Psionic Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Azrael Ultima

Re: Psionic Technology

Post by Azrael Ultima » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:26 pm

You might want to read that page first. It doesn't tell you which tech gives which ability.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Korgan

Post by Korgan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Telekinesis I'm pretty sure is the tech that gives repair. If not that then its micro-telekinesis. I'm 90% sure it's telekinesis though.

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:45 pm

Main issue I have with the click-and-hold operation is that it makes it virtually impossible to issue psionic attacks from multiple ships simultaneously (unless I'm doing it wrong?).

Ie: there's no running in and having 3 different ships fear 3 other ships while another vessel of yours tries to immobilize a fourth enemy so that what's left of your fleet can focus fire the immobilized enemy to death with good accuracy.

I mean, you can still do it - but only in a step-wise fashion. There's no way to do a coordinated psionic strike.

Also, has anyone ever salvaged psi-tech? Do we get to surgically examine the brains of enemy survivors and corpses?
Go Hiver or go home!

Korgan

Post by Korgan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:17 pm

It would be nice if there was something like a meta-concert psi tech that let you use the psi power for a group of ships all at once, for those that have the same power. especially ones like repair

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:24 am

It would make more sense for µTK to grant a permanent repair bonus(enables repairing of parts that would have to be discarded previously), i think. The Repair ability essentially stretches your armor to provide temporary defense, not really repair the ship. Fine if you need to stop that missile now, but not really appropriate for proper maintenance.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:14 pm

smearing around armor does not really operate at the same scale as full on supplied ship repairs

MrAlgothi

Post by MrAlgothi » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:31 am

Its the psi potential of the ship currently selected. The 'Brain' value on the main screen determines psi regeneration rate of ships with psi abilities and is based on the total biosphere of worlds you control.

Treliant

Post by Treliant » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:32 pm

I attached this to a post in tech support but figured it should actually go in this section as a suggestion on the mirrage and flase friend powers.

"I can confirm that mirage does block your shots as well as enemy shots I built a Morigi Blazer Dread and was disappointed when all my HCL beams slammed into the false image instead of passing through and hitting the target. (I get that the spawned ships represent the false image in the enemy gunners' heads, but since my troops wouldn't be affected by the mirage, shouldn't my weapons' fire pass through them?) As a suggestion maybe this Psych power should just give a ship an enhanced version of the liir flicker warp drive effect for a duration, a high percent chance of enemy weapons fire to just pass through the ship.

I havn't tried false friend yet but i had figured it would just make your ship untargetable by the affected enemy until it fires a shot at them. What you described sounds awesomely over the top and i'll have to go try it out now!"

GantradiseDracos

Post by GantradiseDracos » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Setokaiva wrote:Seems plausible. First we need to know just what races in this game can use psionic powers... Humans have a variety of powers but most of them are inactive and unusable for a practical situation; in order to harness that kind of power in Humans, you would need to research psionic amplifiers so those latent powers could effectively interact with the world around.

Liir and Zuul already have psionic ability; a vast amount of it, in fact, though Zuul psionic abilities seem to be purely focused on offense, though the Liir can use them for offense if the need arises (which quite often does if you're a Black Swimmer). I can see Psionic techs for them as being further practical applications of their already existing powers.

Morrigi also have some psychic ability, they tend to use it for more for mating, hunting, or casting illusions on enemies, as well as communicating telepathically.

Hiver psionic centers are undeveloped, but they have been crushed into nonexistence in Tarkas. You would need major bio-engineering to give Hivers psionic abilities, but Tarkas are out.

So here's my techs...
Psionic Amplifiers - Available to Humans. Whilst most other races have highly evolved psionic abilities and can use them without the aid of machines, Human psionic abilities are underdeveloped and require a special device to amplify their abilities, to the point where they can affect the material world. Could be an 'adapter' plugged into the base of the skull, or a psionic amplifier right out of System Shock 2 which plugs into the wrist and rests in the palm of the hand. Either way, they're going to need things like this for their abilities to do much good.

Psionic Research Brain - Allows the creation of a telepathy network where psionically gifted individuals can communicate at blinding speeds, giving a % bonus to research efficiency. NOTE: Liir probably already have this naturally.

One thing I want to note; I had originally come up with more techs than this, but they could have all been done without the need of Psionic ability; you can create artificial synaptic link research brains, artificial synaptic link fire control sections, and synaptic link adapters in the base of the skull for controlling power suits and the like. Most of this stuff can already be done with current levels of technology (in the game I mean).

thats a LOT of synaptic links*scratches back of neck*.
perchance you have been playing warzone 2100?
My forum name is a grammer flubb. it should read Gantradies Dracos.
ME: ok, ive been listening to you guys for the last 3 minutes. question: what is the difference between a stack overflow and underflow,anyway? Adam: *beat*ok.Imagine you have a cat. If you were to feed the cat so much food that it explodes, that's a stack overflow. A stack underflow is where you try to take food out of the cat, and keep taking food out, until you take the cat out of itself.

Strategist0083

Post by Strategist0083 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:21 pm

Does Combat Telekinesis also help improve our ability to defend against boarding parties?

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:23 am

If that's what it says in the description, I would expect it does. If you think it isn't you might want to report it in Tech Support.
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:34 am

It does help to defend...it also helps to attack

Simetra

Post by Simetra » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:33 pm

I don't know exactly, but wouldn't that remind them of the way the Suul'ka went into space? If so, they probally wouldn't do so, even if they can.

KarroK

Post by KarroK » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:20 am

Does a SJET module on a leviathan (only 1 section selectable) increase attack speed and lower crew demand of the entire leviathan, front to rear?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:25 am

yes

Return to “The Tech”