Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Energy Technology

Post by Mecron » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:40 am

science peens away boys and girls...play nice. :thumbsup:

Zalzidrax

Post by Zalzidrax » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:55 am

I'm just amused when things that sound like total B.S. might actually be physically meaningful. :P

Setokaiva

Post by Setokaiva » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:24 pm

I'm not too familiar with it either but I think they 'store' Antimatter with magnetic containment fields?
Be the master of your fate, be the captain of your soul, but do not hesitate, should the chance befall you, to be the slave of your heart. ~Robert Brault

chris0101

Post by chris0101 » Sun May 01, 2011 11:31 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:I wonder why people always think reactors blow up. Even fission reactors don't blow up, they melt. Fusion reactors would just stop working as they can't sustain the fusion process anymore(the only natural fusion processes happen in gigantic flaming balls for a reason).

The only one that could conceivably explode would be an AM reactor, and even then, a properly designed and constructed one shouldn't have more AM inside it than is neccessary to keep running. Which is obviously an amount unfit to just utterly destroy it.

I'd be more worried about the fuel tanks getting hit... reactor hit should just make the ship a sitting, unarmed duck.

Now that I think about it, antimatter reactors won't blow - but what about the antimatter storage sections? They would need to store all of the antimatter that a ship needs for its FTL journeys and provide all of the fuel to power all of the ships systems (engines, weapons, shielding, and things like life support - probably negligible amount of energy compared to the previous 3) when the ship arrives. That should be enough antimatter to do quite some damage, unless the ship is nearly out of fuel.

I suppose that the only other possibility is some sort of advanced mechanism to contain the antimatter that we don't know about. Then again, Mecron indicated his aversion to making up "technobobble".
"Never trust a traitor, not even one you create."
- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Gwenio

Post by Gwenio » Sun May 01, 2011 11:42 pm

Zalzidrax wrote:Though antimatter explodes on contact with any normal matter so I'm having a hard time seeing how you'd make that "safe"... exotic matter cladding or something very weird? Still that only makes it not explode if you lose power, it wouldn't solve the problem of an actual hole in the antimatter storage.

Keeping normal matter (ballistics projectiles) out?

Setokaiva wrote:I'm not too familiar with it either but I think they 'store' Antimatter with magnetic containment fields?

That is my (very limited) understanding, in which case what you need to worry about is not a hole, but the power being turned off or something entering the containment field.Though it is possible to generate a magnetic field without power (for electo magnets), it is much weaker (at least with current tech levels and materials to work with).

Master

Post by Master » Mon May 02, 2011 11:44 am

It's actually pretty easy to prevent the antimatter from exploding when you lose power: just make sure that when the power fails, permanent magnets flush the anti-matter out to space. You only have to worry about friendly fire in that case, but space is pretty big.

Of course, this is not as easy as it sounds, but it's a good starting point.
"The next best thing to have after a reliable ally is a predictable enemy"

evil713

Post by evil713 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:59 am

Would you store antimatter or would you be at the level that you make antimatter as you need it?

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed May 04, 2011 7:35 am

Somehow this question reminds me of the ridiculous idea of building a car that makes the hydrogen it runs on as it goes along...

1 Gummi-point for everybody who can figure out why that idea is stupid.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed May 04, 2011 6:34 pm

yeah...no asking the easy ones...specially in a dedicated topic :thumbsup:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat May 07, 2011 7:06 am

actually its NOT what this topic is for...which was kinda the clue I was trying to convey ;)

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sat May 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Btw, what kind of fission reactor design is used in SotS 1? Because, unless I'm mistaken, all the fission reactor concepts powerful enough to power a spaceship use water, and I don't see that working on an actual spaceship...

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat May 07, 2011 7:48 pm

read a book

remmon

Post by remmon » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:08 am

BlueTemplar wrote:Btw, what kind of fission reactor design is used in SotS 1? Because, unless I'm mistaken, all the fission reactor concepts powerful enough to power a spaceship use water, and I don't see that working on an actual spaceship...

Liquid metal reactors, as used in a number of Russian nuclear submarines.
Liquid salt reactors, as proposed and tested for fourth generation reactors, including reactors that can burn Thorium and most of our highly radioactive waste.

You can get a good idea of pretty much every possible engine design for STL right here: http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/enginelist.php
And you can find a list of fourth generation nuclear reactors here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_IV_reactor

Return to “The Tech”