Energy Technology

Research and Development in SotS2.
Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Energy Technology

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:47 pm

Look...you can apply whatever fringy high end physics label you want..hell I do it myself when making cool things...but in this case...what would be the point of taking off fission and adding some sort of imaginary power that is more efficient...somehow...that converting Matter directly to Energy? should I have just kept the same tech tree and moved the lables down? Seriously, is that what anyone wants? Cause it seems to be what some of you are asking for and to be honest, mailing it in like that is a lot easier for me than actually trying to thing of things to affect gameplay in interesting ways.

mattosika

Post by mattosika » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:15 pm

Mecron wrote: remember that time you saw open space explode spontaneously into a mulit megaton blast? No you don't...and hence whatever vac energy may or may not be, its not giving you the same bang for your buck and matter annihilation.

Wait.... I thought that was how that whole universe thing we're in got started....

not being serious there. Just being a smart ass. :twisted:

DeanHarper

Post by DeanHarper » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:23 pm

Well Mecron, the reason we are running with that assumption (everything getting moved a layer down) is because we don't fully understand what it is you are planning. At least, I don't. So our thoughts are confined to what we know, and what we know is the old SotS tech tree. I am sure when we do discover what you are planning for the game in terms of power generation we will have this feeling of clarity like, "Ohhh, that's what he meant, I get it now. Those older suggestions we gave were so stupid compared to this. No wonder he got pissed off."
Who's Awesome? I'm Awesome. How Awesome? Real Awesome. I'm Awesomely Awesome. I'm an A10 on the A5 scale of Awesome. What's that? Here comes the Awesome train off to Awesomeville. Population: Me.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:30 pm

He repeatedly said that there would be no new power tier above AM... but several new techs about how that power was used.

I was just thinking about an idea about what could be a possible refinement to antimatter... and don't you think that a "gas station" around a black hole would be a cool idea? (though it might fit better in a RPG setting...)

I don't know about the others but I'm pretty confident you'll make the SotS 2 energy tree more interesting than the SotS 1 one, even without a third completely different reactor type.

Btw, you might already know that, but actually, Fission, Fusion, and Antimatter are all converting matter to energy. The "off the top of my head but probably close enough to reality" efficiencies are respectively around 0.001%, 0.5% and 50%. (In the antimatter annihilation process a lot of energy is lost in the form of weakly interacting neutrinos that nobody has any idea how to extract any energy from.)

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:31 pm

jp161 wrote:And arguing 'bout it in regards to SotS with the lead developer... I'd call that a "somewhat, if not totally and completely" futile move. :P

One must never EVER argue with the boss. And I wasnt!

DeanHarper wrote:Well Mecron, the reason we are running with that assumption (everything getting moved a layer down) is because we don't fully understand what it is you are planning. At least, I don't. So our thoughts are confined to what we know, and what we know is the old SotS tech tree. I am sure when we do discover what you are planning for the game in terms of power generation we will have this feeling of clarity like, "Ohhh, that's what he meant, I get it now. Those older suggestions we gave were so stupid compared to this. No wonder he got pissed off."

+1
One vision, one purpose: Peace through POWER!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:34 pm

ANd yes, no magic teir above AM was one of the FIRST things I said about the game...even in interviews :thumbsup:

Also...this is NOT the suggection topic :wink: +1 +1 +1 +1 +infinity

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 am

It wasnt a suggestion, I was just agreeing with my fellow forumer... :D
One vision, one purpose: Peace through POWER!

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:03 am

BlueTemplar wrote:(In the antimatter annihilation process a lot of energy is lost in the form of weakly interacting neutrinos that nobody has any idea how to extract any energy from.)

And this is the key idea. :) If "plain" matter/antimatter annihilation is only 50% efficient or a lot of energy is lost, then it makes sense that an "enhanced" matter/antimatter annihilation tech that increases the energy capture would be the perfect thing to have in your research tree. :thumbsup:
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

DaNuker

Post by DaNuker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:53 am

If I can recall, I've seen a comparison picture of a SotS 1 -> SotS 2 Hiver ship, and the new middle tier engine was labelled as Fusion +.

This may mean that Fusion energy era is broken into smaller large chunks, with a more efficient "Fusion +" reactor which probably unlocks more technologies.

I wonder what is it going to be called eventually though.

Gryfalcon

Post by Gryfalcon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:41 pm

The new tier of Energy Technology is called Mecron's Rage. It is implemented by repeatedly cloning an ancient computer programmer called Mecron and wiring the clones into a feed of a game developer's board. Fans of the game are simulated making wild assertions about the project. An energy capture plate is placed in front of the Mecron clones and, every time one of them bangs his head against his desk in frustration, enough energy is captured to, say, fire a single Lancer.
Summer grasses:
all that remain of great soldiers’
imperial dreams - Basho

balti knights

Post by balti knights » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:50 pm

Meson Capacitors....In my own private sots universe...blah blah...In fact I think I should shut up now in case I get another slap... :lol:
Last edited by balti knights on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:38 pm

too late...

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:48 am

Ok, so confirm for me; our ships engines aren't just their movement anymore, they also generate energy which we need to keep our eyes on and which we need to power our energy weapons? which means higher level or improved engine cores grant more output? Will we be able to see the available energy on our ships in a bar or some such or do we wait until it goes click and the gunners just sit there cursing on unsecured channels?

Also will we need energy to fire ALL weapons or just energy, because I know that mass drivers need a lot of energy to power the magnetic accelerator that actually fires the round... Oh, and before I forget, does this mean drones need their own power supply too or is that their 'fuel'?
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

Ringsead

Post by Ringsead » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Also, according to my theories of balance, if there is something new... there is also a way to destroy it. If there are capacitors that produce energy for multiple ship systems in a game as strategically diverse as sots, there may be ways of nullifying or leeching that power.

1: You could fire cords to suck another ships energy like an energy vampire.
2: Fire torpedoes that attach to the hull, overloading these capacitors.

I am sure that a ship system this important would have tactics revolving around destroying it. Kinda brings me back to star trek with all those warp core breaches, and other reactor problems... were either sealed off and isolated or the core was ejected, I would rather a ship drift in the water than just take it like a sub going into meltdown... there isn't too much you can do.
This ship had a name, its name was Robert Paulson...

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:24 pm

Could also take a badly damaged ship, order it to Kamikaze, where they purposely overload their reactors literally going out in a bang in the middle of all those enemy ships. Even better make it a dedicated kamikaze ship, attach a gravity well generator to it to pull everyone close THEN explode.

what? everyone knows we research tech to get better ways to blow things up. but yeah, with energy, stuff like disruptor torpedoes and leech rounds will serve a greater purpose. We'll probably be able to get hardened capacitors and such to protect our cores and energy stocks as well. This is where Hivers shine because their engines are bulky, ludicrously well-armored and built to carry maximum weapons. plus they don't need all that energy for FTL jumps.

Which brings up another point. will we need energy to retreat from battle with FTL drive-using races? because I know that's already reflected in the 'it takes X minutes before the Hyperdrive is recharged and retreat is possible'. So if we deprive our enemies of juice they can't run away? 8)
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

Return to “The Tech”