Energy Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Mecron
Kerberos

Energy Technology

Post by Mecron » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Your place to post questions, observations and comments on Energy production/manipulation techs and their tree in Sword of the Stars II.

Setokaiva

Re: Energy Technology

Post by Setokaiva » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on what the new Energy tech is going to be? I myself have no idea... probably some kind of rare power crystal. Although, Antimatter is probably as good as it gets for power generation. Just remember, whatever makes a LOT of heat, makes a lot of energy.
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

Gwenio

Post by Gwenio » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:25 pm

Setokaiva wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on what the new Energy tech is going to be? I myself have no idea... probably some kind of rare power crystal. Although, Antimatter is probably as good as it gets for power generation. Just remember, whatever makes a LOT of heat, makes a lot of energy.

Really super conductors.

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:17 pm

And capacitors. :thumbsup:
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:51 pm

armored capacitors :wink:

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:11 pm

Gwenio wrote:Really super conductors.

Super-duper conductors?

Sorry.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

DeanHarper

Post by DeanHarper » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:38 pm

From my understanding SotS II is meant to go beyond the Antimatter era, which would imply one (or maybe even two) methods of power generation above it. If the developers could think of a reasonable way for the factions to harness the energy of a quantum singularity (aka a Black Hole) then it may be possible that some sort of singularity power plant would be made available.
Who's Awesome? I'm Awesome. How Awesome? Real Awesome. I'm Awesomely Awesome. I'm an A10 on the A5 scale of Awesome. What's that? Here comes the Awesome train off to Awesomeville. Population: Me.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Nope, no new ways to generate power. Think instead of new ways to more effectively channel and make use of that power to efficiently turn it into work. ;)
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:57 pm

I'd love to see the next step from Antimatter power generation in the form of Vacuum energy.
One vision, one purpose: Peace through POWER!

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:01 pm

You mean making use of the intense pressure of outer space and singularities to produce energy? How would that work, exactly...?
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

DeanHarper

Post by DeanHarper » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:08 pm

@Setokaiva: I have no idea, which is why I said singularities could work if the developers thought of a reasonable method for the races of SotS II to utilize them. Naturally it wouldn't have to be scientifically true or anything, just believable.

Of course, according to a certain ninja, Antimatter annihilation will remain as the best method of generating energy. So any possible methods any of us could think of as to how to draw energy from a vacuum or black hole would be meaningless.
Who's Awesome? I'm Awesome. How Awesome? Real Awesome. I'm Awesomely Awesome. I'm an A10 on the A5 scale of Awesome. What's that? Here comes the Awesome train off to Awesomeville. Population: Me.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:23 pm

Vacuum energy is yet another magic phrase used by writers and some pop sci people...the reality of it is, remember that time you saw open space explode spontaneously into a mulit megaton blast? No you don't...and hence whatever vac energy may or may not be, its not giving you the same bang for your buck and matter annihilation.

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:48 pm

Well, no. Vacuum energy is a form of background energy that already exist in space. The fact that no one can harvest it now, doesnt mean it will be like this in the future...
One vision, one purpose: Peace through POWER!

jp161

Post by jp161 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:53 pm

And arguing 'bout it in regards to SotS with the lead developer... I'd call that a "somewhat, if not totally and completely" futile move. :P

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:29 pm

probably some kind of rare power crystal

I hope Kerberos will do better than re-using clichéd science fiction memes...

You could theoretically harvest energy from the relativistic jets coming from the accretion disk around a black hole, it's a very effective way in converting mass to energy, and you don't even need to spend huge quantities of energy to make the fuel as in the case of antimatter! But the problem is how would you fit that inside a ship?
Maybe you could build an antimatter factory/resupply station around a black hole?

Return to “The Tech”