I love playing Hiver and for HIver to practically have shield 4 mark plus phaser plus gravitron beam is nill. Unless I did some serious salvaging/begging.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Fusion warhead is a core tech.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Tavior

Post by Tavior » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:46 am

ZedF wrote:Fusion warhead is a core tech.

Are you certain? Because I just check it has chance to be available or not via rolls. i think you are confusing 90 percent with core technology not sure.

RobAK801
Doomsayer

Post by RobAK801 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:06 am

Fusion Warhead has several links, only the link from Fusion Power is 100% for everyone though if I remember correctly.

Edit: just checked the tech tree on the wiki, the fusion->Fusion warhead link is a core link while the gamma WH-> Fusion WH is not.
N* makes me miss my Commadore 64 and my copies of Starflight I + II :(

SolForce Grunt 1: With the Suul'ka on the loose Command has issued a F.U.C.K. You order.
SG2: A what?
SG1: A Fight Until Cthulu Kills You order!

Tavior

Post by Tavior » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:12 am

RobAK801 wrote:Fusion Warhead has several links, only the link from Fusion Power is 100% for everyone though if I remember correctly.

Edit: just checked the tech tree on the wiki, the fusion->Fusion warhead link is a core link while the gamma WH-> Fusion WH is not.

Hmm I was in a rush to take a relaxing walking. Yes that is the link I was talking about.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:14 am

Still fusion missiles are core because the link from Fusion is core. :)
Zed's TARs (sample):

Tavior

Post by Tavior » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:10 am

ZedF wrote:Still fusion missiles are core because the link from Fusion is core. :)

You will often want to check if you gotten the link from gamma warhead as that is a vast cheaper link than fusion itself.

Grunthex

Post by Grunthex » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:52 am

Tavior wrote:
ZedF wrote:Still fusion missiles are core because the link from Fusion is core. :)

You will often want to check if you gotten the link from gamma warhead as that is a vast cheaper link than fusion itself.

Sort of. Sure, it's technically cheaper to get fusion warheads via Gamma (assuming you make all the rolls) - 42,000 RP total vs 97,000. But you're GOING to research Fusion, no matter what, and looking at it that way, it's only 15,000 for Fusion warheads instead of 25,000.

Very few games do I get ever touch gamma warheads (and only taked shaped warheads for the heavy planetaries)

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:29 am

Agreed, in most games, getting fusion warheads from gamma warheads is an exceedingly inefficient way of getting fusion warheads, given that Fusion is pretty much required anyway and given that warhead techs are usually much more useful defensively than offensively in SotS1. In fact I sometimes don't bother with fusion warheads even if I have fusion, simply because nobody's attacking any of my planets because I've taken the fight to them, and it's cheap and easy to last-minute research if I discover I need it for some reason.
Zed's TARs (sample):

ErebusDL

Post by ErebusDL » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:45 am

Hardly an expert in science of it all, it just seems that finding Antimatter, shoving it into a warhead and slamming that warhead into the enemy is infinitely easier then creating a control reaction that all your ships rely on to survive.

Killing is easy, living is hard.

amtie

Post by amtie » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:15 am

If you've researched Fusion Warheads, do you get any extra damage bonus by researching shaped warheads?

Return to “The Tech”